Author Topic: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK  (Read 64485 times)

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: GA 28 built by Kachemak Skiffs Wasilla, AK
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2020, 08:12:13 PM »
The Attwood surge protector doesn’t stop fuel from weeping out of the vent when the tank is very full and the temperature climbs. I will find out soon if it works as I fill the tank. In either case, I want to stop dealing with fuel coming our of the vent and making a mess. I cobbled some things together today and made a cover for the vent that will collect the fuel as it come out. Davis sold a device at one time that mounted over the vent and was secured with suction cups. It had a bottle connected  to it to collect the fuel. I believe it has been discontinued (liability?). What I made today should accomplish the same thing. I need to find a better collection container but this ice cream container should work. I believe it had mint chocolate chip which I think is the best option if you are searching for a similar container :).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:14:16 PM by kennneee »

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
Completed the bilge blower installation and I'm VERY happy with it. My main objective was to remove gasoline fumes from the bilge area before I do any work in the aft bilge (it gives me a headache to work in there right now), and to be able to move a little bit of air through the entire length of the bilge to air it out occasionally. Some points:

1. The West Marine 3" blower is a re-branded Atwood as far as I can tell, for $30, $12 less than the Atwood. These blowers will reportedly only last for ~ 300 hours, but that's a lot of run time for something I plan to use infrequently. The airflow and noise levels are both very satisfactory.

2. With the 3" duct elbow pointed 45 degrees up to port side, and protected by a vent hood, even if a wave crashes into the engine well, very little water should run into the ducting, and if it does, it will run right past the motor and simply enter the bilge. No big deal, and this would be a very rare occurrence.

3. It draws 2.3 amps, 0.6A less than advertised. That said my ducting run is stupid short - just enough to get the blower to about the top of the stringer level.

4. I was VERY happy to note a small, but certain, amount of air being sucked into the forward bilge compartment in the cabin with the blower on, so indeed, even with only 1" limber holes through the various bulkheads of the bilge, a small bit of air is moving. I still would recommend future builders use larger limber holes in the bilge to let more air through - there's no reason not to.

Looking through my remaining to-do list, this is the last electrical installation, so now I can finally secure the main wiring bundle and install protection over it in a few places. THAT makes me very happy :)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2020, 12:56:29 PM »

Great news, Dan, and good idea on bigger limbers.  Main idea on the 15/16" holes was so they could be plugged with a standard transom plug, but if made larger and designed to fit a plastic pipe-test plug (see Home Depot and buy stainless replacement nut/bolt), then you can still plug them up.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2020, 08:36:31 PM »
Been wanting to share my fastener storage solution, it has made a huge difference in my organization and efficiency installing electronics, electrical, etc. Get some Plano 3620 tackle organizers and put in a bunch of the dividers. I find the lid closure plenty secure and the box adequately strong/durable for this use. Perfect for electrical end terminals too.

When I'm anchoring main wiring runs with lots of wires, I prefer to avoid zip ties because you're always cutting them off and having to re-install them which is wasteful and a royal hassle, and I also prefer to avoid long conduits because small wires don't pull through them well and thus another type of hassle is created. My solution this time around was to cut 1.5" wide sections of 3" PVC that had one quarter of its section ripped out. Fastened up into the bottom of the gunnels, with them up against the hull and they are very stable, provide plenty support to the wiring, and are super convenient to use. Fussy to make, but I was not finding a better option this time around.

Came up with an elegant way to accommodate different widths of jars, etc. in the galley spice rack as shown in the photo.

Finally, I found a slick solution for hanging towels, etc in the galley by replacing the acorn nuts on the roof rail bolts with eye nuts, then stringing between the eye nuts. go2marine.com (basically online LFS) has them for a reasonable price....they can be stupid expensive at many places.

