Author Topic: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK  (Read 64488 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK
« Reply #150 on: November 06, 2019, 03:11:34 PM »
That swim platform is awesome!

Yes ... the most fantastic and detailed setup I've seen yet, and all bristol work!  (I like that word ... bristol, very marine, very nice, very Alaska :D :D.  I like yeoman, as in "yeoman's work"  :D  )

bd

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:13:47 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #151 on: November 06, 2019, 07:39:34 PM »
Well, the swim platform is off the shelf, nothing custom or fancy about it, except ordering the platform separate from the stairs so I could get the 3-step stairs that store nicely. Will be nice for getting in/out of the dinghy. But honestly I could have had one fabbed from aluminum that would have been really cool, but the cost and weight start to add up. With a little bit of work, I bet you could glass one up and make it functional and light and look super cool.

The trim tab manufacturers want you to get a much larger tab than you need. Our boats have less deadrise than many boats, and weight a LOT less, so we don't really need what they specify. Also, keep in mind that their sizing is based on being able to trim the nose of the boat down, which is not what the GA needs, at least in my case - I only need to trim to keep from listing. I think 9x18 is perfect. It sure works well at least. Plus, there is not enough room for a 24" tab and a transducer, so keep that in mind!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 07, 2019, 06:46:07 AM »

I worked hard to make sure the Great Alaskan planed at exactly the right angle ... about 4.1 degrees bow up.  Commercial boats are rarely optimized to that degree (pardon the pun) unless it's a) an expensive boat, and b) it's been on the market for a long time and has been fine-tuned over the years.  I'm very pleased with the GA planing angle ... exactly as predicted with the marine modeling software (Orca3D).

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #153 on: November 07, 2019, 08:02:00 AM »
Dan- Good input on the tabs. Unfortunately I ordered the 24x9 BOLTS last night.  I spoke to 3 different tab companies and they all advised me to go with that size. I can just squeeze them in between the chine and the transom. My boat doesn’t seem to be crying out for trim tabs so your logic is probably correct. If they prove to be to large cutting them down looks like a possibilty
Ken

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: November 07, 2019, 09:17:59 AM »
I also ordered the 9x24 tabs, and just was not at all happy with them, so sent them back for the 18" version, no problems, no questions asked.

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: November 07, 2019, 09:40:51 AM »
Dan- Why were you unhappy with them?
Ken

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2019, 03:42:20 PM »
They're just way too wide - they look weird, and most importantly did not leave enough room for my transom-mounted transducer. The transom looked very crowded when I mocked them up to take a look.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2019, 04:02:28 PM »
They're just way too wide - they look weird, and most importantly did not leave enough room for my transom-mounted transducer. The transom looked very crowded when I mocked them up to take a look.

I think you are right about the manufacturer's guidelines .... OK for a big fat heavy glass boat, but you should downsize for lighter construction like the Great Alaskan.  Mostly, I suspect people use the tabs to correct port/starboard loading differences, not planing trim.  I have gotten zero feedback from people hinting about planing trim needing tuning .... even in choppy conditions where a bit of bow-down trim sometimes helps.  Anyone?

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2019, 01:38:30 PM »
Brian, we tried trimming the bow down with the tabs in a tight 4' chop and I feel like the handling got muddy - I was more comfortable without the tabs engaged.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2019, 02:36:36 PM »
Brian, we tried trimming the bow down with the tabs in a tight 4' chop and I feel like the handling got muddy - I was more comfortable without the tabs engaged.

Thanks.  If I read that right, it's confirmation of not needing bow trim ... but there are always conditions out there that will bug one boat and not another.  I'm just glad that the modeling appears to be confirmed by reality (at $3k for the Orca s/w, I would hope so!)

bd

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: November 08, 2019, 06:34:11 PM »
That's correct Brian, I think your bow trim is pretty spot on, from what I've seen of other boats and my limited experience.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 09, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »
That's correct Brian, I think your bow trim is pretty spot on, from what I've seen of other boats and my limited experience.

:D :D :D

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2020, 10:23:39 PM »
Finally warm enough outside to work on my aft fuel vent problem (fuel coming out the vent when filling, suspect vent fitting too close to fill fitting on tank). Cut the deck open carefully and found out the vent fitting was indeed jammed up right against the fill fitting. A buddy and I purged the tank with an argon/CO2 mixture (it could have been pure argon or CO2, the mixture is just what he had in his shop) for about 30 minutes until the fuel smell went away first. Then we drilled for the new vent fitting with a pneumatic drill, set the fitting, and plugged the old vent with a piece of 5/8" solid aluminum rod. The project went smoothly, and I just put gas in the tank and the new vent works perfectly. So this culminates all my rants about keeping the fuel fill and vent fittings at least 6" away from each other when you design a custom tank!

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2020, 10:36:06 PM »
Also recently reworked my anchoring system. The original hinged anchor roller was meant for hand-pulling the winch, and does not work well at all with the new anchor winch, so I tore it off and replaced it with a non-pivoting anchor roller and devised a way to get the flat roller back off the gunnel. This setup is awesome. There is plenty of room to stand in the anchor well, the winch has a remote that works very well, and it all fits very well up there. I have 550 ft of 1/4" dyneema, 85 ft of 3/8" double braid nylon (shock absorption), and 40 ft of 5/16" chain with a 22 lb claw. That will allow me to easily anchor in 250 ft of water while halibut fishing. I highly recommend these winches! Mine is an EZ Anchor Puller EZ-4. They're very popular here in Alaska.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2020, 07:36:44 AM »
Finally warm enough outside to work on my aft fuel vent problem (fuel coming out the vent when filling, suspect vent fitting too close to fill fitting on tank). Cut the deck open carefully and found out the vent fitting was indeed jammed up right against the fill fitting. A buddy and I purged the tank with an argon/CO2 mixture (it could have been pure argon or CO2, the mixture is just what he had in his shop) for about 30 minutes until the fuel smell went away first. Then we drilled for the new vent fitting with a pneumatic drill, set the fitting, and plugged the old vent with a piece of 5/8" solid aluminum rod. The project went smoothly, and I just put gas in the tank and the new vent works perfectly. So this culminates all my rants about keeping the fuel fill and vent fittings at least 6" away from each other when you design a custom tank!

Looks like the double-wide clamp on the fill is supposed to be in place of double clamping?  No double clamps on the vent(s)?  :D  Sorry man ... the setup looks great and I'm glad that moving the vent confirmed your suspicions and that it's all fixed now.

bd