Author Topic: Estimate for the plywood for the superstructure  (Read 8130 times)

xrayengineer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Estimate for the plywood for the superstructure
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »
I am going this week to get the plywood to build the superstructure of the boat  (pilot house and cuddy).  Lets say for the prince rupert model.

Does anyone have an estimate for how many sheets it will take and the thicknesses?  I was thinking about 10 or 12 sheets should be close.....

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Estimate for the plywood for the superstructure
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 01:25:51 PM »
Look at pages 14-17 in the first set of construction manual you will find it there
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

xrayengineer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 08:01:08 PM »
That is only for the hull, not the superstructure of part 2.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:51:25 PM »
Good point I miss red the post
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
It is very difficult to estimate waste when building the superstructure since many small pieces are cut out of larger ones.  Add to that the very broad range of ideas that people have when building the superstructure, and you start to realize that estimating wood for it is difficult.  That said, the way I would go about it is to look through the manual and write down the various thicknesses of plywood suggested for the various parts (sides, roof, furniture etc), then make some rough square footage estimates from a sketch of what you'd like to do, and then make your estimate for number of sheets from there.  I find that almost always, the trailing end of these types of boat projects becomes a "buy it as you need it" sort of thing ...you can likely come up with a 70% accurate answer for your own project, but trying to get things perfect is likely to fail.  If you insist on only using a type of wood that has to be shipped to your location, then I would try to find a local outfit that ships wood from a supplier that also sells what you want and then try to work out a deal that lets you add a few sheets at a time to their regular order ...to minimize shipping costs.  OR, find a local supplier of plywood that you can be happy with and adopt the "buy it as you need it" philosophy.

I know this wasn't much help, but it's exactly what I would personally do and what I'd have to do for you if I made an estimate for you ...otherwise, there are no accurate estimates recorded anywhere, including in my own documentation ...and these are the reasons why.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:05:19 AM »
Get as much as you can afford now, the time in the build will give you time to think ahead when you have the near to final design you want, things change as you build, have for me!
Not waving....... Drowning!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »
So true ...I think pretty close to 100% of builders change their minds about 3X while doing the build.  A little extra wood is good to have around.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Saxe Point

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »
Do you recommend marine grade plywood for superstructure and if so, the high end Okume stuff?  Are there advantages to going with the higher end mahoganies for,superstructure?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 06:56:07 AM »
Okoume will give you a better flat easy to fair out finish much easier than doug fir but in any case personally I would only use a marine grade material. The other choice IMHO to save some money and also give you an excellent flat finish is by using MDO plywood. It is made with same glue as marine ply and used for out door signs. It has a thin paper finish on it that the epoxy soaks through well.
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
While you can use any exterior grade plywood for the superstructure, I will concur with using one of the mahogany-like marine (or exterior grade) plywoods for superstructure.  When you get to the fairing steps of the process, you will greatly appreciate the lack of swirly grain embossed on the face of each piece of wood that needs fairing...

Brian

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 11:21:08 PM »
Can I purchase a pre-cut superstructure for GA 28?  Thx

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »
Can I purchase a pre-cut superstructure for GA 28?  Thx

I don't think that's available from anyone, although you could toss the idea around with the CNC kit makers listed here and see if they'd go that route.  Personally, I expect that most people 'do their own thing' with houses and cuddies, so a kit for the superstructure may not be worth their effort if everyone wants something other than what they offer.  Dunno... Never hurts to ask!

Brian