Author Topic: San Diego to Puerto Vallarta 1200 Miles One Way  (Read 939 times)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
San Diego to Puerto Vallarta 1200 Miles One Way
« on: February 13, 2023, 06:16:19 PM »
Thought I would post some trip information I have put together. I have done so much research for this trip it's a lot of work like building another boat:) What I have posted below is a copy of an Excel spreadsheet I have come up because I'm running 2 tanks I wanted a back up to my Garmin information. I'm sure my Garmin would do it all somehow but I'm still old school, I want a secondary conformation of what fuel I have left. There are only 3 for sure fuel stops in 1200 miles so fuel is super important. I have 162 gallons below the deck and just picked up a 60 gallon pillow style fuel bladder to sit on top of the deck. I like the spread sheet because I can estimate how long I can travel at any given mpg and see what I should have at my destination. I have also posted my planed route from San Diego to Cabo. I put this together on my Ipad Active Captain App then I can download it to my chartploter. I will post some pictures at the end of the trip, pretty much no cell service all the way down. Hope to be on the water by 3-3-2023 planning 8-14 days, depends on how good the fishing is on the way down. As you will see in my excel file there is a lot of cruising at trolling speed by design. Also save on the fuel bill:)

Not sure why the fule calk did not show up...PGN files should work? Thanks for the heads up Brian, I see the thumbnail for my fuel calculation chart attachment now:)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 08:49:35 AM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: San Diego to Puerto Vallarta 1200 Miles One Way
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 07:54:58 AM »
Cool, thanks!  The file didn't show up since it is a PDF format file, but it's there as an attachment and clicking on it works, FYI
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 03:21:10 PM »
A few pictures of my ride to Puerto Vallarta for the guest lurking on the web site that are not familiar with my build. GA Kodiak 31'4"
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 05:09:15 PM »

Does your route take into consideration the prevailing currents?  It could be that on one side or the other of a current stream, that you'd make better progress and go further on your gas?  Or am I out to lunch ... ?
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 12:40:34 PM »

Does your route take into consideration the prevailing currents?  It could be that on one side or the other of a current stream, that you'd make better progress and go further on your gas?  Or am I out to lunch ... ?
I do know the prevailing currents and sea should be on my stern for the most part. Although I did not think about the current being different close in or further out from shore. I will look into that...thanks for the tip
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

tom e

• Midshipman
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 07:06:41 AM »
What a great looking boat!  Your careful attention to detail and thoughtful design jumps out at me.

Question:  How did you account for (potential) bad weather?

te
Tolman Jumbo launched Sept '22

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 08:22:22 AM »
What a great looking boat!  Your careful attention to detail and thoughtful design jumps out at me.

Question:  How did you account for (potential) bad weather?

te
Thanks Tom for the compliment!!!  If we hit bad weather the only real option is to find a protective anchorage hopefully in a cove that offers some protection from the storm. Drop anchor and hold on and wait for it to pass:) Weather down there this time of year is normally pretty good
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 08:26:30 AM by Grady300 »
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021