Author Topic: Which Clamps  (Read 5410 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Which Clamps
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »
Jorgensen makes a lot of them, how long is short? medium? long? 

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Which Clamps
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:58:23 PM »
Rob ...Yes, I love Jorgenson clamps.  I use the 6" Jorgenson Clamps the most, and the 12" version the second most.  I also use the 12" Irwin Quick Grip Clamps quite a lot too.  I have one spreader clamp that I never use, and a couple of 48" Jorgenson clamps that I never use.  I use a pair of pipe clamps that let me clamp things wider or taller than a boat if I need to ...but I rarely use them either.  Having about 10 of the 6" Jorgensons and about 10 of the 12" Jorgensons is a great start... And yes, I keep the clamp pads on nearly all of my clamps - it helps prevent dents in wood that I have to fix later.

I also use a stack of 12-18 squeeze clamps too.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Easygoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »
I have seen several wood-working videos where guys were using clamps similar to this:
http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-tools/the-original-locking-c-clamps-with-swivel-pads

Very fast once you have your clamp set.

Easygoing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:07:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  If all goes right I will be starting this fall on my 26-29 Great Alaskan.

WCR247

• Midshipman
  • Son of a Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 09:22:45 PM »
Rob ...Yes, I love Jorgenson clamps.  I use the 6" Jorgenson Clamps the most, and the 12" version the second most.  I also use the 12" Irwin Quick Grip Clamps quite a lot too.  I have one spreader clamp that I never use, and a couple of 48" Jorgenson clamps that I never use.  I use a pair of pipe clamps that let me clamp things wider or taller than a boat if I need to ...but I rarely use them either.  Having about 10 of the 6" Jorgensons and about 10 of the 12" Jorgensons is a great start... And yes, I keep the clamp pads on nearly all of my clamps - it helps prevent dents in wood that I have to fix later.

I also use a stack of 12-18 squeeze clamps too.

Brian

I know this is an old post, but this topic is my homework for the week. I am gearing up for the holiday sales and have almost zero usable clamps. Would you still agree that this is a good starting point for clamps or has there been any change in opinion over the last 6 years?
Sail away, Sail away, Three sheets to the wind. Live Hard, Die Hard, This ones for him.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 11:20:27 PM »
I bought an assortment of what I considered pretty good clamps not the cheapest (Bessey), but looking back I dont think it will matter a hill of beans.  Irwin at the big box stores or whatever you can get will be fine.  12" I used the most, I have some 18" and some pipe clamps.

On edit, most of my clamps are the 6" ones and most useful.  Nice to have a few of the others.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:01:32 PM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 09:09:40 AM »
I bought an assortment of what I considered pretty good clamps not the cheapest (Bessey), but looking back I dont think it will matter a hill of beans.  Irwin at the big box stores or whatever you can get will be fine.  12" I used the most, I have some 18" and some pipe clamps.

Agree.  I like to have a pile of the 6" Jorgensen-style steel bar clamps too, plus a pile of the spring-loaded squeeze style clamps ... little and large.  I use the short Jorgensens the most, usually only switching up to the 12" ones if I run out of the 6-ers.  Pipe clamps and cheap black pipe are handy for getting clear across the  hull when necessary.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

WCR247

• Midshipman
  • Son of a Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 08:34:23 PM »
Rbob, yea I am a harbor freight kind of guy. Most of their tools work just fine for me. Just hard to tell what sizes to invest in. Brian, thanks for the good info. I have a few big bar clamps, think I'll look out for a deal on some 6" clamps to get started.
Sail away, Sail away, Three sheets to the wind. Live Hard, Die Hard, This ones for him.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 10:05:23 PM »
This style of spring clamp worked the best for holding glass in place and they have some bigger versions.  Priced right and work great.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/clamps-vises/spring-clamps/1-12-in-nylon-spring-clamp-69292.html

WCR247

• Midshipman
  • Son of a Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2020, 02:16:36 AM »
This style of spring clamp worked the best for holding glass in place and they have some bigger versions.  Priced right and work great.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/clamps-vises/spring-clamps/1-12-in-nylon-spring-clamp-69292.html

Thanks! I think I can definitely garb a handful of those for that price lol. I see they are a common item in a lot of build pictures.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »
I  bought my clamps at HF too.  About a dozen plastic clothespin style and 6 of the adjustable bar clamps.   I bought 12 and 18 inch I think.  I could have got by with all shorter ones.  I can say that epoxy in the tiny grooves of the adjustable lamps have made them ready for the garbage can.  They are cheap so no biggy