Author Topic: Started  (Read 3687 times)

Alpine74

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Started
« on: March 15, 2019, 03:39:17 PM »
Hello everyone, I have been following this site and the fishy fish website for approx. five years.  I have already learned a ton of stuff from many of you, but have never really participated until now.
I needed a place for this project back in 2016 and decided to build a garage first.  Then begin my boat project.  My garage was mostly completed by 2018 and I was becoming impatient, and decided to just start something.  So last winter, with the advice of Cannon and twisted to others forum members I decided to just “get the sawdust flying”.

Currently I have built the frame, cut plywood and glued everything together for the lower Haul.  I wanted to make the boat wider and was re-reading Brian’s comments on how wide he would permit and was going to PM him.  Then yesterday he commented on the appendix he was developing to widen the boat.  It was music to my ears.  I have decided to wait and clean up my other projects before I begin working on the chines and wait until the appendix is released.
My plan for this build is to perform most of the work during the winter months, or when I have spare time/money.  I will post some pictures soon of progress.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 03:42:40 PM by Alpine74 »

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Started
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:23:01 PM »
Welcome, looking forword to watching your project. I too just started but have made my chines so, smaller old style for me. I figure I can do without the 8 inches. Send lots of pics, we all seem to love those.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 09:01:39 AM »
Welcome aboard!  I'm going to get the addendum out the door as quickly as I can (given family duty etc)!  GLAD to hear about sawdust flying ... you just started a project that'll touch you the rest of your life :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 01:13:09 PM »
Alpine, now is a perfect time to design your fuel tanks, where you want to route the fuel lines (and if aluminum tanks remember to install and route the tank bonding wires!), if you want ventilation through the tank/bilge area or not, draw up your electrical diagram, figure out where you want batteries, whether you want a main engine and kicker and how and where you're going to install them, what paint system you want to use, non-skid, etc. There are a million details, and in the times you can't build it's good to talk to people, research, and make some decisions so when the time comes you can just get moving.

Once you flip the hull you can really get into laying out the cabin, back deck, etc. so to some extent that can wait.

I say this because we had a few weeks of delay mid-project when we could have been really cranking when we were testing paints and non-skid and I was shocked at all the decisions to make in this regard, and how hard it was to get some of the products, at least up to Alaska. Also the fuel tanks were more expensive than I anticipated and took longer to get, so that slowed us down quite a bit when we were chomping on the bit to sling epoxy.

Good luck!

Alpine74

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 09:46:45 PM »
Thanks for the information Dan.  This is a project on top of other projects for me.  I live in Canada which proves to be a pain in the dairy-air for buying Epoxy.  So many things to plan for and to source.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 10:19:06 AM »
Alpine,

Welcome and congrats on getting started.  I recommend planning ahead for fuel tanks, specifically where the inspection plates will go.  I discovered after the fact one of my inspection ports are in the middle of my aft cabin bulkhead which adds more work and planning. 

Cant wait to see your progress.

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »
I live in Canada which proves to be a pain in the dairy-air for buying Epoxy. 

I see from your profile that you are in PG... 
FYI - There was a guy from Chilliwack on FishyFish that did a Tolman a couple years back, and he sourced epoxy and glass materials from "Composite 1" in Langley.

Hope that helps.