Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 132455 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #870 on: October 04, 2021, 09:07:27 AM »
Brian,

Next summer you have an open invitation on my boat also, quit wishing and lets go fishing!

Progress on my boat is a little slow right now, taking time with family for birthdays, grand daughters volley ball games and even got away yesterday for some mushroom picking with my wife Tiffany.  Chanterelles and some white chanterelles.  I could have filled a couple buckets of Lobster mushrooms but my wife did not care for them. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #871 on: October 04, 2021, 11:14:41 AM »

Nice haul and THANKS!  I really need to un-complicate my life and make time for more fishing ...
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #872 on: October 04, 2021, 01:03:07 PM »
Thanks so much for visiting with me Saturday Rob. You have a beautiful boat going there. I got some more fillets done on Sunday and look forward to getting ling to the deck work and gas tank installations.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 07, 2021, 06:36:31 PM »
Update,

I built my battery tray and installed it. It sits off of the floor 5/8" just to stay a little dryer. I had some left over G-10 Phenolic (touch as hell) that I cut into strips and installed between  the batteries. Drilled / tapped for the battery hold downs I made of of the same type of plastic...  3 batteries barely fit in there (lack of planning) and the battery trays I bought would not work.   Cool thing is they do not move at all when bolted in.

I spent part of the day re-adjusting my trailer bunks and installed a couple of keel rollers to keep the keel off of the crossmember.  I had already installed 2 pieces of 3" x 3" square tubing to mount the keel rollers, glad this part is done.  I am 5 minutes away from Zittles Marina and they let me bowwow a couple boat stands which made lifting the rear of the boat easy along with a floor jack up front. 

I re-adjusted bunks 3  times to make the boat land on bunks, target bunks and both front rollers evenly.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 06:39:38 PM by Rbob »

ghelland

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 07, 2021, 11:21:29 PM »
Bob, I like what you did with the rollers, but I am a little concerned about the shafts sticking out each end.  One time I got onto my trailer a bit crooked and put a nice scrape in my boat on the support for the center roller.  I have seen small tapered rollers on the outside of the main rollers on some units. 
Just something to think about.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 08, 2021, 11:33:49 AM »
Gary,

I dont think I need to worry about the ends of the roller shaft,  with target bunks there are no way to miss the rollers.

ghelland

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 08, 2021, 10:12:34 PM »
Great.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 08, 2021, 10:23:33 PM »
I should have said:

"with target bunks there are no way to miss the rollers, I sure hope they do not.

Good point and I will take a long look a it tomorrow, you may be on to something.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 09, 2021, 07:01:44 AM »
Rbob, when I mentioned this issue to Sandy he said that the fix was to lower the rear bunks and raise the front bunks.  Add the front roller if needed.  He thought the front roller should only take the knee long enough to miss the crossmember and then lose contact altogether when the boat is nested on the trailer.
   Please forgive me if Im talking out of turn here.  I have yet to fight the fight.   He made me feel kinda dumb for even bringing it up. 

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 09, 2021, 09:11:15 AM »
Todd,

No forgiveness needed, I gladly welcome all suggestions and opinions. Sandy is correct, I found out the hard way to lower the rear and raise the front.

I will probably load the boat under power and I thought what could happen if one roller slips or bends and my keel hits the crossmember, so I put in 2 keel rollers.

I highly suggest borrowing / renting the screw type boat stands if you adjust the bunks with the boat on the trailer.

If I did it again I would:
  • Remove all the nuts to be adjusted/removed and apply anti-seize
  • Raise the front bunks and lower the rear bunks
  • Spread the main bunks for better support
  • Install auxiliary front crossmembers and keel rollers
  • When installing center bunk bolts, sight down the bunk to make sure it is not sagging before drilling and installing the bolt.

I do not understand Sandy's thought about "take the knee long enough to miss the crossmember and then lose contact altogether"

Before I installed the keel rollers, I could feel the boat move (up/down) when walking up to the cuddy, it did not seem stable, it does now. 

When I adjusted the rollers and target bunks I raised the front of the boat 1/2" - 1" with a floor jack and piece of glue lam and adjusted the target bunks and rollers to land almost the same time. (target bunks a little tighter).

I can take a couple pics later showing the bunks position in the supports.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 09:11:48 AM by Rbob »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 09, 2021, 03:53:06 PM »
Re: #3.   Does spreading the rear bunks also lower the boat into the trailer?  Did you need to notch the bunks into the trailer to get lower?  Lastly, does the stringers land on the bunks?
    Mine are already sitting low as possible although the knucklehead that drilled the holes did not use the same location in each mounting tab.  Kinda annoying, but Ill live with it. 

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 09, 2021, 04:47:43 PM »
I will try to answer.

Spreading the bunks does lower the boat into the trailer, the bunks land on supports  I did some measuring.

No I did not notch the bunks, and did not spread them far from where they were and the same knucklehead drilled my bunks.  You can compensate by moving bunks slightly inward on the low side or slightly outward on the high side.  Added some more pics.

From the front of the target bunks to the front crossmember is about 60" and to the bow eye is almost 9' so lots of overhang for the target bunks to support.  1-1/2" clearance to the front crossmember to keel. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:42:49 PM by Rbob »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 08, 2021, 07:21:00 PM »
Update,

I mounted up all my doors, lids etc and forgot to take that pic, I will add it later.

I purchased a second fish finder that will share my transducers, I was going to mount it above rear station window but looking up sucks.  I already installed my switch panel but I am considering moving it and installing the fishfinder in its place.

Just have to figure out where to put the switches, any suggestions?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: November 08, 2021, 09:19:46 PM »
Check out Ram Mount.  They may have a solution.  I think they have some pretty cool stuff.
  On a side note, what stuff will you be switching from the second station?   I honestly had plans to have nothing out there except the helm and binnacle.   I may need to rethink

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 08, 2021, 11:00:59 PM »
Todd,
The things I can switch from the rear are the washdown, gunnel lights, fish box and led drain plug, oh and the horn.  We almost had a collision with another boat, other boat barely missed our stern and the captain was not at the helm and neither were we, yelling did not get his attention.

Never heard of Ram Mount but I will check into it, Thanks!