Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 220467 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #855 on: September 13, 2021, 10:47:36 PM »
The rub rails together should keep the corner from being hit if the object bridges across both rubrails, it will still be possible for damage on the corner but setting ice chests or tackle boxes or whatever else should eliminate unless someone slams it down carelessly. 

I can take a pic tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 10:09:03 AM by Rbob »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #856 on: September 14, 2021, 10:45:16 AM »

... Or most importantly, you can haul shrimp and crab pots in over the rail without creating a 'rope groove'!  :D  I like your use of the rubrail better than the UHMW that I've seen screwed onto some sheer decks.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 14, 2021, 10:20:03 PM »
I like it too. Thx!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #858 on: September 16, 2021, 04:24:06 PM »
Great Idea, never thought of that. I have seen guys recess say a 1/2" diameter stainless rod into the tops of the sheer leaving the top half exposed above the gunnel. By putting these 2-3 inches apart maybe 24" long in the right place would help protect the finish from sliding things like ice chest over the top. Of course this dose not work if you installed the cockpit coming like the plans call for. I'm thinking I may do a single on my top of my coming pretty much full length. I use the Scotty single wheel crab pot puller, it actually works real well. When I first saw it I didn't think it would last but its really held up well. Saves from the rope damaging the outside corner gunnel to side joint. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 04:32:01 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 17, 2021, 10:38:25 AM »
Scotty puller would be too much work for this old guy, shrimp pots at 250-300ft and crag pots sometimes down to 200ft. I think I will stick with a electric puller and davit. 

I painted the dash , aft cabin exterior bulkhead, inner gunnels and the face of the livewell with Alexseal 501.  I used the roll additive which works amazing, cool thing is the white I used is almost a dead match to my exterior paint.
My first coat I had some runs a lot of fiber from the roller cover even though I wrapped tape around it to pull off the loose fibers.  I switched to Wooster Pro foam and will never go back to the other, your results may vary.

It takes 3 days to apply 3 coats but what the heck.  Only a couple pics for now, this is coat #2 below.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #860 on: September 17, 2021, 06:00:07 PM »
Looks great, I am gonna have to try some of those rollers. I bought a bunch of the mohair ones, they work pretty well but I am always looking for something better. It took me a lot of practice before I was able to do a good section without runs, yours looks great.

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #861 on: September 18, 2021, 07:40:21 PM »
Man that does look nice. Gorgeous.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 20, 2021, 03:28:10 PM »
Looks great, I am gonna have to try some of those rollers. I bought a bunch of the mohair ones, they work pretty well but I am always looking for something better. It took me a lot of practice before I was able to do a good section without runs, yours looks great.

These foam rollers https://www.amazon.com/Wooster-Brush-RR308-4-1-2-Pack-2-Inch/dp/B002YCA9BM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=WOOSTER+BRUSH+HIGH+DENSITY+FOAM+ROLLER&qid=1632172995&sr=8-2

I not 100% sold on their use, maybe in some areas the foam edge is nice but the mohair (if you can get all of the lint out) works quite well and I think it is easier to get an even coat as it is hard to tell with the foam.  Rolling takes practice for sure.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 20, 2021, 07:55:34 PM »
Started installing components, nothing wired in yet but nice to see something installed:

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #864 on: September 20, 2021, 09:18:39 PM »
Looking good!

Beware, with 2 helms, all those batteries, and all the cables, etc. on the starboard side, you're setting yourself to list significantly to SB. Hopefully you have a plan to put some heavy items on the port side to compensate?

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 20, 2021, 10:56:08 PM »
Good point, I may move the lead acid battery to starboard if needed.  The Lifepo4 batteries are a considerable weight savings; both of them are 46lbs combined in comparison the the lead acid at 57lbs.

The 9.9 kicker (111lbs) will be on the port side and I thought it should offset the weight of the batteries but I did not consider the station itself and the cables.  My Walllas heater is on the port side along with a 4 gallon fuel tank which is not a lot of weight.

Honestly I don't know how to calculate too much at once so any help and advice I can get I will take it.

Thank you for the heads up. 

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 21, 2021, 10:46:59 AM »
I will be watching you closely as my setup is very much like yours.  I have the weight of the refer parts on the strbrd side too.  I don’t know or what much about the merc stuff.  The Suzuki fly by wire doesn’t weigh a lot, but it all adds up

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 21, 2021, 12:24:59 PM »

Since your average captain probably weighs 200# plus or minus (plus ... for me!), it makes sense to design for being slightly heavier on the port side.  The GA will roll a couple of degrees relatively easily at first, but then stiffens up quickly past that.  That's at rest.  When on plane, it'd be pretty tough to out-weigh the dynamic forces on the boat that keep it level ... not to worry.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 27, 2021, 12:43:26 PM »
Took a few days off from the build, Sekui for Halibut, Lings and a few salmon.

Nice chicken halibut and was soo good to go fishing.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 27, 2021, 06:35:11 PM »

Wish I coulda been there!  :D