Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 58750 times)

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #480 on: August 16, 2019, 11:24:16 AM »
I believe that the general consensus is lite glass and epoxy encapsulation on all wood is the "Best" course.

If my rememberer is working correctly, I believe it was Kent Cannon that did "epoxy saturation only" on some interior woodwork, and ended up warning us NOT to do that.  The wood checked and the epoxy cracked within a year or two.

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 16, 2019, 01:21:00 PM »
I know it is better to glass everything but Kent used fir plywood which is very prone to checking,  some people use mdo and epoxy coat only.  Not sure if the okoume is prone to checking when coated with epoxy only.

Rather than regret it later I will glass it.

I guess the real issue for me is I do not want to add thickness that will prevent the door seal from fitting.  I will have to glass a scrap piece of 6mm and see.  6mm is just under 1/4", crossing my fingers.

On the interior of the cabin do most people just paint over epoxy coated wood?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #482 on: August 17, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »
If you have any worries about checking, even a light 1-1/2 oz glass sheathing will eliminate the risk.  I glass everything, inside and out, for the primary hull, cuddy sides/roof, and pilot house components.  For accommodations such as cabinets, seating, storage, closets, etc .... things that are inside and out of the weather, epoxy by itself is fine... this stuff is not the 'primary boat' and can be replaced if necessary.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 18, 2019, 09:58:33 PM »
I installed the boat door today, I am soo happy to get this done. Still need to mortise the jamb side hinges but I wanted to make sure it had a even gap all around and it does.

I made a template for the hinges and mortised all 4 at once.  I will cut the window out soon.

Pics:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 09:59:58 PM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 19, 2019, 07:30:27 AM »

Nice job fitting everything!  Did you decide against a window in the door, or is that coming later?

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 19, 2019, 07:40:26 AM »
Everything looks really good.   NIce work

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 19, 2019, 07:41:56 AM »

Nice job fitting everything!  Did you decide against a window in the door, or is that coming later?

Brian

The door window is marked out for cutting but I wanted to make sure no adjustment was needed to align with the other windows.  It is marked on the inside and I did not check but I will tonight.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 19, 2019, 10:26:21 AM »

Brian

The door window is marked out for cutting but I wanted to make sure no adjustment was needed to align with the other windows.  It is marked on the inside and I did not check but I will tonight.

Cool ... looking forward to seeing it.  VERY nice job on the door and framing!

Brian

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 19, 2019, 09:46:33 PM »
Surprisingly the windows will line up as marked. I went ahead and mortised the jamb side hinges and cut the window hole out:

First Draft

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 21, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »
Outstanding work, sir!

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 22, 2019, 07:53:08 AM »
Thank you First Draft, but its marginal at best..  You would laugh to see me with 2 pairs of glasses on to do my detail work. If only my arms were 4 feet long.

Trying to finish up the Remodel this weekend so not much happening on the boat for a bit. 

jklistof

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 01, 2019, 11:01:24 AM »
Bob,

I have enjoyed your build. Makes a guy think about building a boat.

John

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 01, 2019, 09:34:51 PM »
Bob, what did you use to paint under the floor

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 02, 2019, 07:53:24 AM »
Thank you John, you and your boat have been an inspiration for me, love your boat!

Djeffrey,

Under the deck I used epoxy with white pigment but in the fish box and forward hatch I used Ebond 106 Polyamide coating.  You will need a respirator if you use it, powerful fumes!

Still finishing up the remodel and helping my daughter paint her house this weekend (labor day)  but should be back on the boat grind soon.

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 06, 2019, 01:01:54 PM »
Just finished with painting daughters house and remodel at home.

Time to get back on my boat build.  I taped the plywood edges on all window and rear door opening.  I found they make tape .5 inch wide, perfect.   I rolled epoxy on the edges, 2 coats and let it get tacky before applying the tape so it would stay put which it did then rolled more epoxy onto it, even did the 1/4" edge on the aft cabin door stop.

I been putting off going into the cuddy for the inside fillets and 4" glass but today that is my goal for today. 

pics: