Author Topic: A house for my GA  (Read 29715 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: A house for my GA
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 05:22:23 AM »
I'm too cheap and handy to go the vogelzang route although they look cool.  Have built barrel stove for a Elk tent.  I hadn't considered any hearth.  I'm not sure what you are suggesting with the brick, sand, and lumber.  I might hit the google machine up and see

Hearth:  Think "brick path that's boxed in on 4 sides with wood".... Just lay out bricks where you want the stove in your shop, frame them in with wood to keep them from shifting from where you put them, and fill all cracks by sweeping sand around on top of the bricks.  Cheap and fast.

bd
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 06:42:59 AM »
Ok that's easy.  What function does the hearth serve?  Seems unnecessary on a slab floor.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 06:50:48 AM »
Ok that's easy.  What function does the hearth serve?  Seems unnecessary on a slab floor.

I didn't remember that you have a slab floor .... scratch the hearth idea :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 09:53:09 AM »
Gotcha.  No slab yet.  Soon hopefully.  Before the build is the plan

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
 ;D

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
Waiting for a break in the weather to install new roof and siding.  Have done some painting inside the building. Really brightens things up.  Soon I will resume sheeting interior walls as my unit of plywood arrived yesterday.  My good buddy dropped of a unit of 1/2" HDO with another 10 sheets of 3/4" HDO.  Too bad there is not much use for it on the boat project.  It would sure go along way!!   I almost feel bad cutting it for sheeting and shelving

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 04:46:42 PM »
Waiting for a break in the weather to install new roof and siding.  Have done some painting inside the building. Really brightens things up.  Soon I will resume sheeting interior walls as my unit of plywood arrived yesterday.  My good buddy dropped of a unit of 1/2" HDO with another 10 sheets of 3/4" HDO.  Too bad there is not much use for it on the boat project.  It would sure go along way!!   I almost feel bad cutting it for sheeting and shelving

Even a little progress is progress, and as long as there's progress, it'll get done!  I painted the inside of my shop with 'drywall paint' - a sealing type of primer to prep drywall for real paint.  Just turning the grayish drywall into white walls made a huge lighting difference.  It's amazing how much light reflects around the room if you go with all white...

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 04:56:44 PM »
It's been pretty dead here awhile so I thought I would liven things up with a update on my building.  Finished painting the doors and one of the long walls.  Over half way done painting!   I now have the new siding completed minus 1 corner flashing.  The gutter is on.   OT is messing me up for getting the new roof installed.   I figure at my pace I need a three day weekend to get it in the dry.  Next one of those is likely Memorial Day weekend.  On the roof isn't my first choice for activities,  it needs done so I can get the slab in and screw off for awhile. 

Cheers

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 09:13:09 AM »
It's been pretty dead here awhile so I thought I would liven things up with a update on my building.  Finished painting the doors and one of the long walls.  Over half way done painting!   I now have the new siding completed minus 1 corner flashing.  The gutter is on.   OT is messing me up for getting the new roof installed.   I figure at my pace I need a three day weekend to get it in the dry.  Next one of those is likely Memorial Day weekend.  On the roof isn't my first choice for activities,  it needs done so I can get the slab in and screw off for awhile. 

Cheers

Get pix when you can!  Boat or shop ... it's fun to see the progress!

Roofs ... ugh.  I fell 14 feet a few years ago and landed flat on my face (think "push up position" ... arm out trying to break my fall).  It trashed both my shoulders.  The right-hand one's been rebuilt to the tune of $85,000 and the left is something I just suffer along with (pain) and will get fixed if it gets worse.  Bottom line is that it really took all the fun out of ladders and roofs.  I pay others to do that kind of work anymore ... my shoulders cannot stand any further damage, so I take the risk of falling (again) very seriously .... like I said ... UGGHHHHH!!!!  Not for me....

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 12:32:35 PM »
I'm scared!!   I bought fall pro!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 01:53:28 PM »
fall pro?  Insurance like 'fall protection'?  LOL.... we call that 'life insurance' :D

bd

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:54:09 PM by Brian.Dixon »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 06:45:49 AM »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 06:47:51 AM »
A couple shots before I started improving my building

Todd j