Author Topic: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA  (Read 24218 times)

Grady300

• Lt. Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
Re: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA
« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2020, 04:45:20 PM »
Aside from aesthetics, is there an advantage/purpose for the bulwark vs. no bulwark?
  The only real downside to the coaming and bulwark is the extra time (and a minor cost) that it takes to add them to the boat ... no big deal in the long run.  In any case, lots of trade-offs ... you have to think about what you want to use your boat for and in what conditions, then make your decisions.  Style and the 'look' of the boat is a big deal.  Having handrails f'w'd have to be fit inside the bulwark and can make the walking-room on the sheer deck slightly less etc.

Brian
I was thinking for the handrail issue with the bulwark. I might add a 3/4"x 6"+- thick piece on the outside where the wheelhouse starts run it to the bow and have it line up with the lower edge of the rub rail extending to the stern. Then maybe add a 3/4" x 2" to the inside of the bulwark. That would give me about 1 7/8" flat to secure my railing base plates. probably have to have them custom made to work. 
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
Last Completed Build 21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC
28' GA Might Be Next

WCR247

• Midshipman
  • Son of a Sailor
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: October 26, 2020, 04:57:37 AM »
Aside from aesthetics, is there an advantage/purpose for the bulwark vs. no bulwark?

Great question!

The most seaworthy version of the Great Alaskan and/or the Kodiak, have the bulwark and high coaming around the cockpit (running just past the f'w'd part of the dry well).  Why?  More degrees of heel before water can enter the boat.  Or, another way to look at it is that water must rise higher on the side of the hull before water can enter the boat.  Think of a boat adrift and fishing, rolling hard to one side due to steep swells, and then a bigger than average wave strikes the boat on the low side ...

Since this boat is designed for camping and fishing, it is expected that it'll see a lot of slow operation and/or just plain being adrift out on the big water.  This is why the boat has flared sides that help it bob up and over waves as they approach from most any direction.  Bulwarks help keep waves and water off the forward 2/3rds of the hull, and the coaming around the cockpit guide any such water draining aft over the side or at least into the scupper-drained dry well.  The bulwark also makes it safer to walk along the sheer deck to get forward for whatever reason... anyone who's done this on a slippery boat in a steep and unpredictable chop will appreciate this.  If you don't prefer the bulwark, then you could instead put a minor toe rail along the outer edge of the sheer just by trimming your side panels 3/4" high or so when you perform that part of the build (fillet and round it, then glass right over it when you glass the sheer deck to the sides).

The only real downside to the coaming and bulwark is the extra time (and a minor cost) that it takes to add them to the boat ... no big deal in the long run.  In any case, lots of trade-offs ... you have to think about what you want to use your boat for and in what conditions, then make your decisions.  Style and the 'look' of the boat is a big deal.  Having handrails f'w'd have to be fit inside the bulwark and can make the walking-room on the sheer deck slightly less etc.

Brian
Thanks Brian. That was a great explanation. I like the idea of it. Specially the extended version Grady300 made that keeps the same smooth sheer angle. They aren't popular on the gulf coast of Florida. Mostly just nice giant bow rails.
Sail away, Sail away, Three sheets to the wind. Live Hard, Die Hard, This ones for him.

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #242 on: November 13, 2020, 11:07:11 PM »
Primed the port side, 2 passes with interlux primekote 404/414 - going to sand and hopefully paint this week. Looking more boatier every day...

Grady300

• Lt. Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: November 14, 2020, 07:33:45 AM »
Looking great! Love to see a picture what your doing on the stern!
www.wcboatworks.com
28' GA Might Be Next

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #244 on: November 14, 2020, 09:30:29 AM »

So what's your feedback on the 404/414?  Roll and tip or spray?  Does it hide a thousand sins as advertised?

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 14, 2020, 10:51:24 AM »
Sweet

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: November 14, 2020, 11:36:55 AM »
Looking great! Love to see a picture what your doing on the stern!

I haven't got much done there, I am sort of leaving that part until last so that I can step in and out easier. That said, I am planning on doing a euro-style stern with a curved transom and flat platform with a bomar aluminum hatch for accessing the bilge and lower mounts on that platform. I might make a small drywell like you outlined in your transom mock up but haven't really decided yet. I did put some pieces of ply to make a flat mount for the motor/bracket but that's about as far as I have made it. I am also going to get a bob's 6" bracket I think and install that so that it's easier to adjust the height of my motor and also so I can wrap up and paint the transom and make it easier when I get my outboard to mount it.

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: November 14, 2020, 11:53:55 AM »

So what's your feedback on the 404/414?  Roll and tip or spray?  Does it hide a thousand sins as advertised?

I rolled it, no tip, using the fine foam rollers from home depot, which apply it pretty evenly. I did 2 coats. It does hide a thousand sins, but it also shows all the ones that it doesn't hide lol. It sands super smooth. I am using a guide coat which is really helping me get it dialed in. It just takes fooooooooorever... I didn't do a great job fairing this tape seam but I was able to sand it out fairly well. So it's kind of nice for someone who is not very good at fairing like myself. :) That said, I don't think I would spray it unless I was very very confident in my safety equipment. It's extremely noxious stuff, stinks all to high hell. I am sure my neighbors love me right now. At least the lady who had an issue with me sanding moved. :D

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 14, 2020, 06:27:43 PM »

It looks like it's got plenty of body ... if it sands smooth easily, then it's great stuff...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: December 13, 2020, 10:57:42 PM »
A month later and no paint. Lots of this and that though. My main focus has been on the stuff under the cockpit sole, and I think I am largely wrapping that up. I have been slowly studying and buying the parts for my bait system plus my transducer, and fitting them on arrival. I got both of the thru hulls cut and treated, and have been running wiring to all of that as well. I am pretty happy with how my below deck layout has progressed, although hindsight has definitely shown that this is my first shot at this. I originally wanted to run my fuel fill to the aft end, so I had my tank fab'd for all the access through the rear. But once I thought about it for a while I didn't want to dump fuel on the ramp on a steep pull or drop, since the tank is 10 feet long and the top end could be above where the fill lies, so I decided to run it to the port side. Which means the hose runs a bit wompy and meanders through other things. Oh well. I also thought that my vents were 1/2" hose, and I bought 25' of A1-15 hose for it, but then learned it was 5/8" ID when I tried to run it. So if anyone is looking for any fuel hose for cheap(er) hit me up, I have an extra 25' of it. Either way, I think I have my bait system dialed in, and running electrical makes this project start to feel more boaty than woodie.

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 14, 2020, 07:47:37 AM »
You are making good progress, not that fun working with head down in a hole, my knees are sore thinking about it.

json

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: February 04, 2021, 02:39:41 PM »
My birthday came early, hopefully with this in hand my motivation will be through the roof... Now I gotta figure out how the hell I am going to get this out of the back of my truck. I suppose that's not a bad problem to have. :)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 04, 2021, 02:54:26 PM »

It's not hard to get out ... just roll it off the end of the tailgate!  :D :D

Grady300

• Lt. Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: February 04, 2021, 04:11:32 PM »
300 HP She is going to be a screamer!!!! Sweet
www.wcboatworks.com
28' GA Might Be Next

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 04, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »
Suffering from motor envy! wow thats a big one!