Author Topic: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK  (Read 64492 times)

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2023, 11:49:38 AM »
The prop is $5000.
If I can indeed get 15% or better whole-trip range improvement, it's worth it to me because it opens up trip possibilities that are unavailable to me now.

For simple math let's say 100 hours/season, current trip average 7 gal/hour, that's 700 gallons and let's say $4.50/gal gas. That's $3150/season.
If the prop is 15% more efficient, it would save me $410/season and pay for itself in 12 years. If 30% more efficient, 7 years.

So even though the payback is not why I'm buying it, if the performance numbers are as they are for other boats, it's very possible it will pay for itself in 5-10 years while opening up trip possibilities, performing quieter and with less vibration, getting up on plane at lower speeds, and handling better.

It's worth the risk for me to put the $100 down and have some conversations with their engineers at least. I'm excited!

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: March 11, 2023, 07:04:54 PM »
Dug the boat out, took the fenders off my Kokopelli trailer to make bleeding the brakes easier, and was surprised to see the inside of the front axle's tires worn, severely on the right side, shown. Obviously front axle is overloaded (makes axle bend down in a smile, resulting on increased wear on inside of tires). Reasons seem to be load is forward-heavy on axles or tongue is too low due to low hitch on tow vehicle. Anyway, wanted to post this here as a heads up to check your tires regularly, make sure the trailer is towing level, etc. The trailer tows like a dream, I've had no indication of anything wrong. And with the fenders on you have to make a special effort to inspect the tires which I had not done.

I can move the boat back on the trailer about 5" if I need to, but since my tongue weight is already just about 10%, I'm very inclined to think my tongue is just too low, forcing more weight on the front axle. We'll see.....bummer, I was all excited to get out crabbing!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:16:46 PM by Dan Boccia »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 11, 2023, 08:42:08 PM »
Bummer!   I’ve been struggling with too much tongue weight.  Your foam is surely paying you back in that regard.   I’d like to shed 300 lbs up front. 
  Thanks for sharing the tire wear.  I’ll be checking mine.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: March 12, 2023, 12:08:15 AM »
Todd can your boat be moved back further on your trailer?

tule peak timber

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: March 12, 2023, 07:56:49 AM »
What vehicle are you towing with? Do you have a specific setup for crabbing, a davit? thanks

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 12, 2023, 09:26:41 AM »
Todd can your boat be moved back further on your trailer?
It is moved back as far as it can go, the bow winch bracket/mount cannot move further aft.  The trailer axles are moved as far forward as they can go.  The new jack plate arrangement may help some.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #246 on: March 12, 2023, 11:29:59 AM »

Usually when I see the inside wear like that, the trailer tows perfectly ... but the truck's hitch is too low.  They say, ideally, that the trailer should be level when hooked up.  I think a small amount down at the tongue is OK, but the front axle tires will wear a bit more ... at all costs, though, you never want the weight to be too far aft on the trailer ... jackknife risk!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: March 12, 2023, 12:18:02 PM »
Tule Peak, I have the Discovery Bay pot puller that I use for shrimp and crab pots. It's perfect - enough power for up to 3 pots and 800 ft of line, yet relatively small and lightweight. The only step up from there that I think is worth it is an electrodyne and that's a pretty big beast that I don't need.

I'm towing with a 2004 4Runner, one of only a couple years they had a V8 and could tow 7000# and a complete and proper towing package.
Boat and trailer should be no more than 6500# when really loaded up and full of fuel. I'll run the boat across some scales to double check that as well.
It's hitch receiver is a bit low, and my first several tows I had a 2" drop hitch rigged up which certainly had the tongue too low.
I've since flipped that hitch over to its 3/4" rise position and it "looks" a lot better but I need to measure to be sure.

I also have a tongue weight scale so I'm going to find an empty level parking lot sometime soon, load the boat up as normal, and go do some measuring, weighing, and experimenting. I didn't realize there were so many tweaks to get right.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 12, 2023, 03:56:49 PM »
<snip>
I'm towing with a 2004 4Runner, one of only a couple years they had a V8 and could tow 7000# and a complete and proper towing package.
Boat and trailer should be no more than 6500# when really loaded up and full of fuel. I'll run the boat across some scales to double check that as well.
It's hitch receiver is a bit low, and my first several tows I had a 2" drop hitch rigged up which certainly had the tongue too low.
I've since flipped that hitch over to its 3/4" rise position and it "looks" a lot better but I need to measure to be sure.

I also have a tongue weight scale so I'm going to find an empty level parking lot sometime soon, load the boat up as normal, and go do some measuring, weighing, and experimenting. I didn't realize there were so many tweaks to get right.

Yeah, but once tuned, always tuned.  I'd be curious to see what the boat+trailer weighs, disconnected from the truck and sitting on a tongue jack ... then how much the tongue weight is.  Once balanced, then how level is the trailer when sitting on the hitch?  Measure forward end of trailer frame to ground versus rear end of trailer frame to ground?

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: March 12, 2023, 04:02:55 PM »
I'll report my trailer/boat weight disconnected from the truck and all the rest when I get it done.
Since I have one badly worn tire, one fairly worn tire, and two still decent tires but they're all 5 years old....I've decided to start with all new tires to be on the safe side. So I'll get that done first. Then I'll run around town, get the thing weighed, find a flat lot and take the measurements, tongue weight etc.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2023, 07:31:59 AM »
Once balanced, then how level is the trailer when sitting on the hitch?

Most smart phones have a level app and it works great, I use it on camp trailer. Place it on the frame of the trailer tongue, or use a 2' level, good enough. 

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2023, 11:53:29 AM »
I do not plan to use a level, because that would require a perfectly level pad to park on, and I won't find that.

Easier, and more to the point I think, is to find a pad that is decently FLAT, and use a laser level to measure the height of the trailer frame at each axle and the hitch and have all those measurements be equal. The laser level can take into account any amount of the pad not being flat.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2023, 12:56:35 PM »
Update on the Sharrow prop: the engineering team has selected a size and design and their wait list for manufacturing is 100 days, so I expect to get the prop in late June or early July. I'm super excited to try it out!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2023, 06:50:22 PM »
Update on the Sharrow prop: the engineering team has selected a size and design and their wait list for manufacturing is 100 days, so I expect to get the prop in late June or early July. I'm super excited to try it out!

Can't wait to hear about it ... do they explain how they make it work better than other props, or is that too proprietary?

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #254 on: March 17, 2023, 06:54:57 PM »
Their website has some explanations - essentially eliminating "terminal" edges by having the looping design - this reduces cavitation, slip, noise, vibration etc. I haven't studied it thoroughly, my decision was based on the real-world performance reports from several boats, plus my design brain grogs the idea so that was good enough for me!