Author Topic: Rick P. from Nashua NH  (Read 4177 times)

katash

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rick P. from Nashua NH
« on: July 19, 2016, 06:50:49 PM »
Hello Everyone,
My name is Ricky Prince from Nashua NH. I am a recovering drag racer. I have built and raced 6 second dragsters up until a couple years ago. It took all my time and most of my money. The problem was the only one that actually got anything out of it was me (major adreniline junkie). finally one day I woke up on the beach after a night of fishing with one of my crew members and the family and at that moment we realized it was time for a change.  Racing had consumed my life for over 20yrs.
I have always had a love for the water, specially the ocean. The last 4 years we have been
Kayak fishing and a couple years ago I purchased a hobie tandem island. They are great but you are limited to how far you can go and not able to take the whole family.
The north east has alot to offfer for fishing if you can get out to the ledge. I was looking for a decent used pilot house and came across a forum where someone suggested building one. I did some research found info on the Tolman than stumble across the GA and fell in love!  From what I have read it will be the perfect boat for the family and for our waters.
I have purchased the plans and have all the supplies to build the jig.
It will be 26 to 28 ft, with a combination of the pilot house designs. Still working that out.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Rick P. from Nashua NH
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 08:58:29 AM »
Hey ...welcome to the club!  I'd make it as long as you can squeeze in ... the cost difference between 26 and 28 feet is nothing and you'll appreciate each extra foot.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

katash

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 04:24:21 PM »
Thank you!
Well space is not a problem, I own a transmission shop and have ear marked the perfect area to do the build. So 28 it is! One step closer :)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:33:12 AM »
Yup ...the extra 2 feet is straight-run simple structure, cheap to build.  You're just stretching the aft half of the boat, and the manual already gives the required offsets and mold spacings ... no thinking required.  Jus' Dew It!

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

davidnolan

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »
ever come down south to NJ, Md or VA.   I know three boats abuilding down here.  Mines just a 27 Jumbo but will give you a feel.   a 28 foot GA will be like a small ship but economical and very very safe

good luck

dave   Cecil County Md

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 03:12:40 AM »
Thank you!
Well space is not a problem, I own a transmission shop and have ear marked the perfect area to do the build. So 28 it is! One step closer :)
Ah ya lucky bugger!
Space, inside a workshop!
Do put an arm chair there, for nutting out those things you want to put into her.... and the odd cool one too!
Remember, when anyone comes to visit, to chinwag so to speak, and ur all fired up to complete a sertian part, put a broome and shovel in their hands! really, they'll love it, "I helped build that......"

Welcome aboard!
Not waving....... Drowning!

Ed Snyder

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 03:13:43 AM »
Thought you may like an avatar.....  ;D
Not waving....... Drowning!

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 10:03:48 PM »
Welcome Ricky,

"Racing" I was told you could make a small fortune if you take a large fortune and go racing, sorry cant help myself.  ;D

You made a good change and the therapy here is priceless!

Cant wait to see your pics.

Bob