Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 220269 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #405 on: May 06, 2019, 06:47:12 AM »
Is this the correct lower side panel / aft bulkhead profile?

Yup ... that's the way you do it.  The inner edge will be straight (so sliding windows will remain slider instead of 'stickers' LOL), and with the transition shelf temporarily tacked on, you'll transfer the curved shape of the lower pilot house side panels onto it so you can cut it out to fit before installing it.  It helps to have a nailer installed along the top edge of the (curved) lower pilot house side panel - no more than 1/2" thick or so.  This nailer gives you something to tack the transition shelf onto, but will also act like a batten that gives the top edge of the side panel a smooth nice looking curve.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 06, 2019, 08:04:38 AM »
Ok,

I made my pilot house shorter and the side panels are just under 96", so I went ahead and glassed a whole sheet of 1/4" and put on a fill coat last night. I will be able to cut the transition and lower side panels from one sheet.

Busy weekend, birthday parties, land clearing, track came off excavator...

Fixed the drawing:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 06, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »

Yeah,  I noticed the orientation of the nailer before and neglected to mention it.  Having in the vertical orientation will allow it to bend.  You could use 2 layers of 1/4" ply as the 'nailer' too, putting one on at a time, so that the curve would be a little more pronounced.  It's just aesthetics either way.  I like curves better than straight lines.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 06, 2019, 02:34:50 PM »
So the lower side panels top cut line will terminate with the cuddy side panels? not on top of the cuddy roof?

I might be a retard, brain strain sometimes.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 06, 2019, 03:37:42 PM »
So the lower side panels top cut line will terminate with the cuddy side panels? not on top of the cuddy roof?

I might be a retard, brain strain sometimes.

Just think of the lower pilot house sides blending right into the cuddy side panels.  The 'shelf' discussed above is the same thickness as the cuddy roof (doesn't have to be, but is best if the top of the shelf ply aligns with the top of the cuddy roof ply so it's easy to fair in).

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 06, 2019, 09:38:16 PM »
Thank You!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 07, 2019, 09:06:07 AM »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 13, 2019, 11:58:18 AM »
Not much progress since more Turkey Hunting last weekend  (Turkey won) and shrimping this Thursday thru Sunday but I did manage to get the lower sides and transition shelf glued in along with the aft cabin bulkhead.  No cloth or fillets just glued in.

When I get back from shrimping I will get back at it.

Bob

Pics:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 14, 2019, 07:29:18 AM »
You're cracking right along and the boat's looking great!  Love the laser level ... good idea!

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 14, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
I cut the nailer 5 degrees bevel which made it easy to make level on top.  The only issue I have after glue up is the transition is not perfectly strait like the photos done during mock up. Maybe screwed the parts down a different order so it has a slight bow, maybe 3/16".  I think I will just add (laminate) another transition piece right on top to straiten it out and keep going.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 14, 2019, 04:01:47 PM »
Cracking along and neglected to glass the outer face of the aft cabin bulkhead before I glued it in.  Now I get to practice my vertical glass / epoxy ability.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 15, 2019, 04:53:58 AM »
Cracking along and neglected to glass the outer face of the aft cabin bulkhead before I glued it in.  Now I get to practice my vertical glass / epoxy ability.

Better than upside down glassing!  Did I tell you how I glued in the aft house bulkhead, top on one side of the line and the bottom on the other?  Nobody ever noticed the slight inward slope of the bulkhead ... :D

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 15, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »
Inward slope is probably a good idea, may keep it from swinging open!

Off to the Shrimping Grounds for 4 days.  yum yum..

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 16, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »
Inward slope is probably a good idea, may keep it from swinging open!

Off to the Shrimping Grounds for 4 days.  yum yum..

Yeah, that's it ... yeah, I did that on purpose!

Have fun shrimping!  It's one of the things I miss after leaving Alaska. 

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 29, 2019, 12:03:14 PM »
 I am back and making some progress slowly.   Sucks counting out 160 shrimp and pouring the rest back to the sea.  Pulled these from 2 pots:

I added a second layer of 1/4" to straighten out the transition and it will blend in better to the cuddy roof.  As you can see I could have planned better when I placed the aft cabin bulkhead and will have to be a little creative to add a threshold that I can remove to access the inspection port. 

I  love the vertical polisher with 1" soft foam pad to sand back the overhang, hold it flat when you get close and it does a nice job without damage to the glass.

Next up will be vertical glassing of the aft cabin bulkhead.