Author Topic: Can I build the transom first?  (Read 75886 times)

starbright55

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Re: Can I build the transom first?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2014, 08:38:17 PM »
Vicent, I'm going to be watching you closely.  It's seems like you'll be asking some of the same questions that I will .  I already have my list of questions for Brian written out based on reading and rereading the plans.  I may have to stop by for a visit some time!  Born in Fresno,  live in San Diego, and still get up to the valley quite often.  Good luck!!!

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 05:12:48 AM »
ha!
Anyone remember a cartoon character ""Noddy"" in a boat rag some place?
Never forget one.
Well, Noddy got hold of his boat plans, the half breaths - frame drawings, often times these are drawn in halves, hence ''half breaths'' ok, got the picture? No? ok, one side of the center line is the forward half of the hulls frames drawn and on the other side is the aft half of the hulls frames drawn, all for clarity ok, as otherwise frames get drawn on top of each other, can be confusing.
Well, Noddy in the last frame of the casrtoon was standing looking over his built hull scratching his noggin, whilst looking at the half breath plans.
He built the hull as drawn, had half a transom at each end of the hull..... lol
Just trying to draw
Not waving....... Drowning!

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-69039.html

I found the solution to my shop space.  The portable garage above is listed for $179.99 if you have the coupon.  This garage will work perfect for my standard 2-car garage.  I have not heard anything from Chuck yet.  Not sure if he will make me a correct bottom panel.

In the worst case I have to fix the bottom panel myself.  Can I use wood flour and epoxy to make the missing wood portion of the bottom panel?  I plan to line it up with the other side, use a piece of plastic to separate them, then fill it up with wood flour mixed with epoxy.   Will this work?

Thanks,
Vincent     

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2014, 04:12:28 PM »
Just let me know when.. Vincent

Vicent, I'm going to be watching you closely.  It's seems like you'll be asking some of the same questions that I will .  I already have my list of questions for Brian written out based on reading and rereading the plans.  I may have to stop by for a visit some time!  Born in Fresno,  live in San Diego, and still get up to the valley quite often.  Good luck!!!

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »
Hello Brian

All pre-cut shelves/gunnels have deep slots at the joints.  How to install or glue these joints for maximum benefit?

Thanks,
Vincent

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »
Hello Brian

All pre-cut shelves/gunnels have deep slots at the joints.  How to install or glue these joints for maximum benefit?

Thanks,
Vincent

It's a side effect of the LVL construction process... there are strict standards on where voids may occur, e.g. towards the center of the beam.  Unless in the outer layers (first 3 or so), they do NOT impact the strength of the beam.  But with all things related to building a boat in wood, the best practice is to fill them.  I like to take a chip brush and paint clear unthickened epoxy inside the slots or voids that you find, (usually) let it cure, then fill the slots with any type of thickened epoxy ...plain wood flour thickened, or wood flour blended with silica.  I generally use the 'general purpose fillet mix' of 80% wood flour, 20% silica (you can go higher on the silica if you want ...but not necessary).  I fill the edges of ply and LVL before glassing (if glassed) or final coats (if not glassed).

Note that voids in the outer layers of LVL would indicate an out-of-standard manufacturing defect ...BUT!  If the LVL has a void in the outermost layer, then it's OK to just fill it and use it.  Larger voids in the 2nd or 3rd lamination (ply) should be filled ...from both sides if necessary, and this is fine for the Great Alaskan ...just fill and then keep going.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dave Collett-Paule

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2015, 04:12:12 PM »
Vincent, the slots in your photo look like they were cut with a biscuit joiner to aid in aligning the pieces when you glue them up.  Chuck would be able to confirm this.

Happy 2015 toall,

Dave

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 09:07:18 AM »
You are correct about biscuit joiner.  As Brian suggested, I think just fill them with thickened epoxy would make stronger joints.  Thx

Vincent, the slots in your photo look like they were cut with a biscuit joiner to aid in aligning the pieces when you glue them up.  Chuck would be able to confirm this.

Happy 2015 toall,

Dave

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 07:49:09 PM »
Hello Brian,
The difference of my building jig corner-to-corner diagonals is 1/4"...  Is it okay to move on?  I could not get the exact measurement.
Thanks,
Vincent

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 09:00:03 PM »
Hello Brian,
The difference of my building jig corner-to-corner diagonals is 1/4"...  Is it okay to move on?  I could not get the exact measurement.
Thanks,
Vincent

Yes ...close enough!  Even if you got it perfect, it would be off by a quarter of an inch in a bit anyway.

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »
Hello Brian and everyone,
Chuck sent Ryan to my house to inspect the bottom panels.  There was a mislabeling on my bottom panels (starboard vs port).  Everything works perfect now.  I am sorry for the false alarm.  Thanks Brian, Chuck, and Ryan.
Vincent   

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 10:48:14 AM »
Hello Brian and everyone,
Chuck sent Ryan to my house to inspect the bottom panels.  There was a mislabeling on my bottom panels (starboard vs port).  Everything works perfect now.  I am sorry for the false alarm.  Thanks Brian, Chuck, and Ryan.
Vincent

Awesome!  Glad to hear that it all worked out for you!!  I knew Chuck would see things through until all things were satisfactory ...he's a great guy.

Brian

PS: Now get crackin' and get that boat in the water!

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 09:27:23 AM »
Hello Brian
I am about to place the bottom panels on the bottom molds.  Just want to make sure I am doing right because I am not familiar with boating vocabularies.  Attached is Chuck's photo regarding bottom molds facing direction.  Mold number 4 is 16" measured from the front.  Should the mold plywood edge placed at 16" mark and in the same direction like the one in the photo? (in this case the edge of the 2x4 will be around 11").  Thanks Brian.  Vincent 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »

The aft face of all molds go on the locations specified.  That's the back face ...towards the stern.  It really doesn't matter which side of the mold has the 2x4 that you screw it into (and which gets clamped then screwed to the building jig).  The drawing shows the mold locations and the notes on the drawing tell you which face of the mold goes on the line (004C).

As for the 2x4s that help guarantee a straight keel, as shown in in 006, are placed on either side of the fairbody seam inside the boat, screwed in place from underneath.  They are only 6" away from the seam at this point.  I don't know why the picture that you posted shows 2x4s clear up at the chine ...that's not where they go.

Brian

Vicent59

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2015, 08:39:02 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Any tips on how to make the bow bottom panels line up easier?  Thanks.  Vincent