Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 221686 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #330 on: September 09, 2018, 09:52:50 AM »
Brian,
I like that support, I am going to use that.  Off to the shop going to get windshield panels and roof mockup done.

I been thinking (haha) I plan on using 1/2" for the windshield panels rather than 1/4" with 1/4" doubler, might be easier for me.

Bob

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #331 on: September 09, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
Brian,
I like that support, I am going to use that.  Off to the shop going to get windshield panels and roof mockup done.

I been thinking (haha) I plan on using 1/2" for the windshield panels rather than 1/4" with 1/4" doubler, might be easier for me.

Bob
I used 1/2 inch for mine. Worked great!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 09, 2018, 09:12:11 PM »
Cannon,

Do you mean 1/2" plywood on the deck or the pulpit is made out of 1/2" ?

I thought you had some kind of hardwood on top for pulpit, I like the look and if mine does not seem strong enough I will add something on top.

I did not get done what I wanted to, I have windshield skins mocked up and supports ready for the roof templates to mark the windshield skins but ran out of gas. 

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2018, 09:15:30 PM »
Cannon,

Just re-read your post, I get it, you were referring to the windshield panel.

;D

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 14, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
Brian,

I am having trouble understanding the windshield panel overlap with the windshield doubler.  The manual shows 1/2" setback of the front edge of the windshield doubler and when mocking up the windshield panels is states to mark the cut off 1/4" outside the edge of the doubler.  Is this going to leave a 1/4" ledge?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:47:08 PM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #335 on: October 15, 2018, 06:39:31 AM »
Yes ... the 1/2" on the sides allows variation in side panel thickness, and if you use 1/4" side panels, it'll leave a stylin' 1/4" little ledge at the front end.  You want stylin', right?  LOL... You've got it dialed in, no problem.

Brian

PS: You're boat's looking great, BTW! 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:41:02 AM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 15, 2018, 07:52:03 AM »
Thank you!

I took some time off, and just getting back on task.  Windshield panels are made, just have to install.  Little things like this makes me feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 15, 2018, 05:50:33 PM »
Thank you!

I took some time off, and just getting back on task.  Windshield panels are made, just have to install.  Little things like this makes me feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It's a long project - good to take a break now and then.  You always know when to get back at it ... that's when you're ready.  It's worth it in the end and about 10 minutes after it hits the water, you'll forget the time that it took to build it!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 31, 2018, 09:25:22 PM »
What is the distance from the transom to just inside the boat as this is drawn?  I’m looking to do something similar. Thanks

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2018, 09:43:13 PM »
The deck is 24" ( I will check tomorrow) and the fish box is 16-18" which I have not made my mind up yet..  soon though.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 01, 2019, 12:06:59 PM »
Just decided to make fish box 18" deep so from transom to inside edge is 42"

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 01, 2019, 05:15:37 PM »
Thanks.  Still trying to decide which way to go

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2019, 10:24:50 PM »
Time for an update.  Mostly done with all of the under-deck structure, finished all of the fillets and taping and need to put down couple fill coats and I will be installing the fuel tank then the start on the main deck. 

Glad that part is done!   Some pics:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 27, 2019, 11:03:55 PM »
Wow!  You got a lot of work done!  Nice job on insetting those deck support pieces ... adds time to the project, but as they say ... if it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right!  Soon your decks will be in and you'll be working on the superstructure ... which I think is the funnest stage :)

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 28, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »
Insetting those pieces was the easiest part, I rounded the support pieces with a router and cut a simple pattern out of 1/4" plywood, used a 1/2" strait bit with a 3/4" router bushing, clamped the template to the stringer.  It took maybe 15 seconds each.