Author Topic: GA 28  (Read 2704 times)

rolmiester

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
GA 28
« on: September 08, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »
I am now the proud owner of xrayengineers Ga  He did a lot of great work there and should be proud of it .I plan to finish it off for  jan 2016 if things go to plan. that said. Is any one out there pushing their GA with a 150  I have a 2013 merc 150 4 stroke that I would love to put on it but I am worried it's not enough power any input welcome
Thanks
Rolmiester
Roland

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: GA 28
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »
Congrats on the boat!

As for that 150 ...it really depends on what you'll put into the boat and how heavy it ends up. Is your merc an XL shaft? 25"?  Butch, as seen on our home page, is running a 26-er with a Suzi 140 and it's adequate. Turning steeply into large waves/swells will dog it a tad now and then but otherwise, he says it has plenty of power...

Brian
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:17:41 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GA 28
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
David Nolan in Maryland has a 27' Tolman Jumbo with a 150 Honda, open cabin.  He says he'd go with a 200 if he had it to do over.  Several guys are putting 175 Suzukis on their 24' and 25' Jumbos here in Homer.  That said, it all depends on how you finish the boat and what you haul.  I'm running a 225 on my GA 26.  200 would have been enough, but I love it.

By the way, congrats on getting Jim's hull.  I got a lot of inspiration from him, as he started his build a few months ahead of me and I'd read his blog every week.  Happy to hear it has a new home.  Best of luck to you finishing it.

Dave in Homer