Author Topic: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA  (Read 83561 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2021, 04:33:24 PM »
Suffering from motor envy!  Wow that's a big one!!

...Reminds me of the manager in The Office, but I won't mention that :)

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: February 04, 2021, 05:18:35 PM »
Ha... my son said the same thing when he got home from school right now... "Wow, that's a big one!"

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #257 on: February 05, 2021, 08:51:22 AM »
I also got some paint on the boat before I picked up this motor, and wow, when applied right this alexseal paint is freaking amazing. Watching Andy and his boatworks today episodes on applying it helped a lot, I still put it on heavy in spots (lesson learned) but where I put it on correct thickness and with enough thinner it turned to glass, and the bubble popping additive is absolutely amazing too. Going to go for the full gusto and sand each coat and apply super thin, at least 3 coats total.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2021, 01:01:23 PM »
Alexseal paint looks amazing, cant wait to see more.

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2021, 12:09:48 PM »
WOW, Nice paint job
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

MarkB

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2021, 09:13:00 AM »
That Alexseal is nice.  I used Awlgrip on my Widebody, but if I build another boat I'll definitely be using Alexseal - it looks awesome.  That's cool that you don't have to tip it off.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #261 on: March 13, 2021, 05:00:36 PM »
More alexseal pics... I think I am getting the hang of it. While I was sanding today I was remembering back to when I started this project and was like 'there is a lot of sanding, how much sanding could that really be?'... Welcome to reality me. :)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 13, 2021, 09:43:25 PM »
Looks awesome

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 14, 2021, 11:37:43 AM »

Wow! You're doing an amazing job on the paint job!  AND you're building outdoors ... a real inspiration to others!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 14, 2021, 01:53:02 PM »
Outstanding, good choice of paint. What color? Can’t tell if it’s white or grey

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #265 on: March 14, 2021, 05:36:33 PM »
Outstanding, good choice of paint. What color? Can’t tell if it’s white or grey

It's kingston gray. I went back and forth on flashy or neutral, ended going with the neutral option. Maybe the next boat I build will get the fighting lady yellow paint. :) I am going to put a bootstripe on it though, not sure if just white or a combination of capri blue and white, still sorting that out.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 15, 2021, 08:42:06 AM »
Your paintwork looks amazing!  Definitely an inspiration. 

Scott L

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 22, 2021, 06:45:13 PM »
Thanks, still trying to get the hang of this site.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: April 13, 2021, 11:27:04 AM »
Been a minute since I posted an update here. I have been giving the painting a break, waiting for the wind to back off some. In the meantime I have been tying up a lot of loose ends.

I have been working some on the pilothouse, trying to make a dent before the heat becomes oppressive. Working out ergonomics and stuff is a bit tricky, I think what I came up with is going to work pretty well though. It seems like there is always something I ordered that I am waiting to arrive so that I can do a measurement to make sure I don't have to backtrack, so slow going.

I am also working to try to wrap up the under cockpit sole stuff, which seems endless. I have a list of about 15 things that need to get finished before I can glue in the sole, so that will be a big milestone when it happens.

I started my window order, going with Wynne (dealt with Cory, nice guy). They were almost half the cost of a local guy here who I was thinking to go with, who apparently didn't want my business or something (flaky/too busy?), so kind of glad that that worked out to make me explore other options. ETA on windows is 8 weeks.

My trailer is ready, but when the builder was delivering out here a couple weeks ago I was on a trip out at the colorado river, and a miscommunication led to him not bringing it out here. Sounds like it's another month out until they are delivering out here again, which is ok but also kind of holding me up. Oh well, how it goes sometimes I guess.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2021, 01:57:02 PM »

Nice seat... say, is that a 4" jack plate?  Got a link for that?  It looks really nice and compact, light weight.