Author Topic: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA  (Read 83553 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA
« Reply #105 on: October 10, 2019, 04:40:02 PM »
Good to know, thanks Brian. Interlux Barrier Kote 404/414 - that's the one. Back to fairing.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »
The boat is looking good. Brian do you think this primer would be a good choice for painting the inside of things like the crash chamber or bed bunks? Looking for something I can use that is white and bright but not too many fumes. Getting cold here and hard to ventilate fumes

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2019, 01:47:33 PM »
I think others have used titanium dioxide for this purpose, as it pigments but apparently doesn't offer a lot of UV protection, so good for undersides of decks. I had a heck of a time trying to keep it from sinking out when using it but I suppose if I stirred a lot and did a lot of coats it probably would have worked fine. No fumes that way, from the research I was doing about primers the epoxy ones are scary to work with in closed spaces.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2019, 06:45:32 AM »

The 404/414 stuff is stinky ... open a can and then decide if you want to apply it under decks and in crash chambers.

For under deck where it might be wet, I'd use a quality marine paint system .... but any primer that the paint system uses is fine, even if not high-body.  This stuff is hidden, so don't spend extra money and time on it.  Just scrape whatever glass edges and what not that you need to so that water can drain to the bilge unimpeded.

Rustoleum Marine paints (usually from Lowe's) works well and is inexpensive for inside bunks, crash chambers and under decks.  I find that regular ol' spray-cans of Rustoleum works well for getting hidden and hard to reach areas painted.  I've got a boat where the inside of the bunks were painted with that 20 years ago and it's still like new in there.... nice and white.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2019, 07:54:09 AM »
I wanted to let you know I found an outfit in lake havasu that builds aluminum fuel tanks. There priced are so much better then others I checked into. Let me know if need there names, much closer then shipping from the east coast of up north. Dennis in pagosa springs

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »
I wanted to let you know I found an outfit in lake havasu that builds aluminum fuel tanks. There priced are so much better then others I checked into. Let me know if need there names, much closer then shipping from the east coast of up north. Dennis in pagosa springs

Absolutely! :) I can take a road trip and pick one up and dodge shipping potentially. I am also curious what dimensions you are ordering your tank at and what it cost you if you are interested in sharing!

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2019, 05:25:04 PM »
I too am driving that way to save $500 plus in shipping costs. The company name is KSH fuel products. I went with a single tank that is 8 feet long, 3 baffles, 3/16 5052 aluminum124 gallons. The cost was right around $1100. Still working with them on details. Looks like about 2-3 weeks out. BTW, also having a trailer built in Salt Lake City as well, metal craft trailers. Right around $6000. You might do yourself justice by looking for a nice used one. Not many used 28 foot trailers in Colorado. 🍻

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2019, 08:05:35 AM »
I too am driving that way to save $500 plus in shipping costs. The company name is KSH fuel products. I went with a single tank that is 8 feet long, 3 baffles, 3/16 5052 aluminum124 gallons. The cost was right around $1100. Still working with them on details. Looks like about 2-3 weeks out. BTW, also having a trailer built in Salt Lake City as well, metal craft trailers. Right around $6000. You might do yourself justice by looking for a nice used one. Not many used 28 foot trailers in Colorado. 🍻

I have had my eye on used trailers, a lot of what I am finding doesn't have a title and I am not sure how to get it titled. It's probably going to take me a bit more research how to go about that, there have been a few titled dual axle trailers that would have worked but I am not really ready to take one on yet as I don't really have the space. I should probably make space though and get it in the works so I am not feeling rushed to rehab it. Thanks for the info on the tank. 40 gallons and a day sounds way better than $500 shipping for sure...

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2019, 05:30:51 PM »
So apparently my neighbor is as sick of sanding as I am. She came by and told me that I am not to be sanding on Sundays and holidays and asked me if this was ever going to end and if I did this for a living, and I smiled and nodded and told her that I was just as sick of sanding as she was and hopefully wrapping it up soon and then promptly got back to sanding. I looked into city ordinance about it and I am able to be cited if I sustain average noise of over 55dB, which a random orbit with a 5 hp shop vac hooked up to it is well over that I would imagine. Either way, it's a good excuse to not make things perfect so I am thinking once the rain subsides I will give flipping a hull a go and give the sanding a break for a while.

