Author Topic: Additional scuppers  (Read 2526 times)

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Additional scuppers
« on: November 21, 2016, 06:12:32 AM »
I'm still in the planning stages and looking for feedback about scuppers. I would like to add additional scuppers to the sides. I've seen discussions about raising the sole but I'm curious about just having the scuppers a few inches above the sole. That way sole to shelf height stays at the original design. My want for the side scuppers is for an emergency situation were lots of water is taken on. With them being raised and maybe some type of semi covering, I could keep dry feet but be ready for big waves coming aboard. Any ideas are appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Additional scuppers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:06:19 AM »
Makes sense to me, although I wouldn't put scuppers more than about 2" above the cockpit deck.  You may consider some that can close tightly, but be opened quickly as well.  Keep the aft scuppers at deck height ...you'll never regret being able to wash out the boat by hosing stuff right out the stern...

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 04:29:16 PM »
For sure leave those open. I hope to have plenty of blood to rinse out. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 07:26:22 AM »
The construction manual describes using pipe plugs in round scuppers that both keep the sea out, yet allow you to remove the plug easily too ...My usual advice is to
close and plug all scuppers and keep a dry boat ...until you need them, then open aft scuppers first and get under way so water will go out the stern.  Side scuppers open
when seas are rough enough to risk taking on a wave and you simply must have a way to let a lot of water out fast (or else risk capsize and death) ...pumps simply can't
move the volume of water necessary in these circumstances.  The only one that I've seen that was close was a diverter valve on a V8 that allowed the motor's cooling
system to suck water up in high volume and pump it overboard... but that was a custom configuration designed by the guy that built the boat ...and it's STILL slower than
letting water out through an appropriate number and size of scuppers.  (And hardly anything beats a scared sailor with a bucket ...so don't forget the bailing gear!).

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »
I raised the cockpit and cabin sole four inches to gain room for a larger fish box and fuel tank. I have two scuppers, one on either side of the rear of the cockpit. While fishing, I usually close them, meaning no blood in the water. While underway, I open them to keep the deck drained.
Raising the height of the scuppers seems to me to be problematic, because if you did take water over the side, you would be trapping four inches of water on the deck. That would equate to a couple thousand pounds of fluid trapped on the deck which could spell disaster.
If you don't raise the deck, you would need to keep the scuppers closed with two or more on the fish deck or be standing in water.
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.