Author Topic: Lofting Shelves to 28'  (Read 9582 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Lofting Shelves to 28'
« on: February 16, 2016, 12:40:37 PM »
Lofting out the shelves (full size lofting) and have a question, on sheet 002c alternative it lists station 160" thru 246 5/8" at 44-1/4" then list 325" station at 43-1/2" so boat gets narrower at the stern.

When lofting for 28' boat which is 335"  should I loft at 43-1/2" (at 335") and use a batten to "make fair" to the 246-5/8" station?

Page 41 of construction manual says to cut shelves to 5" wide which implies a strait shelf.  If I loft as listed the shelf would need to be wider than 5"  to use batten and make lines fair to rear.

Maybe the 325" station is a typo but not sure.....

Need some insight on this please.

Almost ready to post my build just need a little more progress for show and tell.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Lofting Shelves to 28'
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »
I'll double check the numbers ...got company tonight, so probably after work tomorrow will be the soonest if that's OK...

Brian

PS: Thanks for the detail and page numbers... it helps a lot
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 10:37:53 PM »
Wow,  I thought you would be knee deep in unpacking.  Not in a rush at this point, I glued up the forward section and it will sit a couple days.  Probably pruning apple trees this weekend. ughhh. 

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:13:15 PM »
Good morning Brian,

Just checking back in case you forgot about me. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 01:44:37 PM »
Yeah ...sorry.  I did forget...

If you look at 002C-Alt, note that the aft 2 shelf sections are indeed straight pieces, 5" wide. When the side panels are wrapped onto the boat, it'll hide the slight turn that occurs at each of the angled joints. No need to use a batten.  Does that answer your  question?

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 04:29:32 PM »
Yes and no, I did understand to make the last pieces strait, the ones Chuck sent me have a arc 3/4" at mid point of the last shelves.  Not sure why he did that, I will give Chuck a call and address the rear shelves.  He suggested shimming out the side panels but that is a long ways.

So if building to 28' I would loft to 48-1/2" at 335" (27'11") or loft at 325" the station ?

I attached the pages so you would not have to look it up.

I know you answer a lot of questions, so a big thank you for your help.

Hope you are getting settled in and enjoying your new job,

Bob

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 05:13:39 PM »
Hi Bob, no problem...

The last straight piece of the shelves, the one extending from 246-5/8 to the stern, is to be lengthened by 24" for the 28' boat.  Noting that the shelves DO taper inward over this same stretch, it is perhaps noticeable that the shelves will taper inward too much versus the transom width.  This is OK.  That is what I meant by wiggle room on the shelf molds in the construction manual.  You of course will adjust the shelves in their molds so that they land correctly at the outer edges of the transom as they should.

So, for lofting as in Sheet 002C-Alt, the lofting for the 28' boat is exactly as shown in that drawing out to the 246-5/8" station line.  The end of the wood, shown at 325" for the 26' boat is 43-1/2" as shown in that drawing ...this is for matching the transom width.  For the 28' boat, you will want the 43-1/2" width to occur at 349" (that's 325" plus 24").  Clear as mud?  Life would've been easier if there were no stern taper in this boat...

Brian

PS:  You could alternatively add all the extra length to the middle piece of shelves since that's a straight run and that would work fine as well, or you could add 12" to each of the last two pieces, but that might confuse things further. 

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 06:32:01 PM »
Ok,

Everything is making sense except 325" is 27'1" and 349 is 29'1" 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 08:16:30 AM »
Ok,

Everything is making sense except 325" is 27'1" and 349 is 29'1"

I allowed extra length that will be cut off.  If you make the shelves to the  lengths described above, you'll end up with a little over a foot of extra length ...but the lofting at the locations specified will result in the right  shape being produced.  I suppose that I could've had the lengths made exact, with the ends cut at the right angle to match the transom angle, and produced the lofting for those lengths ...but I didn't.  Probably should at some  point.  It would probably make the  instructions more clear.

bd

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
Ok,

Got it,  thank you for your time and understanding!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 12:49:23 PM »
Hopefully I helped... :D

bd

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 02:11:05 PM »
You did!    I am not quite as smart as I once was.  LOL

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »
You did!    I am not quite as smart as I once was.  LOL

But you're smart once as you ever was, right?   :-[ ::) ;D

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 10:33:30 PM »
That's a fact! 

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 11:30:04 PM »
If you are contemplating raising the cockpit sole, do it now not later. It is easy to do on the saw horses, but crawling around in the bottom of the boat after the fact turns the ordeal into a real workout... Trust me, I know!!!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.