Very satisfying slowly getting these usability details solved - they make for a big difference on the water.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2020, 08:01:23 AM »

As always ... outstanding detail and finish on your boat - It really makes owning and using the boat an even more pleasurable experience :D

Thanks for sharing!!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2020, 10:11:25 PM »
Got very tired of starting out with clean windows, then ending up on the water after towing with filthy windows. Plus the possibility of kicking up a rock and breaking a window. So had Fine Line in Anchorage make up a window cover for me. Like most other things to do with boats, they've done a bunch of these and knew exactly what to do. Sunbrella on the outside, padded, with a softer material on the inside, fits like a glove. $250 well spent, and I will end up with clean windows when I hit the water!

I like it so much I am going to have them make a cover for the whole bow of the boat, to protect the paint from rock chips and also help keep it halfway clean while towing. I take the boat to homer, which is a 4 hour drive, so towing damage is an issue to be dealt with.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2020, 11:10:25 PM »
That is super cool!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2020, 06:15:57 AM »

You never fail to amaze me with all your well thought out fine details.... :D :D :D

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2020, 07:58:47 AM »
I’m going to need one of those. Nice

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2020, 12:29:56 AM »
Just got back from a 5-day fishing, shrimping, camping, testing-the-boat-out-trip through northern Prince William Sound. All the small outfitting touches paid big rewards. That said, without a doubt the most appreciated item is the anchor winch, and my new Rocna Vulcan anchor. The winch makes anchoring up easy, convenient, and something that I will do frequently, rather than a task I dread. The Vulcan hooks up maybe even faster than the Bruce style claw I've always used in the past, and most definitely has better holding power. Strongly recommended. Love the 40 ft of 5/16" chain.

One of the few disadvantages of a stitch-n-glue boat is the inability to navigate through ice, which I find would be useful in a few of my Alaskan trips. Would be very curious on a future build to incorporate a skin of 1/8" aluminum to the hull.

Spent a lot of time using the autopilot and running back to analyze the depth of the anti-cavitation plate in the water column, suspecting my engine is mounted too low. Noticed a pretty big difference with a full vs empty rear fuel tank and whether or not I had shrimp gear back there. Leads me back to having a hydraulic jack plate for the engine, so I could adjust engine height depending on load. A light trip like this one is a different thing entirely from a deer hunting trip with 2 friends in October.....and I think there is quite a bit of fuel efficiency to be gained, so am considering ripping off the engine and installing the plate.....

Here is a deck view just after pulling shrimp pots, with pots all baited and ready to toss back in. Storing the boat hook in spring-clips just starboard of the door works awesome, as does storing the fish whacker on the port "wing" just aft of the cabin. Probably going to mount a couple more spring-clips for the deck brush, which sees a lot of use.

And a glamour shot to inspire current builders.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2020, 07:07:03 AM »

Awesome feedback and I agree on hydraulic jack plates.  A short (close to the transom) hydraulic jack plate is my favorite way to mount an outboard on these.

So ... I see ZERO pictures of shrimp or dead fish ... were you merciful and let them all swim, unmolested, for next time?  :D

bd

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2020, 07:54:59 AM »
Dan,

At rest your boat sits in the water perfectly, very clean arrangement on the back deck and spring clip is a great idea for storage of those useful frequently used items.

Oh, the scenery is second to none!

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2020, 08:38:36 AM »
Nice, nice nice! I love the idea of a jack plate. I’m considering one myself and I’m not even in the water yet

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »
Put the jack plate on there now. Waiting until after you've already mounted it will just create a whole lot more work.

I agree the boat sits and runs in the water very nicely. Credit Brian's design for that. Along with BayWeld aluminum boats and Ocean Sport fiberglass boats, I think the GA is one of the best hulls on the water....and bring lots of money to get into those other two....

Brian, I can assure you I'm not running a catch and release operation. Since this is a build thread I've avoided posting pics of the harvest, but since you insist, I'll spot you a 75 lb halibut, a bunch of young bull kelp (delicious!), a yelloweye, a grey (or pacific) cod, and lots of spot prawns!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2020, 11:23:24 AM »
NOW we're cookin' with gas!  Catch pix are NEVER out of place around here!

Looks like a p-cod to me ....

What do you do with the kelp?  Never heard of harvesting it ... put it in smoothies for all those trace minerals and sea-nutrition?

THANKS FOR THE PIX, DAN!!

Brian