Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 216491 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #660 on: August 02, 2020, 08:13:19 PM »
I managed to get the roof seams faired and glassed the roof with the help of my wife mixing epoxy.  I still need to add a fill coat which will be a little later tonight and will be using peel-ply on the roof outer and inner surface.

I marked out the overhang on sides and windshield before applying glass.

I am hoping for only one fill coat with the peel ply, unless Brian suggests more. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #661 on: August 03, 2020, 06:26:26 AM »

Looks great from here!

"Waterproof" is 1 properly-saturated layer of fiberglass plus 2 'fill' coats, or 3-4 coats of epoxy on bare plywood (3 coats is marginal and I think, not reliably waterproof on softwoods).  You'll know by looking at it ... smooth and glossy is a good sign, anything dull or inconsistent in shine and smoothness isn't.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 03, 2020, 08:01:19 AM »
Ok, 

After the first coat was tacky, I applied a generous coat of epoxy and put down the peel ply.  Its non eventful and does not look  like much but it will fill the weave without scraping, cleaning and sanding.  Peelply is a golden on the big surfaces.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #663 on: August 03, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »
Peel Ply is amazing stuff. I ordered some to try it out and once I tried it I ordered another $400 worth of the stuff. It is now my favorite friend saving me sooooo many hours of sanding
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 03, 2020, 05:41:23 PM »
I will add one last coat of epoxy as Brian suggests, I know without peelply  you do the initial glass wetout, add a fill coat, scrape sand etc and add a 3rd coat.  The fill coat is to basically fill the weave and a topcoat for protection.  How much gets sanded away is a guessing game.

I think with a digital caliper one could do 2 test panels of the same thickness and compare peel-ply 2-coat vs 3 coat sanded/scraped epoxy  and/or make the panels exact same size and weigh the samples before and after the coatings. 

I may give this a test, and report the findings.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 04, 2020, 07:33:41 AM »

Good plan. Use that 3rd coat.  It's not that much material is removed by scraping and sanding, noting that you should lightly sand even after using peel ply, but more about the thickness of the epoxy resin itself.  I doubt you'd end up with any too-thin regions after glassing, especially with peel ply, but for the cost and effort, why not?  Pilothouse roofs end up storing stuff ... fish nets and gear, rafts, etc ... it's a good area to protect with glass, epoxy, paint...

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 04, 2020, 07:50:34 AM »
What is amazing is the almost invisible seam the peelply leaves behind.  There is a seam where the glass overlaps that I will scrape / sand before adding last coat of epoxy tonight.

First pic is peelply on part of the roof, second one showing peelply seam which was hard to capture on pic.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 04, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »

You already know about making sure there's no residual amine blush before adding more epoxy, so I won't mention that ... but you know, subsequent coats of epoxy just need to have the shine removed from the previous coat (unless the prior coat is newer than 36 hours old, plus or minus).   You can take the shine off, without removing epoxy that you want to keep, by just lightly scraping ridges, specks/bugs, bumps off first then put your random orbital on top of a green scrubbie and 'sand' the epoxy.  The random orbital sander does a great job of scrubbing epoxy with a green scrubbie ... takes the shine right off without actually sanding.  Folks not using peel ply may have more of a weave pattern left that needs to be filled, so sanding helps ... green scrubbies alone may require more fill coats to get it all smooth (MY opinion is that the only smooth, shiny, faired surfaces should be those between the waterline and sheer, the exterior faces of side panels, and maybe the roof of the cuddy ... all else is OK to see a fiberglass pattern on).

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 04, 2020, 11:58:24 AM »
That is one of the benefits of using peel-ply, if amine blush occurs it occurs on the outside of the peel-ply and no sanding or minimal sanding on seams for example.

I almost wish I had used peel ply after the 3rd coat of epoxy but it was 10:00pm when I put on the second coat.

Linky: https://epoxycraft.com/westsystem/using-peel-ply-to-best-effect/

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 04, 2020, 04:13:08 PM »

Thanks for the link!  I shared it on FB...

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 10, 2020, 09:32:46 AM »
I test fitted the roof, marked the inside corners of the bulkheads and snapped chalk lines for the cabin side's and roof supports.  I rolled on a thin coat and will fill some holes and fair the seams before applying the glass.

I had 5 men help me set the roof on, not heavy at all but it was nice having all help to guide it on.  I used scaffolding planks and ladders fore and aft (planks were athwartship) and no pics but we just picked it strait up and walked it right into position, two guys in the boat to guide it across and into position. 

I forgot to get pics of the test fit and scaffold...

pics:

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 10, 2020, 09:57:20 AM »

Looking great!  Handy to have those extra hands, especially for the cumbersome pieces ... :)

Brian

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 17, 2020, 12:13:16 PM »
Update, finished fairing inside of roof, light coat of epoxy, filled holes and sanded, 4 oz glass and 2 fill coats with peelply.  Added the side window supports to make dropping the roof into place easy... 

« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 11:41:36 PM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 18, 2020, 07:42:13 AM »

Good idea putting those side window/panel supports in place ahead of time - that's a lot easier than doing it after the roof is on.

bd

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 20, 2020, 10:33:31 AM »
One last test fit, had to make sure the roof would drop in with no issues and it did, fits like a glove.
Going to add the curb visor and may even paint the exterior before install.  Jury is out on the paint before install..

I am the one with no hair!

Pics: