Author Topic: BobC's build in Virginia  (Read 32392 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: BobC's build in Virginia
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 07:57:32 AM »
Extra work, sure ...but that's one of the nice things about building a boat for yourself.  You GET TO do what YOU want...

I wonder how hard it'll be to fair a concave curve?  A long board won't do it unless very narrow, perhaps followed by finishing it up with a careful eye and sanding by hand?    If so, you may wish to use an old finishing trick ...paint the boat with primer that hides the underlying colors and lines and it'll be easier to see the humps and hollows ...sand and fill as appropriate, then paint with the epoxy compatible primer and check again etc.

As for strength, the plywood will be just as strong as always if you fill the saw cuts with epoxy and glass over all of it (which you do anyway).

Keep us posted ...this is fun stuff.

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »
Picked up the LVL's for the stringers and transom over last weekend.  Ran them through the thickness planer last night to take off the wax.  I also used the template to cut out the starboard side.  Hope to get the stringers roughed out tonite depending on what the weather does and what time I get home.

The mock up is all taken down and the bottom is ready to test fit the stringers and flip over and put back on the jig cart.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »
You want the bottom to conform to the stringers, not the other way around.  You'll want to cut the stringers accurately, mount them up, and lower the bottom panel assembly onto them and let it settle out.... mark it up, glue and screw. 

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 02:02:15 PM »
Yes, I am planning to cut stringers according to stock plans and make the hull conform to fit them.  The test fit will be to see where I need to be on length as I have to make it all fit in the garage with only about 2" of room to spare so I can't leave them full length and cut off after transom fitment as in the plans.  :(  Not planning to change anything other than the length on them.   Also need to check that I am not bumping the floor now with my extended bowstem.  Might need to add a couple inches height to the jig to accommodate it.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »
Sounds perfect ...except you do know that making a boat shorter is against the law?  ::)   Ask Ed...

Brian

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2016, 10:21:31 AM »
 ;D

Got the first stringer cut out last night.  Was surprised at how easy it was to do.   

My process was:

1. Mark out the lines/points of the stringer, according to the lofting plans.
2. drive some finish nails on the points
3. place a batten around the points/nails and mark the curve.
4. set the Circular saw base at 13 degree bevel and cut the length of the stringer.

Step 4 worked very well and I was able to cut the curve without a problem, as such I decided to cut the remaining angle changes the same way.

5. Cut a series of angle blocks on the miter saw to use for set guages on the base of the circular saw
6. Cut the increasing bevel angle on the bottom of the stringer by gradually adjusting angle of the base as I moved toward the bow.

When I was finished, the cut was very accurate and there was very little planing to do to get a fair cirve on the bottom of the stringer

I did notice when I layed out the lofting lines and employed the batten, that the mark at the 41" line which is supposed to be 6-1/16" appeared to be a little flat with the fair curve of the batten falling at 6-1/4" .  Not sure 1/16" makes any difference in the scope of things or if my mark was off a tad or if the flat spot is intentional.   Anyway, all the other marks were dead on with the batten.

The angle blocks worked real nice.  Should make short work of the second stringer tonite now that I have the system worked out and one under my belt.

As a side note.  My 9-1/2" LVL's were actually 9-1/4" when I measured.  Found this a little odd.  I plan to epoxy a 2X on the top of each stringer with some angle to provide a little aft slope in the deck towards the scuppers and get the deck up just a little higher since the gunnels are slightly higher .

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2016, 06:52:38 PM »

Step 5 is a great, the best in fact, way of setting saw angles ...works for jig saws and table saws too.

I'll look into that stringer offset ...I need to post a call for corrections and missing or misleading info in the plans ...time to publish  an errata and maybe re-issue new docs.  Our address and contact info has changed too... And I think I still haven't put it into the manual when you should install the transom knees....

Brian

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2016, 08:43:27 PM »
Got the second stringer cut tonite and they look great.  The second was a little more difficult to cut as I had to cut in the opposite direction. The tapers were going in the wrong direction 37 degrees to 13 degrees rather than the other way around.  The tangent method layed out in the manual would work better for this side.  Since I already had one cut though, I layed the cut stringer (port) on top of the second (starboard).  Traced the outline of the wider side and then flipped them both and traced the narrow side to produce the mirror image.  Then I cut the whole stringer once again at 13 degrees following the line on the wider side, bow to stern.  Once that was done, I simply turned it up on edge and planed the narrower side to the line to produce the exact angle I had on the first stringer cut using a 3-1/4" power planer set fairly shallow.  Then I lined them up side by side to check for symmetry.  It was pretty much a perfect match.  Seems weird to use two different methods to cut the same piece.  With any luck I will get the stringers mounted on the jig and and the fairbody flipped this weekend.  A completed fairbody with stringers glued in is my next milestone.   ;D

The directions have been great so far, sometimes I tend to overthink things.

If you do a re-issue, I might suggest separate drawings for each length.  I sometimes find myself wondering which length the drawings are done for as it isn't always clearly called out. some are universal and some are based on a 25 adding for each or a 26 adding for each upsize.

It can also change how much material is actually needed for the build which has a significant effect on cost.  For instance, I believe the fairbody for at least a 25' can be made using 3 sheets of plywood rather than 4.  I might be wrong, but I know I had some cut off on mine and I only used 3 sheets, shifting the layout a little.  My fairbody bow to transom was almost exactly 21' which makes me think perhaps even a 26' model could be cut using just 3 sheets per side on the fairbody. My sides will be 3 and 1/2 sheets so 7 peices of 3/8 will cover both sides saving one sheet of plywood on the sides as well.  This is nit picking but for penny pinchers, it all adds up.   

So about those transom knees... ;D

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2016, 05:22:47 AM »
Hey ...thanks for the excellent feedback and for taking the time to post these notes!  I've started a new Errata file and will be going over the docs with your suggestions.

Transom Knees:  The original manual (Part 1 of 2) failed to mention when to install the transom knees.  The drawings show them, but nowhere did the manuals how and when to put them in.  Soooo... if this info is still missing, the time to put  them in is right after your permanent glue/screw of the transom to the shelves, e.g. when you're working your way up to permanently installing the stringers and bottom panel assembly.  The key thing is that they go on the bottom of the sheer shelves and are easiest to put in prior to installing side panels.  I think that if you look at the knees, that you can see which part is supposed to overlap the  shelves, and which edge goes up against the transom. 

Brian

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 12:39:21 PM »
was well on my way to having the boat flipped and the stringers installed this weekend but had a slight setback.  FIL asked me to go fishing yesterday afternoon.  I obliged as it has been awhile since I got out on a boat.  20 min later, I found myself with a treble hook buried past the barb into the tendon of my left ring finger, just behind the knuckle.  No pulling that one out without a healthy dose of meds.  Got discharged from the ER about 7:00 last night with a pretty good Percoset buzz a hand shot full of lidocaine and a tetanus shot in the other arm.    Life has its way of keeping progress in check....  boat is in the garage standing on edge, waiting to get layed over on the jig and stringers.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2016, 01:27:34 PM »
Sorry for your luck Bob, take care of it or it will be much longer till you get back to building!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2016, 03:56:24 PM »
Ouch!  Was it self inflicted or help from a friend?  I had one hook buried and a trip to ER to get it removed after I tried pushing it thru... 

Hang in there!

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2016, 07:36:21 PM »
Thanks for all the well wishes.  Hand is pretty well healed up and I finished the last of the antibiotic meds yesterday.

I got the LVL's for the transom all laminated to the transom board.  Looks pretty good.

Fairbody got flipped today.  A couple straps and a come-along did the heavy lifting and wife and son lent a couple extra hands got the job done.

It is now sitting on the stringers.  I need to do a little centering and alignment work to get it all perfectly squared up but for the most part it all fits perfectly, better than I ever expected.  Will post a couple pictures soon.  Was jammed for time getting it all in the garage today and getting the other boat in before the rain hit.  Getting some minor rain from the outer bands of Bonnie.

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2016, 09:29:05 AM »
worked on aligning stringers last night.  Here is what it looked like before alignment, just dropping the bottom on it and eyeballing it.  Not to bad.

Will take an after shot tonight and post it.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
You did a nice job cutting out those stringers ...they fit the bottom panels perfectly :)

bd