Speaking of rain, the first big rain of the year came, and I thought I was good since everything is coated and cured. Of course when I went to go look at all the beautiful water cascading off my project I looked up under the edge next to the shelves/transom and the edge ply is soaked. Water wicked up around the corner and up into the wood. I am going to put some duct tape on the edge and let it overhang and hopefully it will ride out the storm and divert the rest of the water where it should go and not to never never land. There is becoming less and less places for the water to get out once it's in so I am hoping I can keep as much out as I can. There is always some challenge being outside tho, whether it's the dew point with applying epoxy or santa ana winds blowing around crap after a full boat coating. I am jealous of all you guys and your warm sheltered shops to work in. The hull is nice and clean now so there is that... :)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2019, 08:44:45 PM »
I think my radio is louder than that.  Hope she doesn’t become a problem for you.  One way or another the end of the sanding is something to look forward to

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2019, 09:29:55 PM »
I think my radio is louder than that.  Hope she doesn’t become a problem for you.  One way or another the end of the sanding is something to look forward to

Ya, I sort of look at it like she is doing me a favor when I am not being irritated that she is getting upset that I am working in my driveway on a random Wednesday morning... I am seriously sick of sanding, it feels like that is all that I have been doing for months haha. I am sure you know the feeling. I did look into pneumatic sanders and whether or not they are quieter. I assume most of the noise though is coming from the hull reverberating with the vibration acting like a big amplifier. Either way, probably better to just be quiet for a bit instead of having the Orange fuzz threatening me to stop it or pay $$. It's a good excuse for a break and to move on to the next phase and forget this one for a bit.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2019, 06:54:35 AM »
Tell her that you owe her a dinner to celebrate the end of sanding when it occurs....
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2019, 06:02:11 PM »
Brian, that's not a bad idea about the dinner thing, if it comes up again I might take that route. In any case, I did a little flipping yesterday to close out November. It was interesting, as the hull doesn't fit below the cranes I made, so I had to be creative and pick it up behind and in front from the u bolts. My first try I tried picking the aft end up from the transom eye and almost collapsed my gantry with the sheer load. I did a bit more reenforcement of the sheer and then tried again, this time using a strap between the eye bolts on the transom to try to pick it up closer to center and then spin it in the air and set it down again. I got it almost to the rotation point and then decided I should probably get some help, so I recruited my brother in law. We got at it and as it rotated to the weight being towards the keel I tried to control the weight transfer with a rope. Unfortunately it slipped on the strap and transferred a massive sideways load into the crane. 3 out of the 4 sheer supports were sheared off, the 4th cracked but held on. The hull settled down with the weight centered and the crane held, so it was just a matter of lowering it from that point and putting it down right side up after I stabilized the gantry. The rest was uneventful. Either way, I think this flip would have gone perfectly if I had used something like a knot in the strap to keep it from slipping instead of just looping it around the carabiner a number of times and trying to use the overlapping force to keep it there. Either way, the hull is now sitting on the cradles right side up, and a new chapter begins. Here's a couple of time-lapse videos of doing the flip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr-XLXuqqIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fCFi0Dyg4s

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2019, 10:56:50 PM »
Fun stuff!   The carabiner used that way is kinda dangerous.  I did something similar to pick straight up, even though it’s prohibited practice.  That being said I have to tell on myself a bit I guess.  I used 2x6 bolted through the shear decks at the transom and about 6 feet aft of the bow.  I used a choke just inside the the shear deck so the center of gravity would pick it over center.   I let the 2x6 skid across the floor so the boat wouldn’t touch.  I was thinking it was time to install the hold back.  One more tug on the chain fall and the whole boat went.  It was swinging from the rafters and almost knocked me over!  At least 2 feet side to side.  I ended up putting the hold backs on after that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:00:32 PM by Todd j »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2019, 08:14:25 AM »
Hahaha... darn... Ya, that's scary. I was trying to stay well clear of the direction it was going to fall/tip so if it did go I would have at least not been directly in the path, but I can't imagine being in a small shop while doing that with nowhere to run, not that there would be time to even react probably.

The carabiners I used had a 7 kN rating the open/closed direction, and a rating of 25kN the other direction, so while I am not going to pretend to know physics well enough to estimate a dynamic load, the rating would suggest that if nothing slipped (it did) then even on the weakest side they should be able to hold 1/2 of a thousand pound hull. Idk, maybe I am not considering something else about it though. If so I would love to hear so the next time I flip a boat I don't make the same mistake. I don't have a lot of experience lifting things or using cranes, I do have a lot of engineering math under my belt but that doesn't translate well to understanding real world scenarios for dos and don'ts.