Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 55586 times)

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #615 on: May 18, 2020, 06:50:35 PM »
Your doing a super clean job. That will pay off when you go to paint. Looking great

Farmboy

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 24, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »
Spent the last week reading all 42 pages of your project, thank you so much for sharing.

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 25, 2020, 11:13:31 PM »
Thanks for reading it, I have been making some progress just not enough to make a post but soon.

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 30, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »
Rbob, do have any more pictures of your deck hatches.  I like how they are relatively invisible.  I need 1 in the house and maybe 3 in the cockpit.  I want to use all my glorious under deck space,  but don’t wAnt to be tripping on hatches all over. 
I found a hatch builder that does custom square flush hatches,  but what you did is nicer

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 30, 2020, 11:58:04 AM »
I have a few, they are overbuilt mainly because of one friend that weights close to 300lbs and they do not flex when he walked on them.  Depending on the size of the hatch 1/2" and 3/4" with glass in the middle may be stiff enough. 

I originally bought latches but other than the fish box I wont be using them, probably just drill a hole big enough to get a good size finger into.

Pics:

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 30, 2020, 06:37:09 PM »
Thank for sharing your work once again.  Did you install any drain on the lip that support the hatch?   Can water fill the little trough you created and spill into the compartment?

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 30, 2020, 07:05:05 PM »
I did not install drain and I am hoping the seal does a fairly good job keeping most of the stuff out of the fish box.  Not worried about the ones in the wheelhouse.

I thought about it but talked myself out of the extra trouble (for me)  Fish in the box wont be there more than a day so if a little water ( fish slime etc) gets in there I dont think it will hurt anything.

I am getting side tracked till next Thursday, leaving tomorrow to do some shrimping in the San Juans.  That should help my attitude.

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 30, 2020, 07:13:29 PM »

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 30, 2020, 07:24:49 PM »
Making slow progress, rear steering station and battery box is in progress. pieces cut today and glassing them before the install.

Helm and seat boxes are done, still need to mount up the heater so the list keeps getting longer.

Pic:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #624 on: May 31, 2020, 07:19:35 AM »
Good advice, Ed!  What's the status on your Great Australian?  Did you sell the hull?

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>