Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 61639 times)

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #645 on: July 15, 2020, 07:07:26 PM »
No trouble finding okume, just be prepared to hand out the greenbacks!  I bought 4mm and 12mm, and I need to look up what I paid, it is really light weight so I hope there is economy in there somewhere.

I just checked Edensaw and they list 3mm 3-ply.  I will take a close look at mine again, it has probably 5 layers.

Roof supports, I do have fore / aft supports but they are not going to be notched into the aft bulkhead or windshield support.  Crossing my fingers, I am in uncharted territory on sandwich construction.  No planning on having a bunch of weight up-top so we will see.

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 15, 2020, 07:19:26 PM »
Yes okoume is expensive.  Im using on all the superstructure.  My supplier says 1/4 is 7 pounds lighter than hydrotech.  Im sure your roof will turn out great

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 16, 2020, 11:31:09 AM »
The 4mm I bought was $60 a sheet, not that bad considering I only needed 3 panels.  Correction, I did not get 12mm, it was 6mm (1/4") 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #648 on: July 16, 2020, 02:31:12 PM »

Even though it seems spendy, the plywood is not the biggest part of the price for building one of these boats... buy the best!

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 20, 2020, 07:57:45 PM »
Been making sawdust while waiting for roof lamination's to dry.  I cut out roof hand rails that will go on the inside of the boat and saved the fall off to cap on the outer roof structure.   Used a router template which was really nice but takes time since you can only remove so much on each pass, 1/4" was a bit much so 1/8" - 3/16" took quite a few passes but I wont be spending a bunch of time sanding... 

Rounded the edges while the board was still one piece, then cut it up and rounded the exposed corners, the roof slope is 3.5 degrees where they mount so I cut to match the slope. 

I need another 1/4" sheet to finish the roof blocking so a trip to town tomorrow. 

Once blocking is in I will use 3m fastbond contact cement to install the foam and outer skin.

Couple progress pics:

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 21, 2020, 06:41:16 AM »
Those look really nice.  When I did The grabs in my cuddy I used a holesaw and jigsaw.  Finished them off with a carbide burr.  I dont have experience with routers.  You make it look easy.   

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 21, 2020, 08:54:45 PM »
I fitted the grab rails while waiting for epoxy to cure on the roof lamination, I will put the last piece of the perimeter blocking tomorrow. This weekend I will give the foam a try.  This sandwich roof is taking extra time but I am enjoying seeing the last pieces come together.

Pics:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 22, 2020, 06:46:50 AM »

Your grabrails really turned out nice ... the template and router did a great job (in your hands :) ) ...

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 22, 2020, 08:16:44 AM »
Thanks to Youtube, I had no clue how to use a router.

On the curb / visor, my roof will extend 16" past the aft cabin bulkhead and I was thinking of stopping the curb just short of the aft bulkhead instead of running it full length so water can run off the side. I am worried it may look odd not extending full length.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:19:27 AM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 22, 2020, 10:48:57 AM »
I'd mock it up, stand back and take a look at different ideas.  Note that there's nothing at all wrong with putting strips of wood on top of the house roof to guide water to where you want it to drain, or to have a drain hole through the side curbing ... it looks and works fine.  I believe it's very important to have water drain onto an area with no windows ... water on a window wrecks visibility, encourages eventual leaks into the boat past the window, and means you can't open the window for a little ventilation on a rainy day.  The same concepts apply to diverters on the sheer deck to force water over the side instead of into the cockpit or even the dry well (splashwell).

Brian
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:50:12 AM by Brian.Dixon »

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 23, 2020, 08:49:17 AM »
Mocked up, I could direct water to area without window, if I go most of the way back water will enter the rear deck helm station.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 08:50:28 AM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 23, 2020, 02:44:01 PM »

I think you nailed it ... that's a perfect spot to drain the water off.  Add a little diverter on the roof to direct the water to the side ... And the mock-up of the 'curb' or 'visor' looks great too :D

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 25, 2020, 10:11:44 PM »
Slow grind going on here, I wanted to get the foam glued down today but didnt happen, it will tomorrow.  I put tapered dowels in the grab rails as cheap insurance against rails splitting when people attempt pull ups.  Grab rails are glued in and filleted.

Update Pics:

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 31, 2020, 01:05:50 AM »
My timing is impeccable, I had a great idea to put on 2 coats of the fastbond and glue down the top skin,  its midnight and just 45 min to go before I can put down the last 2 pieces..  Pics tomorrow. My wife is helping me, glad I have an understanding wife.

I used dowels when putting down the foam just like you do with formica, my painter suggested to do what his dad does (upholstery guy) lay down some plastic, slide it around and pull out a foot at a time and roll it down.  That works amazingly well.

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 31, 2020, 10:20:31 AM »
Going to be a long day at work, looks like I will put some epoxy in the seams tonight and put down some 4oz glass with filler coats this weekend.  I used 2 putty knives to put a tiny gap between the 4mm okume so the seams will be easy to fill.

Pics as promised: