Author Topic: GA Build  (Read 3952 times)

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
GA Build
« on: November 20, 2016, 10:29:17 PM »
Good afternoon,
My name is Lamont. I'm in the Seattle area of Washington state. I have been gearing up to build a Tolman jumbo when I met Ed in Australia. Between Chuck and Ed, I have been sold on the GA. Both of these two have been extremely positive and encouraging. I had the pleasure of meeting Ed in person and was able to give him a hand with the flipping of his soon to be GA (Great Australia). Forgive me in advance for any simple questions I may post but I'm totally new to this boat building. What I do have is determination. It  would be good to hear from some of the guys that started a few years back. Have you finished, taking a break, lose motivation? If you need some spark, reach out to Ed. He is a funny and motivating guy. My plan is start and FINISH this project in short order. Not rushed, but approach with getting it wet and full of blood soon. Any tips or suggestions are always appreciate. If any local guys ever need extra hands, let me know. I'm willing to travel the west coast. I help and get to learn. A win win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: GA Build
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:04:14 AM »
Hey!  Welcome aboard!  Please do ask any question ...simple or not.  When something is new to someone, it's never simple...

Brian

PS: Forgive the state of the forum ..pictures may not work and what not, but I'm working on that.  I think I need to move the forum to a different hosting company, as the one that I have is not being super helpful in terms of file and folder permissions and what not... :)
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 04:27:10 PM »
I've had problems with mine (hosting company) as well. I appreciate how helpful you are on this forum. I'm very excited about getting started. I'm going to hang out with Ed one more day before heading back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 07:29:37 AM »
The hosting company's been fine except that their tech support is shallow and not very helpful, and they won't discuss necessary IIS (Internet Information Services - a Microsoft product)
settings that are necessary ... I understand and I don't.   The forums are going to be on a different hosting service now, and if I like them enough, will move the new
Glacier Boats web site there too...

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 05:28:09 AM »
I've had problems with mine (hosting company) as well. I appreciate how helpful you are on this forum. I'm very excited about getting started. I'm going to hang out with Ed one more day before heading back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really enjoyed the day with You Lamont, you took to scarfing like a duck to water, talented, you will find building easy, if you just start on page one....
All your questions were surprisingly well thought out, I reckon your boat will be a gem, and one proud to own.
Looking forward to coming over to help mid 2017, gonna cost a few sheets of ply.....  ;)
Not waving....... Drowning!

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »
Thanks for all of your help Ed. I'm looking forward to this build and seeing you in the states. Also, I plan on returning for your GA (Great Australian) launch.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 07:54:28 AM »
Thanks for all of your help Ed. I'm looking forward to this build and seeing you in the states. Also, I plan on returning for your GA (Great Australian) launch.

That would be fun! Wish I could go ...except for the plane ride part though.  I once spent 3+ years travelling all over the world on business, gone from home about 60% of the time, and kinda lost my taste for long plane trips... and it's never come back.  Now with terrorists popping up like weeds everywhere, I think we'll stay home ...near our guns and ammo.  :D

bd

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 03:04:49 AM »
Yep yep yep...... I dislike flying with a vengeance! Did 2 yrs of FIFO 3 wks on 1 wk off - Perth to Christchurch.... 12 hrs from leaving camp till I got to bed..... ChCh to Perth was not better, 12 hrs from bed to starting work! Even for the few hrs before knock off time.
So, I know what you mean, there are benefits though.....
Ever fished in the Indian Ocean?
Be a beaut to put on ur wall!
Not waving....... Drowning!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 09:55:13 PM »
Welcome Lamont!

Its amazing how many builds have started, that give me motivation to keep going. 

Looking forward to your build so post the pics and ask the questions, lots of people with knowledge and willing to help here. Taptalk is an app that works well if you have / like smart phones and makes it easy to post and reply.

Bob