Author Topic: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA  (Read 27330 times)

jklistof

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
Re: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2020, 08:42:58 PM »
Nice

Grady300

• Lt. Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: September 28, 2020, 12:28:08 PM »
Great looking job on your roof!!!!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2020, 11:06:01 PM »
I test fit some cockpit sole cutouts that I have been working on tonight. It feels good to have a surface to walk on that's above the stringers. I was also looking at cockpit size vs bait tank, I am thinking 80 gallon double from pacific edge is going to fit the bill. I originally was looking at 120 gallons but it's just kind of obnoxiously big and 10 scoops is a bit of a stretch, plus the extra 350 lb+ is also a lot. Either way there is still a ton to do under the deck but good to see the end for a minute to get a feel for what's to come.

Todd j

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2020, 07:29:24 AM »
Its pretty awesome not to have to step over the stringers every in and out.  My deck is still loose with tons of stuff to do under,  but its easy to pull them out

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2020, 07:54:28 AM »
Its pretty awesome not to have to step over the stringers every in and out.  My deck is still loose with tons of stuff to do under,  but its easy to pull them out

Ya, no doubt. Out of sight, out of mind. :) I am going to try to not forget that there is a bunch of stuff to do under there...

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: October 19, 2020, 05:16:02 PM »
I have been back in fairing never never land, there was a lot of it after adding bulwarks. The starboard one is not quite done, but the port one is glassed and faired. I am getting close to being ready to prime and paint the port side which is exciting. I added a lot of work for myself because I didn't scarf the bulwarks or use backing on the butt joint, so as could be expected it stuck out like a sore thumb (or maybe more appropriately looked like a broken thumb). I lined them up as best I could tho and glued them, and then glassed the outside and just sanded and filled until it looked pretty fair. Note to self - take the extra hour or 2 next time and just scarf the pieces... I also had a giant flat spot on the port side that took me quite a few passes to get filled in. I went over it all with some cloth and once it's primed no one will be the wiser. In between that torture I have been working on finishing up under the cockpit sole, I keep going back and forth on what I want to do there but I think I have settled on leaving a lot of unutilized space for now and potentially coming back to use it later. I am going to build in a pretty large fish/ice box between the stringers in front of the bilge and also a small sea chest for my thru-hulls, but other than that I am just going to put in some glass tube in the limbers that I can put plugs in so that I have some (hopeful) protection in the event that I get holed. I also have the cockpit coaming cut out and ready to install so with all of that I can almost finally see what this thing is going to look like, which feels pretty good.

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #231 on: October 19, 2020, 05:27:27 PM »
Also something that I was meaning to throw in here for other's benefit, I got some talc to add to fairing mixes after doing some research, and it seems like it really helps it come off the knife smoother and stick better to the boat rather than just want to peel off. My mix now is a bit of cabosil, about twice as much talc, and then thicken with Q cells or microspheres (I bought 10 lbs of the 3m ones), and it feels pretty close to system three's kwikfair. It does apparently soak up water which isn't great but... so does plywood, so as long as I encapsulate it the same I am not really worried about it. It also sands like a dream.

WCR247

• Midshipman
  • Son of a Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #232 on: October 19, 2020, 08:41:21 PM »
That last picture really shows how big the boat is. Looks amazing though.
Sail away, Sail away, Three sheets to the wind. Live Hard, Die Hard, This ones for him.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #233 on: October 20, 2020, 06:07:00 AM »
Also something that I was meaning to throw in here for other's benefit, I got some talc to add to fairing mixes after doing some research, and it seems like it really helps it come off the knife smoother and stick better to the boat rather than just want to peel off. My mix now is a bit of cabosil, about twice as much talc, and then thicken with Q cells or microspheres (I bought 10 lbs of the 3m ones), and it feels pretty close to system three's kwikfair. It does apparently soak up water which isn't great but... so does plywood, so as long as I encapsulate it the same I am not really worried about it. It also sands like a dream.

True ... use what you want in your fairing mix.  WEST, I believe, even sells paper fiber (403 Microfiber) ... which soaks up water too.  Just encapsulate in epoxy and no problem ...

Thanks for the good info on the talc ... :D

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2020, 07:27:11 AM »
Looking fantastic, its going to be an awesome looking boat

Grady300

• Lt. Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2020, 12:05:58 PM »
I really like the overall look of your wheelhouse and how the bulwark blends in
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2020, 01:01:17 PM »

Thanks Chuck, it's certainly turning out as good as I could have hoped for. Most of the design considerations are the stock PR ones from the manual, with the exception of some small tweaks to measurements and the forward leaning windshield instead of the back leaning. Otherwise what Brian spells out has turned out quite well, I am pretty stoked.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2020, 04:45:20 PM »

Thanks Chuck, it's certainly turning out as good as I could have hoped for. Most of the design considerations are the stock PR ones from the manual, with the exception of some small tweaks to measurements and the forward leaning windshield instead of the back leaning. Otherwise what Brian spells out has turned out quite well, I am pretty stoked.

I really like how it's turning out too ... great aesthetics, great balance between bulwark versus the house visor etc.  It's gonna be a great boat!

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

WCR247

• Midshipman
  • Son of a Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: October 23, 2020, 02:04:43 AM »

I really like how it's turning out too ... great aesthetics, great balance between bulwark versus the house visor etc.  It's gonna be a great boat!

Brian

Aside from aesthetics, is there an advantage/purpose for the bulwark vs. no bulwark?
Sail away, Sail away, Three sheets to the wind. Live Hard, Die Hard, This ones for him.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 23, 2020, 06:42:30 AM »
Aside from aesthetics, is there an advantage/purpose for the bulwark vs. no bulwark?

Great question!

The most seaworthy version of the Great Alaskan and/or the Kodiak, have the bulwark and high coaming around the cockpit (running just past the f'w'd part of the dry well).  Why?  More degrees of heel before water can enter the boat.  Or, another way to look at it is that water must rise higher on the side of the hull before water can enter the boat.  Think of a boat adrift and fishing, rolling hard to one side due to steep swells, and then a bigger than average wave strikes the boat on the low side ...

Since this boat is designed for camping and fishing, it is expected that it'll see a lot of slow operation and/or just plain being adrift out on the big water.  This is why the boat has flared sides that help it bob up and over waves as they approach from most any direction.  Bulwarks help keep waves and water off the forward 2/3rds of the hull, and the coaming around the cockpit guide any such water draining aft over the side or at least into the scupper-drained dry well.  The bulwark also makes it safer to walk along the sheer deck to get forward for whatever reason... anyone who's done this on a slippery boat in a steep and unpredictable chop will appreciate this.  If you don't prefer the bulwark, then you could instead put a minor toe rail along the outer edge of the sheer just by trimming your side panels 3/4" high or so when you perform that part of the build (fillet and round it, then glass right over it when you glass the sheer deck to the sides).

The only real downside to the coaming and bulwark is the extra time (and a minor cost) that it takes to add them to the boat ... no big deal in the long run.  In any case, lots of trade-offs ... you have to think about what you want to use your boat for and in what conditions, then make your decisions.  Style and the 'look' of the boat is a big deal.  Having handrails f'w'd have to be fit inside the bulwark and can make the walking-room on the sheer deck slightly less etc.

Brian
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 06:45:47 AM by Brian.Dixon »