Author Topic: Hello from BobC in VA  (Read 4090 times)

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello from BobC in VA
« on: May 07, 2015, 07:50:54 PM »
Hello to everyone.  I'm BobC in the piedmont region of VA.  I took advantage of the spring sale and bought the GA plans this AM.  I have been looking for the right boat to build for almost a year.  It has been a long journey but I think I am near the end.  I am looking for a boat that can handle the rough waters of Oregon Inlet, NC and still be at home in the fairly shallow waters of the sounds, Cheseapeake Bay and the local lakes around home.  Some of you probably know me from the FishyFish forum.  I have been considering a Jumbo build.  The only thing holding me back is I wanted aslightly wider boat at the deck and a slightly different arrangement forward with a less pronounced trunk on the cuddy if not entirely flat.  I also think the proportions of the GA might be slightly more in line with the hardtop wheelhouse setup.  I am only looking to go to 24' LOA as that is about the practical limits of my shop for building so rather than stretching like most, I am looking at subtracting a foot while maintaining the width.  I like some of the profile features and sheer of the Prince Rupert but don't need the full galley setup and will likely shorten the wheelhouse to give me additional cockpit space. I don't particularly want the curbed roof on it and like the simplicity of the Rockport layout. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Hello from BobC in VA
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »
All sounds great, Bob.  A 24-foot Great Alaskan will run more efficiently than a 24-foot Jumbo ...the (nearly) prismatic hull and finer entry is what makes the difference (on plane).

Oh ...and welcome aboard!

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Striper

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 10:14:36 AM »
Welcome Bob. 

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:46:01 AM »
Thanks Brian and Striper!

Just got word the Cobia and Drum  are running a little early and have moved up off the VA coast.  Hopefully it won't be too many years before I have my boat complete and can be down there chasing them.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-outdoor-photos/675271-run-run-run-around-i-run-around-spades-drum-cobia.html

Here's my progress and checklist.

1. Place/tools to build.  Done.  Insulated/Heated garage
2. Plans purchased.  Done
3. Plans tweaked.  I've now got the bottom redrawn according to lengthen/shorten specs at 24', the chines redrawn to reflect the additional 1" with a slight reverse angle, the transom redrawn to accommodate the additional chine width and and a slight change in the side angle to keep it all inside the 8'6" trailering limit. Working on cabin layout and arrangement.  I guess you could call this the widebody GA?

4. Materials.  I think I have a couple good sources for plywood located and a source for epoxy.  Also researching glass suppliers and layups.  Almost done.
5. Complete the wifes list of unfinished house projects before I start another project.  This might take a month or two but making progress.  Meanwhile I am buying and stockpiling my materials.  Hopefully it won;t be too long before I can post an actual build thread. ;D

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »
Sounds like great progress!!   8)

I like that ...the "Widebody Great Alaskan".  How about "Greater Alaskan", and the super-stretch version, "Greaterer Alaskan"?  LOL...  Big Mamma Jamma?

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:38:07 PM »
Welcome, I look forward to your build.

Bob