Author Topic: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA  (Read 12167 times)

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2020, 10:43:14 AM »
I am using the roof to test out Interlux Prime-Kote 404/414 high build primer and what I can/should utilize it for. I have a sort of informal goal to have most of the sun-exposed regions of the boat painted by the end of November so I don't need to worry as much about them, so this is a good first step in that direction. I put the first coat on last night, and purposefully did some different levels of fairing/detail work to see just what a high body primer can hide. With one coat that I haven't yet sanded I was really impressed by the coverage. It rolled out pretty easy, and was thick enough to get a good coat on everything. I didn't tip it because I intend to multi-coat and sand, so it wasn't real smooth, but it was good enough and definitely did a good job of sufficiently coating the roof. With a single coat it obscured any spots that weren't sanded perfectly smooth from bumps in the epoxy coats (I mostly just took off the high spots before priming), it did not hide the crap job I did at fairing the glass line down the middle of the roof or the couple of spots where I floated the glass off the ply with too much epoxy. It also didn't obscure any unfaired tape seams, but that was expected.

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2020, 12:42:23 PM »
Looks good to me.  Who will ever look any closer than you right now?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2020, 12:55:06 PM »

I think it looks pretty good too.  I like the 404/414 (used to be 'Barrier Kote') ... it hides a thousand sins!

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2020, 03:17:28 PM »
Looks good to me.  Who will ever look any closer than you right now?

Nobody who's opinion I care about unless they feel like manning a sander for a work day in my garage.  ;D

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: September 15, 2020, 09:20:32 AM »
After a bit more research for the next primer installment I changed things up a bit. I was reading on the interwebs that a high build coating is supposed to be "built up", and that basically you want to roll it thin (or spray it thin) and wait for the reducer to flash off and then reapply over and over to build up a sufficient thickness to work with. So I changed a couple things up, namely I used the max amount of reducer in the paint, pouring only small amounts into the roll pan and covering the rest, and also switched from a 'hair' type of roller to a finish foam roller from home depot. What a difference. I thought coat 1 was great, coat 2 came out greater. Roller marks were reduced or eliminated, I just walked around and around the visor applying thin coats and by the time I returned again the solvent had evaporated and I could apply another coat. This is going to be much easier to sand, because this stuff is pretty rock hard, so less peaks and valleys is bueno. If things look good after sanding I will move onto alexseal's finish primer and topcoat. I ordered a newly released additive for alexseal last night (A5018) that is supposed to remove the need to tip (it causes bubbles to immediately pop and the paint to flow out like glass off the roller) so we will see, not sure if I will wait for that or forge ahead.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 15, 2020, 10:27:54 AM »

I've heard good things about Alexseal and the no-tip finish turning out great.  I didn't know it needed a special additive though.  Looking forward to your results and pix ...

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2020, 10:54:35 AM »

I've heard good things about Alexseal and the no-tip finish turning out great.  I didn't know it needed a special additive though.  Looking forward to your results and pix ...

bd

The additive is brand new according to Andy on boatworks today, and he described it as a 'game changer' for DIY, so I figured I would give it a shot. :)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2020, 04:36:23 PM »

bd

The additive is brand new according to Andy on boatworks today, and he described it as a 'game changer' for DIY, so I figured I would give it a shot. :)

Awesome!

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2020, 05:12:24 PM »
Some before and after pics. I learned a lot here, definitely some dos and don'ts for the rest of the boat. My roll only additive didn't come in time for this, so I went ahead and rolled with no tipping without it. It came out ok, I certainly could have benefited from bubbles just popping, because they are hard to get to go away completely with just a roller, especially when the solvent starts to flash off. I also mixed up a little too much paint, and it's expensive stuff, so I tried to get it all on the piece and ended up with a couple small sags as a result (doh). Lesson learned, just throw the extra paint in the trash. Also, my first attempt at sanding the high body primer was with a low grit, something like 60 or 80 and I didn't make much of a dent (that stuff is hard as rocks). I moved to 220 and it sanded much easier, and man, it gets smooth. Next time I get into some priming I am going to use a guide coat I think to make sure I get it super smooth, because small flaws do project quite a bit into the finish, and also if it's got valleys and whatnot you can't really get at it with a sander so well for things like finish primer which is really really thin. Either way, good to know what level of fairing is going to be required moving forward. Bad to know how much work that's gonna take lol.

I think the roof turned out pretty good, maybe a 3ft - 5ft finish, hopefully I can get it installed this weekend and get moving on the next chapter.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2020, 06:09:08 AM »

I think it's turning out fantastic.  The finish looks perfect from here!

bd

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2020, 07:55:56 AM »
I used alexseal and love it. Bubbles are an issue if you don’t thin properly. Would love to hear more about this new additive.

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2020, 09:03:12 AM »
I used alexseal and love it. Bubbles are an issue if you don’t thin properly. Would love to hear more about this new additive.

I couldn't find it on Alexseal's website, but here is a link for it on the store I bought it and the rest of my paint from:

https://www.goldcoastmarine.com/products-details/813/alexseal-a5018-topcoat-501-roll-additive.html

And here is the boatworks today video where I saw it:

https://www.boatworkstoday.com/videos/alexseal-changing-the-game-for-diy-boat-painting/

Neither of them have that much information but I think Andy on boatworks today is going to be getting some on that hull in the video pretty soon if he hasn't already, I haven't looked. I think my shipment should be here any time, but I don't really have anything to paint any time soon so... science is going to have to wait haha. I did talk to the rep at gold coast marine and he said from what he has heard it's pretty amazing stuff and has been selling like crazy.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:34:04 AM by json »

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2020, 09:19:03 AM »
Wow, painted and looking amazing!  I need to check out Alexseal paint all I hear is good stuff about it.

json

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2020, 02:23:21 PM »
Wow, painted and looking amazing!  I need to check out Alexseal paint all I hear is good stuff about it.

I have been dealing with Luke down at Gold Coast Marine in Ft. Lauderdale (actually ordering online and then they call you, their website is pretty hokey). He has been helpful and they have been reliable getting my supplies to me in a pretty timely manner.

Cap's on! I got my brother to come by this morning to help me put the roof on, looks pretty awesome. I have also been working on the bulwarks, I used 12mm aquatek glassed 10oz on the inside, and was able to make the bends, although it was a struggle. I also (re)found a pretty giant flat spot on the port side of the hull that I am going to have to fair in, the benefit (or drawback depending on how you look at it) of using 12mm is it bends fair, so my sheer gets put under a microscope now. I have a longboard on the way haha. At least the rest of it looks pretty close.

To install the roof, we just lined it all up, made some alignment marks, then propped it up on a couple scraps of 4x4 and whatnot, and then spread the glue and lowered it down and made final tweeks. Went really easy. I also put a #6 x 1 1/4" 316 fastener into the longitudinal supports 1/3 of the way down each one (total of 4) and used microfibers so hopefully that will keep it together when I am walking up there.

Todd j

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2020, 05:18:16 PM »
Awesome!