Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 132451 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #915 on: January 17, 2022, 08:38:32 AM »
Tom, Good morning,

re: "did or do you plan to install a separate ant for it?"

My radio (Standard Horrizon GX2400) is AIS/GPS and has an internal antenna and I am thinking about adding the optional antenna although I am not sure it is necessary.  My prior boat had VHF with AIS and was awesome to know what big ships and charter boats were close by in the fog etc.  AIS = poor mans radar is a great tool but fishing halibut last year with a buddy we were struggling finding the "spot". He was able to find a group of boats on radar about a mile offshore from where we were and we moved near them and started catching halibut.  That is why I am planning for radar.

Good to hear from you, hope all is well,

Bob

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 07:05:36 PM by Rbob »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 22, 2022, 11:33:35 PM »
I started with electrical and looking at the marinco wiper controller, instead of 1/4" female spade connector I decided to use packard 56 terminals since I had them from a previous wiring job and they have constant tension on the terminal (and the special crimp pliers).

I mounted the battery switch, busbars and fuse holders on a single board and will mount the board in the rear helm cabinet along with shunt-negative busbars.

Sneak peak:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:43:40 PM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #917 on: January 23, 2022, 07:44:04 AM »

Nice, professional, heavy-duty ... but I wonder about those spade-like connectors.  Do they lock together?  If so, are they hard to disconnect again?

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 23, 2022, 08:48:39 AM »
Brian,

"but I wonder about those spade-like connectors"

The Packard 56 terminals slide together the same as the spade connectors, but they do not become loose over time, the tab on the 56 style keeps tension on the male spade terminal they slide onto. Hope that makes sense.

"The Packard Type 56 line of electrical connectors and terminals are the standard OEM connectors on American cars for the 50s, 60s, 70s, and early 80s. These electrical connectors, which were used throughout the engine compartment and vehicle, have since been replaced by sealed connectors."

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #919 on: January 23, 2022, 09:54:30 AM »

Thanks!  Learn something every day ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 23, 2022, 07:21:13 PM »
Not much to show but I did get the electrical board installed and couple wires crimped and installed before mounting.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 27, 2022, 08:17:37 PM »
Electrical is not easy for me, spend most of my time thinking and re-thinking. It is painfully slow but mostly because my lack of experience but I am going to get this done no matter..

One thing I found was cable tie saddle's and zip ties that releasable so I dont have to cut them loose. 

Here are some progress pics of the front power distribution, hopefully tomorrow I will have something closer to finished, at least for the wiring.  Comments and suggestions welcome.

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #922 on: January 27, 2022, 09:33:43 PM »
Unbelievable work, what attention to detail.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #923 on: January 27, 2022, 11:33:14 PM »
Looking good! Take it slow and think through it, it's not as intimidating as it seems... I hooked up a bench power supply to my fuse boxes to test loads, makes it a little less unknown for that portion. Start with the fused loads and work your way back to hooking up the whole thing. It is super interesting to see how everyone else is tackling this part of the build too.. glad I am part of this forum.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:38:32 PM by json »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 28, 2022, 07:32:16 AM »
"bench power supply"

Good idea, I will add some power and test as I go just need some components hooked up.

Its nice to have New Wire Marine switch panel with 2' leads already labeled making it easy to sort and install on terminal strips.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 28, 2022, 11:21:18 AM »
I once completely, from scratch, rewired  a 64 IH scout 80.  I made a spreadsheet with wire size, color, terminations, and numbered each end.   Made it nice a year later when I had to expand or fix something

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 28, 2022, 02:53:13 PM »
Thats cool, still have the IH Scout?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 28, 2022, 07:42:46 PM »
 I sold it several years ago to finance a dive boat project.  My daughter found it on CL some time ago.  Its exactly the same as I sold it

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 28, 2022, 11:41:31 PM »
Rare to see IH Scouts and that one definitely gets your attention. 

Dan Boccia

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #929 on: January 29, 2022, 11:33:10 AM »
Love the use of link bars to connect busses and switches for your high-amp connections - I'm planning to do the same for a complete electrical replacement on a boat. Also, I hear you on how slow this process is. I take a lot of time making a detailed drawing and having all my loads on a spreadsheet so I can confidently calculate wire sizes. Then I can go through the drawing, order all the parts, and have maybe 80% of what I need on the first order. Keep up the good work, love it!