Author Topic: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA  (Read 83568 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA
« Reply #285 on: May 12, 2021, 10:05:28 AM »
Do you think you will make the trip to port Townsend? I sure would like to see your boat?

As of now I am accepted for a spot on the water... The stars kind of need to align though, there are a number of things I need to figure out to make it so. I have most of the family commitment things worked out but need to kind of get my butt in gear and finish among other logistical things like registration and wide load permits, but abandoning perfection is probably a great first step. :) Really hoping to see you all there.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #286 on: May 12, 2021, 02:39:40 PM »
Do you think you will make the trip to port Townsend? I sure would like to see your boat?

As of now I am accepted for a spot on the water... The stars kind of need to align though, there are a number of things I need to figure out to make it so. I have most of the family commitment things worked out but need to kind of get my butt in gear and finish among other logistical things like registration and wide load permits, but abandoning perfection is probably a great first step. :) Really hoping to see you all there.

It's gonna be fun!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2021, 11:08:03 PM »
Big step for me tonight, I finally buttoned down my cockpit sole. What a show that was... I started putting fillet mix out with a plastic bag and then realized very quickly that I was going to run out of wood flour. Luckily I had a big box of fumed silica, which I used a lot of and accented with what wood flour I had left. The resulting mix didn't stand up tall quite as great (didn't fill gaps as well) and I didn't get it quite thick enough, but had a good amount of squeeze out in a lot of areas when I put the deck down so I think I got it good enough.

I have also been potting my deck hardware a bit using rbob's article that he shared for a guide. It's been tedious but I think it will be worth it. The result is pretty bulletproof.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2021, 06:53:33 AM »

Wow ... I hate running out of something in the second that I need it!  Glad your quick thinking got you through!  The deck looks great, BTW ... you'll really enjoy walking on a flat surface now!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: May 27, 2021, 08:05:42 AM »

Wow ... I hate running out of something in the second that I need it!  Glad your quick thinking got you through!  The deck looks great, BTW ... you'll really enjoy walking on a flat surface now!

It was definitely a bit of a moment of panic, 'um, sooooo, should I scrape this big ole cup of fillet mix up then and throw it in the trash and break out the scraper tomorrow?'. The high cabosil mix actually seemed like it had enough body, I was mainly worried that if I walked on it at all before it was dried it would squeeze it all out and leave pockets. Worked out though, I just looked and everything seems solid. Hope I didn't forget anything! If I did it's going above decks now...

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: June 25, 2021, 11:01:31 AM »
I picked up my trailer today, and got my windows a couple days ago from Wynne. Both did a fantastic job, top notch workmanship, I am very happy all around. Lots of work to do just getting all of this stuff installed, but once the boat is on the trailer I can start working on installing my motor, so fun times ahead. The trailer weighs 950 lbs, which is less than I thought it would (and it's 7500 lbs gross, not 7000 like I previously thought).

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 25, 2021, 11:16:07 AM »
Awesome!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: June 25, 2021, 03:16:48 PM »
GOOD LOOKING TRAILER!!!!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: June 28, 2021, 03:23:58 PM »
New home for my floaty toy. For those who are about to do this, get the tongue as high as you can while you are loading it. I have a big dip that made the rear of the trailer stick up, which really scratched the crap out of the bottom. I will get in there and fix it but... Not real great anyways. It also caused the hdpe on the bunks to break free and start to slide, so I probably scratched the bottom more as a result. Regardless, the end result is the same. No one lost an arm and the boat is ready for the next steps so all in all it was a good day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Yxbn2_7hU

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 28, 2021, 03:30:13 PM »
I saw a GA builder cranking his hull onto his trailer once ... the jig rolled forward with the boat and smashed/broke a row of 3 lights on the center of the end of the trailer ... live and learn they say :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 03:42:04 PM by Brian.Dixon »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: June 28, 2021, 03:37:52 PM »

I saw a GA builder cranking his hull onto his trailer once ... the jig rolled forward with the boat and smashed/broke a row of 3 lights on the center of the end of the trailer ... live and learn they say :)

Ya, I haven't checked quite yet but my jig rolled up against the strip on my trailer too, might have cracked it. I was sort of committed at that point... w/e, moving on!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 03:42:17 PM by Brian.Dixon »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 28, 2021, 07:42:50 PM »
Glad it went on with only minor damage.  I will be trying the same soon, my brother in-law use to unhook the trailer from the truck and winch boats on at the marina he worked at, I need to ask him again its been 30 years since I seen it done.

It was suggested to me to put dish soap on the trailer bunks to make it slide, I have never put one on a trailer before.  A side note my brother in-law was winching boats that were resting on car tires not a jig...

Thanks for the video!

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: June 28, 2021, 10:55:46 PM »
Glad it went on with only minor damage.  I will be trying the same soon, my brother in-law use to unhook the trailer from the truck and winch boats on at the marina he worked at, I need to ask him again its been 30 years since I seen it done.

It was suggested to me to put dish soap on the trailer bunks to make it slide, I have never put one on a trailer before.  A side note my brother in-law was winching boats that were resting on car tires not a jig...

Thanks for the video!

I bet that dish soap would have really helped. I wish I had thought of that. I think a large part of my problem was the binding from the plastic and the angle of attack. I needed my tongue higher, back lower, less friction, and the aft bunks a bit closer to center towards the front. I am going to try to jack the boat to make adjustments to the bunks, but not sure how that will go. I might just need to get this thing done and put it in the water to really make the adjustments correctly. We will see.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 29, 2021, 07:00:41 AM »
Outstanding, did you spray on the paint or roll it, looks great?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 29, 2021, 08:03:58 AM »

With the tongue jack all the way up, you can lower the back end of the trailer even lower by letting air out down to 15psi or so... the trailer will squish down and be more forgiving as the boat makes the leap from jig to trailer ...