Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 220186 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #420 on: May 29, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »

Nice shrimp ... too bad you only get 160 of them.  That's just one dinner for me :D

You may be glad for adding a threshold around that port cover ... it could be a nice way to pass wiring and what not from one side of the boat to the other in a hidden way :).  In any case, every boat has little oopsies ... we just hide them and tell people that's the way we wanted it :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 03, 2019, 10:49:24 PM »
I finished my vertical glassing of the aft cabin bulkhead.  Not nearly as hard as I thought, actually it was easy.  I pre-coated with epoxy and waited 3 hours then set the roll of 30" x 5oz glass on the floor and pulled it up to the top and used a small spring clamp to hold it at the top in one spot and smoothed it on with my gloved hands and trimmed the edges.  It stayed where I put it, wow!  Started mixing epoxy and rolling it on even put fillets in the corners with 4 in tape wet on wet.  No pics but I will update in a couple days.

I scarfed the plywood for the upper sides and will test fit before trimming and glassing (while flat on the bench of course)  Its amazing my scarfs are turning out pretty good now, at first they were troublesome.

Power planer until pretty close, 8" disc sander and a block plane until they fit together nicely which took a couple test fits. 

This is after power planer, I even tried a router with a jig but gave that up.  I should have taken a pic of it when it at the final stage.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 04, 2019, 11:10:17 AM »
Looks as good as it gets!  I've never tried the router or circular saw methods ... have always just stacked the wood, drew lines on edges, then (bosch) power plane close ... adjust to whisker thin and finish - all power plane, with sometimes a little touch up with my Stanley low-angle block plane.

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 12, 2019, 09:42:51 PM »
I temp mounted the upper sides and marked out windows and windshield's.  i built them out of 1/2" just need to cut the holes and glass, and order some windows.

Would you glass before or after cutting?

On a side note I got a call from the Mercury dealer, I placed the order sometime in January and was told almost a year wait, but it came in.  Than makes me happy!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 13, 2019, 06:45:49 AM »
What model merc did you decide on?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 13, 2019, 07:24:23 AM »
I temp mounted the upper sides and marked out windows and windshield's.  i built them out of 1/2" just need to cut the holes and glass, and order some windows.

Would you glass before or after cutting?

On a side note I got a call from the Mercury dealer, I placed the order sometime in January and was told almost a year wait, but it came in.  Than makes me happy!

Great news on the motor!  It motor-vates you to get the boat in the water too!

I always glass flat pieces before they go into the boat, and fair-in the seams after they're built (taper the edges of glass tape with a carbide scraper, flat/straight blade).  The less glassing you do inside the boat, the better ... which means 'the easier' and 'no glassing of vertical plywood'.  On plywood that will be curved when installed, you can only glass the inside of the curve, e.g. the inside of the boat side.  Putting glass on the convex side makes the plywood too stiff, but works just fine on the concave side of the bend.  Finally, for pieces that get holes cut out, like the sections of the windshield, I glass first, then mark and cut out the holes later .... and when they're the final size, seal the plywood edges inside the hole:  Slightly round over the edges of the cut-out, brush or roll plain epoxy into the end grain until it remains shiny even after 10-15 minutes, then let cure.  Hand sand all, wipe with wet cloth to clean well, then smear silica-thickened epoxy into all the end grain leaving a smooth white coat.  The first step above wicks epoxy into the wood cells.  The second step fills all micro-details in the wood and leaves it smooth and ready for final epoxy coats.  When you apply the final epoxy coats to those pieces, just roll the epoxy onto the edges of the hole while you're at it, and clean up any drips with a swipe of a foam brush.

Brian

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 13, 2019, 08:07:59 AM »
Todd,

I got the SeaPro 200, originally was going to go with Suzuki or Yamaha 4 cyl 200 but at discovered Mercs new motor at 483 lbs and 6 cyl torque I was hooked.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/engines/outboard/seapro/200-300-hp/

Brian,

I agree glassing vertical is not as fun,  I not sure if I want to roll out a full piece of fiberglass only to cut out the windows or just glass 8" wide around the perimeter and fair the overlap in.  Been sidetracked again helping daughter put in subfloor and pouring concrete and troweling to a smooth finish.  Took me 2 days to recover from that SOB!  concrete is relentless.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 13, 2019, 04:48:28 PM »

I don't mind a little waste if it makes the job easier and faster, :)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 13, 2019, 04:50:20 PM »
Bob, What did you have to pay for the engine?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 13, 2019, 05:04:06 PM »
A little over 19k.  18,900 with DTS
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:09:05 PM by Rbob »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 16, 2019, 04:26:17 PM »
I could change my name to molasses. 

Update some pics:  Not much but some progress.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #431 on: June 16, 2019, 06:41:23 PM »
Man, I love watching these boats take shape. That looks great!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 16, 2019, 09:13:35 PM »
Gotta feel good to see the house take shape.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 16, 2019, 09:37:32 PM »
more candy:
Pretty nerve wracking with 2 pieces of equipment.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 17, 2019, 03:11:11 PM »
Brian,

On the windshield panel's, is one layer of 9oz glass on each seam (inner and outer) sufficient or add a layer of biax?

Bob