Author Topic: 400# Black Marlin  (Read 728 times)

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
400# Black Marlin
« on: May 18, 2023, 01:44:04 PM »
Went out on a shakedown fishing trip to work out all the bugs before really going after it. What a surprise when this baby decided to kick our butts. Took 4 1/2 hours to land it, all 5 of us had mutable turns at cranking on the reel. I originally guessed the weight at 350 but have had many here say it's at least 400+. Its going to be a fun summer, fishing season is just starting
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 01:44:59 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 400# Black Marlin
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 03:18:10 PM »
Holy cow! Nice marlin! Get some of the locals to turn some of that into pescado ahumado and have a party!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 03:26:57 PM »
OMG!!!!

Good job Chuck!!!!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 04:42:53 PM »
Thanks!! It was a catch of a lifetime. It did take everyone on board to do their part.  I sure hope she continues to get bloody decks, starting off with a hard act to follow!
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 07:02:47 PM »
Thanks!! It was a catch of a lifetime. It did take everyone on board to do their part.  I sure hope she continues to get bloody decks, starting off with a hard act to follow!

I like the teensy gaff laying on the gunnel while you've got a monster fish on your line ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 07:31:14 AM »

I like the teensy gaff laying on the gunnel while you've got a monster fish on your line ...
Yea ya sure had to keep that gaff off the rail...lol Time for an up grade!!!
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 06:13:32 PM »
I don't even dream that big. 
Nice job, I can't wait to see what you bring in next!

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 06:57:41 PM »
What a Fish!

Ms Jones, my wife, and our dog just finished a 325 mile trip from Juneau to Petersburg, around Kupernoff Island to Kake, through Rocky pass and Back to Juneau with a stop at Pybus Bay. Enjoyed the annual Little Norway festival in Petersburg.  Ran into Djeffery in both Juneau and Petersburg and checked out his most beautiful craft. We settled on a name for the boat, it is Sa'sta, Gaelic for happy, just like my Irish Bride of 35 years.

Got the boat in some very steep 7- 8 footers in Sumner Straight. green water over the bow but not to wet of a ride with the bulwarks. Boat handled perfectly, but for a few minutes seemed much smaller than my 46 foot sailboat. All and all it handled the adverse waves quit well.

Ms Jones let me fish only until I filled up the room left in our onboard refrigerator. Therefore I was able to fish for a total of 10 minuets at the entrance to Rocky Pass before I caught this one and plugged the refer. Boat picture is in Pybus Bay, and also included a picture of Ms Jones sunbathing Southeast Alaska style.