Author Topic: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build  (Read 220193 times)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Bob from Olympia, 28 GA build
« Reply #900 on: December 17, 2021, 10:07:36 AM »
Brian,
Here are a couple pics of transom:

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: December 17, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »
You can install the windows, and temp install the trim rings (over the hull liner) then cut around the hull liner using trim ring as your guide, remove the trim ring and pull the hull liner off where you trimmed it.  Just remember not to apply a bunch of contact cement in the area of the trim ring.

There are other work arounds to the Windows + Hull Liner issue.  The best way is to measure your finished thickness of the window opening including the hull liner and order the correct trim ring.  I did not think that far ahead..

Motion sells a trim ring spacer but its $2 per foot, I only need 1/16" so I will need 2-3 roll's of neoprene tape available on Amazon.  I will install the gasket between the trim ring and window frame.
https://www.boatwindows.com/boat-window-installation/

https://www.boatwindows.com/shop-parts/#!/1-8-Trim-Ring-Spacer-Gasket-Per-Foot/p/13133152/category=3007613

https://www.amazon.com/Density-Neoprene-Stripping-Insulation-Soundproofing/dp/B07WGTG8RP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=OIGT7Z5E1CCO&keywords=neoprene+tape+1%2F2%22+wide&qid=1639759656&sprefix=neoprene+tape+1%2F2+%2Caps%2C1113&sr=8-5
  Interesting.  Thank you. They didn’t offer a suggestion or workaround when I inquired. I will keep this in mind.  I hope to use the boat some before it’s completely upholstered. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #902 on: December 18, 2021, 09:13:20 AM »
Brian,
Here are a couple pics of transom:

Thanks!  Really turned out sweet too! 

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #903 on: December 19, 2021, 11:06:48 PM »
Looks really good!!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 06, 2022, 06:13:50 PM »
Its been slow on the forum (and my build) but I have been gathering supplies for interior  "Hull Liner" and lots of electrical stuff, I will take some pics when I have more to show.

I built the base for the removable cuddy cushion and just finished wrapping the edges.  I absolutely love the 1" fiberglass tape to finish the edges, so easy to do. Just roll or brush some epoxy on the edges and wait a couple hours to get good and sticky and apply the fiberglass tape dry and it stays put.  Follow with a coat of raw epoxy on the edges and follow up with another thickened coat of epoxy.

Couple pics for the heck of it:

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #905 on: January 06, 2022, 08:56:19 PM »
Are you then cutting it off flush with the surface once it starts to harden??

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 06, 2022, 11:21:18 PM »
RE:  "Are you then cutting it off flush with the surface once it starts to harden??"

I will trim it off tomorrow after it is completely set with a snap blade type utility knife.  I have done it both ways and its easier when the glass is not sticking to my fingers. 

I use the Shinto Rasp the most to remove the leftover glass and drips after trimming with the razor knife and/or a good carbide scraper.  Whatever works and for non cosmetic trimming you can literally sand the protruding glass off with a d/a.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #907 on: January 07, 2022, 05:51:57 PM »
RE:  "Are you then cutting it off flush with the surface once it starts to harden??"

I will trim it off tomorrow after it is completely set with a snap blade type utility knife.  I have done it both ways and its easier when the glass is not sticking to my fingers. 

I use the Shinto Rasp the most to remove the leftover glass and drips after trimming with the razor knife and/or a good carbide scraper.  Whatever works and for non cosmetic trimming you can literally sand the protruding glass off with a d/a.
LOVE those rasp, they know how to remove material
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 14, 2022, 11:20:11 PM »
Update,

I was going to install VHF overhead but the fishing pole rack makes it too crowded and I don't want to stand up to access the radio, so I added a mount for it.  I could/should have made the dash have a little more room below the steering wheel and switches and installed the vhf there.  Hindsight..

I made some backing plates for the ceiling lights, horns and the radar which I have not purchased yet but I will be.  I want the supports already in and ready.

pics:

Lindy

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #909 on: January 15, 2022, 02:07:39 PM »
thanks for the picture of your edging tape got it now.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 15, 2022, 09:05:13 PM »
Rbob, to you remember where you bought your switch panels?  I rally like that idea

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 15, 2022, 10:40:29 PM »
Todd,

"remember where you bought your switch panels?"

Yes, NewWireMarine.  You design anyway you want:
https://newwiremarine.com/product/e-panel-builder/

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 16, 2022, 08:28:01 AM »
👍. Thank you

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #913 on: January 16, 2022, 03:29:22 PM »
I've been unsatisfied with all the switch panels I've used over the years and have recently discovered the Newwire panels and am planning to specify them for a complete re-wiring job on a client's boat - they're the most compact solution with good labeling I've seen yet for simple switch panels. I think I still prefer standard Blue Sea breaker panels for cost/benefit but for switch-only panels the Newwire is the way to go.

tom e

• Midshipman
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #914 on: January 17, 2022, 07:43:18 AM »
Re. VHF.  If your radio includes AIS, did or do you plan to install a seperate ant for it?
Tolman Jumbo launched Sept '22