Author Topic: Cost?  (Read 353 times)

gump

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cost?
« on: March 28, 2024, 08:18:20 AM »
I was wondering if anyone could give a rough estimate for what it would cost for all lumber, resin, fiberglass. I understand there are a lot of variables but would like some sort of an idea.

Would there be anything wrong with buying a drum of resin? I can get a drum delivered to West Marine for free.

Thanks Darrell

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Cost?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 03:23:22 PM »

I wouldn't buy a drum of resin or hardener unless it's a brand/type that does NOT crystalize if it accidentally gets too cold.  Can't imagine how you'd reheat it to de-crystalize it ... and once it's crystalized once, it'll crystalize more easily in the future (due to tiny crystals that didn't quite melt and now act as nucleation sites).

Cost: Motor, boat, trailer, electronics etc ... $30k is the cheapest I've seen and I'm afraid to ask what the other end of the spectrum is - there are some fantastic boats out there.  I imagine that $45k to $50k is a reasonably economic target, but you can take it to the limit if you want as well.  Appraised values have ranged from $125k through over $350k when on the water.  It's a fair and safe investment, and will run less than half the price of a used commercially-built boat of similar size and class.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

gump

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 04:18:12 PM »
I thought 50k was what I had read before. Didn't know what inflation had done to the prices.

I know it is a very good value compared to buying a similar production boat.

Building is getting to be more of a reality for me and I get nervous thinking about it lol.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 04:43:56 AM »
There is no way I would have the 30' bad ass Kodiak that I have, unless I built it myself. Build it you won't regret it especially when it's done
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 06:38:21 AM »
There is no way I would have the 30' bad ass Kodiak that I have, unless I built it myself. Build it you won't regret it especially when it's done

Agree ... go ride in someone's Great Alaskan ... it's a very addictive experience! 

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2024, 07:58:27 PM »
Built, not bought is the way to go.  In your original question you asked about just the boat, no goodies.  I would think you would have no problem buying the wood, glass, and epoxy for the 50K you mentioned.  If your budgeting a full build be reasonable, make a few calls.  Just my outboards and the associated rigging was 30K.  I ended up more than 3x the proposal I showed the wife.......But have you seen my boat? 8) 8)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2024, 06:55:25 AM »
Built, not bought is the way to go.  In your original question you asked about just the boat, no goodies.  I would think you would have no problem buying the wood, glass, and epoxy for the 50K you mentioned.  If your budgeting a full build be reasonable, make a few calls.  Just my outboards and the associated rigging was 30K.  I ended up more than 3x the proposal I showed the wife.......But have you seen my boat? 8) 8)

"Sorry, Dear ... no birthday present for you this year ... and, er, uhhh ... no Christmas present either... Hey!  Wanna go fishing!?"

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 08:22:22 PM »

"Sorry, Dear ... no birthday present for you this year ... and, er, uhhh ... no Christmas present either... Hey!  Wanna go fishing!?"
I got about 110k in mine with nice new tandem aluminum trailer designed for a GA (its for sale) very well outfitted with 1242SVX Garmin gear including a invaluable auto pilot with seperate GPD tracking to drive the auto pilot flawlessly, color tracking HD radar, 65 gallon bait tank, outriggers, tuna tubes, Separate pumps for both, eclectic flush toilets for the ladies, sleeping for at least 3, 2 burner cooktop, grill that fits in my rod holders and enough hose to reach anywhere on the boat. , frig/freezer, sound system, full solar panels, never need to plug into shore power, Smart charger for both acid start batteries and 2ea. 100 AH lithium house batteries, dinette, rain water catch system on the roof, windless, euro transom, custom made rod holders, bow thruster, and a lady catcher she is!!!! Custom windows with screens, sliding wheelhouse door., lockable side rod lockers on the deck, Underfloor fish hold, Fish Fighter sliding rod holder system, 162 total gallons of fuel, 30 gallons of fresh water, oh did I mention my bow thruster this was a must have for me, intermittent wipers, 48" super bright light on the roof, Bluetooth battery monitoring system, smoke and carbon detection,  Cuddy and cabin cab lights, great AIS Lowrance radio, dual antennas. You could not touch this boat in a factory made boat for less than 450K. Drove it safely from San Diego to PV, 8 days and nights down the pacific side of Baha 1350 miles. Oh BTW the Black Marlin still holds the largest Black marlin record for the last 4 years at 450# My lady friend is just that were a good friends, I here she has a cute sister:)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 08:47:56 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 08:53:33 AM »
Wow Grady how much extra did it cost to outfit with the hot blonde? 😝😝😝😝😝

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 08:59:12 AM »
I?m guessing I have between 70,000 and 80,000 in my 28 footer. Lots of bells and whistles. Auto pilot, radar, chartplotter, water heater. Cabin heat. Been finished for two summers and been on priceless adventures in this boat.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 09:02:10 AM »
My hot blonde

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2024, 12:27:39 AM »
I am into mine for 120k.  Garmin 1243 xsv, reactor autopilot on main, new phantom radar, and garmin vhf with dsc and ais, and lowrance hds7 touch.   Wallas diesel heater and spare diesel tank,  Bentley helm chair, intermittent wipers on all 3 windshields with 3 zones with washer.  Ez anchor 4.  Galley sink pipes to sump discharge or divert to holding tank. bin fridge, origo stove.  Maximized v berth with hanging locker.  Second station.  120, and 50 gallon belly tanks.  20 gallons fresh water, in floor insulated fish box. Matching port and starboard underfloor storage for fenders and lines.  Raw and fresh water wash down.  Rod rack plus rod holders.  Scotty electric high speed braid downriggers.  200 watts solar, acid start battery, 206 AH lifepo4 house battery.  Aluminum tandem trailer with electric over hydraulic disc brakes.  Sherpa boat winch wireless.  250 Suzuki drive by wire.  4? static transom offset with 4? jackplate.  20 Hp Suzuki efi kicker.  Painted with Alexseal. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 12:36:23 AM by Todd j »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2024, 07:24:12 AM »
Wow ... what a great thread so far!  Very helpful to those in the planning stages!

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 09:50:43 AM »
I didn't track cost of my build but I am guessing somewhere in the ballpark of $80k for my 29' kodiak, with yamaha digital engine/controls/steering, garmin 1243xsv, 24" garmin radar, pacific edge 80 gallon dual bait tank, 2x 200Ah kilovault lifepo4 house batteries, rebel ez5 anchor puller, and a 10k gvw custom built trailer from west coast trailers being the main spends. I started on a shoe string budget and just purchased a couple gallons of epoxy and some plywood and glass to start tooling around, and just purchased things little by little as I needed them. It helped me get invested into the project before I got my wife's hackles up and then I was committed so there was no turning back lol. The boat has been a ton of fun, my new project is getting my son up to speed so I have a partner in crime to adventure with... We went out to backside of Catalina the other day and got him on a couple calicos for his first bendo sesh.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2024, 05:14:33 PM »
I love the CI.  Cant wait for this fall