Author Topic: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA  (Read 85294 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Outdoor build of GA
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2019, 04:45:54 PM »
Ha! I am in southern California, we call them pancakes around these parts. :) I grew up near Gresham OR, and everyone in those parts calls fizzy sugar drinks 'pop'. When I first moved to california everyone made fun of me constantly for calling it 'pop'. I now know the error of my ways, it's soda.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 07:09:01 AM »
Ha! I am in southern California, we call them pancakes around these parts. :) I grew up near Gresham OR, and everyone in those parts calls fizzy sugar drinks 'pop'. When I first moved to california everyone made fun of me constantly for calling it 'pop'. I now know the error of my ways, it's soda.

Same here ... Pacific Northwest.  It's pancakes.  But when I grew up, we called all soft drinks 'coke'.  You could walk into your local Arctic Circle and tell the guy you wanted a large coke.  He'd say "What kind?" .... then you tell him ... "Orange".  Now it seems that 'soda' is the word to use, and if you say 'coke', they'll say, "Sorry ... only got Pepsi".  :D

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »
Pop, pancakes, packing tape --- I suspect are all Canadian influences.
But I've never heard a 'Mericun say rooooof (not ruf), or call the things we put on our heads in the winter by their correct name - a "Toque". :) :) :) :)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »

Gawd Bless 'Merkah, Fords'n Shivvies!  Gotta love bein' deplorable....

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2019, 01:47:47 PM »
I built the Kodiak chines and installed them on my bottom assembly, I guess I am committed at this point so a new title is in order. I have also changed to building a curved transom since I need to redo that as well, so I have some 12mm aquatek glued up for that. I have to say that one of my favorite parts of this build so far is using trigonometry to find lengths or angles that I need (for instance I didn't have a protractor so I was using the Pythagorean theorem to cut angles when I needed a reference). It's good to finally use some of that stuff I spent so many hours learning once upon a time. I assume there is probably going to be a lot of that when I do the lofting of the transom.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »
Looks like a lot of sawdust on the floor!  How are the kodiak chine flats

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »
Ha! Ya, I need to sweep that up, I am getting tired of walking on it. :) They are pretty wide, the bottom assembly is pretty large with them on it. I am really excited to see how wide this hull is fully assembled, there is a long way to go before that happens though.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »
It's funny, because to me, the picture of the wider chine flats looks a lot like the normal width ... Maybe I should've made them a yard wide :D :D ?

bd

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2019, 03:40:26 PM »
I was wondering if the hull would look odd with the bigger chines, but I think it will probably look just fine. They are almost double the width though. A yard wide might be pushing it a bit. :)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2019, 06:37:56 PM »
It's funny, because to me, the picture of the wider chine flats looks a lot like the normal width ... Maybe I should've made them a yard wide :D :D ?

bd

They look a foot wide In that perspective.  I guessed 1 1/2”-2” wider?   Judging y the amount hanging over the mold
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:41:03 PM by Todd j »

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 07:00:17 PM »
Json, I am also building a curved transom. Did you use 4 sheets of 1/2? How easy did it bend?

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2019, 08:39:32 AM »

bd

They look a foot wide In that perspective.  I guessed 1 1/2”-2” wider?   Judging y the amount hanging over the mold

Ya, they are probably 2 inches wider than the other ones I built, I think they are 7 wide at the widest spot.

Json, I am also building a curved transom. Did you use 4 sheets of 1/2? How easy did it bend?

You are correct Dennis, it's 4 sheets of 1/2" ply, although really just 2 sheets cut in two. I researched a bit on the minimum bending radius for different thicknesses of plywood and used that as my guide, and I think I ended up settling on 12'. The material was pretty easy to bend, getting it glued and bent and lined up in place was another story. :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:45:07 AM by json »

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2019, 10:36:20 AM »
I love the look of a curved transom! 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2019, 01:31:03 PM »
I love the look of a curved transom!

It helps to prevent broaching in a following sea too.

Brian

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2019, 02:23:22 PM »
I cut the transom out today, and proved once again that I can't cut an accurate angle with a jigsaw to save my life, compounded by curved lines that are a result of a curved transom, and the fit is 'ok'. I am actually pretty happy how close I came, I was kind of thinking I was going to screw up somewhere and have to start all over. Question I have when thinking about the lamination I did, should I be worried if I didn't put microfibers in the glue? My gut says don't sweat it, if it wants to delaminate it's going to only be able to do so around the edges and probably won't do so since it will be hugged tight by glass. Maybe I will throw some biaxial over the outside corners to reinforce them a bit. Idk, opinions welcome about that.