Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 216486 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 11:27:45 AM »
On the stem, why line it up to the tip of the shelfs only to plane it off to make side panels fit?  If I set the stem back from the tip 1/2" or so I would not have as much wood to remove from the stem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
Maybe I am over thinking it.  I remade the stem so the LVL beam layers are fore/aft so there is a flat spot on front mow but epoxy will fix that.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 01:54:59 PM »
Flat spot in the front now, not "mow". darn eyes and fat thumbs!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »
How do you know when the stem fits deep enough into the hull? Judging from the outside view which I dont have a pic.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »
I will post a pic from the front tonight

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 03:10:56 PM »
The stem is inset for the side panels so that when they are wrapped around the boat, their outer surfaces will align with the tip of the bottom panel assembly.  Lots of ways to skin the cat...  if you don't inset the stem, then you'll have to plane off the outer layers of plywood at the bow instead.

As far as how deep is deep enough for the stem fitting into the bottom panel assembly, I'd say it needs to go a few inches into the bottom panels as you've shown.  Deeper and you'd have to trim the stem to fit the bottom.  Less deep and you have a weaker tie between the bottom and side panels at the bow.  'About right' is about right... And BTW, it's not a bad idea to blend the end of the stem smoothly into the bottom panel assembly by filling with epoxy.  Remember that for bow stem and transom corners, that I recommend the use of milled glass fiber in your epoxy mixture for increased strength.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 04:52:03 PM »
It is the inset of the stem I am questioning (not how deep into the bottom panel).

1.  Where the tip of the stem and tip of the shelves meet, you have to plane the leading edge, then the side of the stem and first 6" of shelves.   What I anticipate is planing back a fair amount to get the shelves (and stem) beveled  for good side panel fit.  Why not leave the tip of the shelves proud by 1/2" as it seems less planing would be required.

2. Inset the stem into the bottom panel, I have removed quite a bit of wood on the stem to inset the stem but when eye balling the side panel fit to the stem I not sure what I am aiming for.  I will take a couple pics when I get home and post. 

I have searched for some pics of the stem here and the other sight but no closeup of the fitted stem.

Progress has been slow, side tracked again, go shrimping, lets go for ling cod and halibut, I will get he stem fitted then onto the transom then sides. Oh no razor clamming is open again...
Its tough sometimes making sacrifices when the weather is nice and fishing is good, not too much of a concern the rest of the year except when hunting time comes.  haha.

Oh ya the working for a living thing!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 10:04:53 PM »
It still looks like I should inset the stem into the bottom panels more and my chines might be a little proud in the front so I may have to trim those a bit.

I cannot figure out how to post pics in order wit comments between. 

The first pic is of my chines, do you think I should cut them back a bit?

Second pic shows a level on the side of the bow stem, looks like lots to trim which is why I think I should pull the stem back a bit.

Third and fourth pic shows a scrap piece of 3/8" plywood sitting flush on the stem side.

The fifth pic I am holding the scrap piece out a bit which is the fit I think I should be shooting for.

My fillet on the inside of the bow is big which is probably why I am trimming so much off of the stem.

Any advice for me?

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 09:08:13 AM »
I think that perhaps you are over thinking this. I (if I recall correctly, I am getting older 😜, brought mine to a point. If you will recall, the manual said to outline the cut in felt pen and then leave it wild or full width. When it came time to trim it, I used a skill saw because you get a more fair curve than with a jig saw. You will have to notch your bow stem until you can get a piece of scrap or a four foot level to plane out with the chines, shelves and bow stem. Peanut butter will be your friend in the end, the main purpose of the bow stem is to hold the sides in place while gluing, so it really needs to plane out with all of the other parts & pieces.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 09:52:54 AM »
Rbob,

Not sure if this will help or not but here are a few shots of my bow stem during preliminary fitup, before it is epoxied.  The stem fit down into the fairbody 20".

I want a slight lip of chine at the prow and don't intend on installing a keel strake.

In your case, I think you can sand it down fair once you have the sides on as Brian instructs in the manual  You need not worry about sanding through the bottom panels a little which is the point of the beefy bow stem and big fillet in that area.  A mini grinder would probably work nice for you in that endeavor.

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »
more pics...

BobC

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 09:56:43 AM »
last pic

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 03:16:12 PM »
Those pictures are worth a thousand words! Especially Stem4! Thanks BobC !

Cannon, trimming the chines deal, mine was a kit from Westcoat Boatworks and the chines were trimmed already.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 08:22:24 PM »
BobC, that is like a furniture joint! Very pretty, too bad it gets covered up!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 09:02:08 AM »
I know... I think that's the most impressive fitting of a stem to the boat that I've seen!  That's why I believe in using thick paint ...it hides a thousand sins and nobody can see the handiwork underneath  ::) :o ;D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>