Author Topic: Glassing stringers  (Read 2105 times)

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Glassing stringers
« on: October 30, 2017, 07:35:16 PM »
Did you glass your stringers before or after the bottom was fitted to it? The way I understand, a stronger bond would be had by doing so. I’m not sure I could have the bottom attached and have it turned right side up within the 72 hour window.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
Re: Glassing stringers
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 08:13:49 PM »
By all means, glass them before you get around to installing them! I cannot stress that enough! I didn't, because I was adding four inches and hadn't figured out a start/stop point. Believe me, it is a serious pain in the rear, back, knees Etc.. because the hull obviously slopes to the center, it is difficult to keep from slipping and sliding while trying to eliminate bubbles.
Doing it on the horses, you can do one side then the other and still do it not only faster but you get a much better job!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.

sayswho

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 10:10:47 PM »
Cannon,
Thanks for the advice. I too am planning on raising the stringers. I want a little more fuel carrying capacity and fish holding. Did you raise your sides as well or just deal with less free board? I’m leery of dangerously low sides. Could make up the difference with railings.

Cannon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Home Designer, Home Design, House Plans, Remodel Plans, Drafting Service, Salem Oregon and surrounding area
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 03:24:48 PM »
I raised the sides four inches as well to match the sole being raised four inches. You need the rail to be at least crotch height so you can lean against it while fighting and landing fish, hooking up your Down riggers or pulling crab pots. Any lower and you will have a hard time staying aboard in rough water.
Like I said before, put the whole mess together on the horses and glass it while you can comfortably stand and pay attention to detail! You will be really happy you did when it comes time to fillet and tape them to the hull!!!
Remember, the ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by professionals.
Started building Paula J the 2nd Week of June 2015, finished her the second week of July 2016.