Author Topic: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA  (Read 85262 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA
« Reply #270 on: April 13, 2021, 02:03:57 PM »

Nice seat... say, is that a 4" jack plate?  Got a link for that?  It looks really nice and compact, light weight.

It is, it's made by bob's machine shop... 4", manual but upgradeable to hydraulic later if I choose to go down that road.

https://bobsmachine.com/product/4-heavy-duty-setback-versa-series-jack-plate-300-hp-max/

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #271 on: April 13, 2021, 04:54:10 PM »

The bracket looks nice.  Just make sure they'll let you return it if the steering cylinder doesn't marry with it well.  That's what happened to me.
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 13, 2021, 10:55:31 PM »
That’s a nice piece of machinery!
How wide is it?   I cannot tell by Bob’s specs in the link.  I was looking at the same one. 

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2021, 08:11:29 AM »
That’s a nice piece of machinery!
How wide is it?   I cannot tell by Bob’s specs in the link.  I was looking at the same one. 

The piece that's up against the transom is a hair under 16 3/4", the widest point further aft is 18 1/4". Something that I wasn't aware of that I hope works ok but might not with where I drilled my holes - the engine mounting holes are higher on the jack plate than the transom holes, so if you have holes drilled to put your outboard on your transom, and bolt this jack plate straight in, the centerline through the prop is going to be about an inch and a half to 2 inches higher using the lowest point on the jack plate than it was without the jack plate. I think I went low enough with my bolts to compensate, but I would have liked some play both down and up, and I think right now I am 25" from the top edge of the plate to the bottom, so pretty much only have up to go. It's a nice plate though, super solid, nice to have the option to put a lift in it later if I want.   

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2021, 08:35:28 AM »
Thank you.   I was having a minor panic attach looking at the dims on the website.  As far as the mounting holes go.   It is my understanding that the jack plate lives in the same holes on the transom that the OB lives in.  So it must  be okay as you describe it. 
 I think Brian has remarked that the further off the transom the water rises above the boat bottom.  Maybe not 1 1/2” in 4”.  Anyway I’m hoping you will want to come up with engine instead of down.  I will wait to drill my holes!
   How much range up and down do you have?

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2021, 08:50:08 AM »
I think it has better than 6" of range (up only), I am not sure I would want to operate at the top of that though. It's probably fine but seems like the amount of plate still in the channels would be getting kind of skinny at the upper end of that, and having 300hp of force pushing on the top of the plate acting like a lever just seems like it could break something with years of abuse. Once I get my trailer in hand I will probably put the motor on pretty soon after that, I can put some more specific pics of how the prop lines up using the bracket and in what relationship to the holes. I think Dan B. bought and returned a jack plate due to the same reason if memory serves...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 14, 2021, 02:02:50 PM »
Thanks for the feed back

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: May 10, 2021, 03:34:23 PM »
Been working on my door, it's pretty much roughed out and ready to finish. VG fir is great stuff, that's the first time I have played with it. Pretty happy with how my door turned out. It seems pretty solid.

I also got to play with soft sand today, medium grade, and I am pretty pleased with how it turned out (without it being dry yet). The texture seems about perfect, I was kind of worried that the medium wouldn't have enough grit. But it certainly looks like it's going to to the job pretty well, so I might have to invest in a big ole bucket of it because there are going to be a lot of things I am going to want to put that on.

Still painting too, one more time sanding the sb side and then final coat and the exterior should be pretty well and done, minus the boot stripe. I went salmon fishing on a wood boat out of half moon bay last week (the hulicat) and sort of paid attention to the fit and finish on that boat, and came to the conclusion that I am kind of obsessing a bit too much over the fit and finish of mine. Wood boats are supposed to have character right? :) Anyways, I think it will look good but it certainly made me feel better about the blemishes and flaws that I didn't fix... White paint so far has also been much harder to use, I tend to want to get full coverage so I put it on heavy, then have to sand out a bunch of runs and sags. It's also extremely hard to see how the coat is going on (missed spots or heavy spots) because it all just looks white when it is bright out...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 03:34:51 PM by json »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 10, 2021, 05:36:25 PM »
sure is looking good!  I am even fairing the cockpit.  Talk about obsessing?!  But I want it to be as near perfect as I can get it.  I dont have motors or a trailer yet so no rush here.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: May 11, 2021, 08:03:38 AM »
sure is looking good!  I am even fairing the cockpit.  Talk about obsessing?!  But I want it to be as near perfect as I can get it.  I dont have motors or a trailer yet so no rush here.

The obsession is real!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #280 on: May 11, 2021, 01:38:18 PM »
Yep, I have been told to STOP obsessing so much over the finish. The way I see it is you can spend a little more time and it will be beautiful forever or leave it and the blemish will be there forever. That said I will have a few blemishes forever :)
Your boat is looking fantastic!!!!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 01:39:08 PM by Grady300 »
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #281 on: May 11, 2021, 04:23:18 PM »
Hey ... If you really want a yacht finish, save yourself some work and ONLY make it pretty on the outside of the hull from the waterline to the gunnels, and on the outside faces of the pilothouse and cuddy side panels ... nobody sees or notices anything else! 

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: May 11, 2021, 10:11:31 PM »
LOL ;D
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 12, 2021, 08:08:38 AM »
Do you think you will make the trip to port Townsend? I sure would like to see your boat?

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: May 12, 2021, 08:30:55 AM »
Do you think you will make the trip to port Townsend? I sure would like to see your boat?
I second that request!!!!!
www.wcboatworks.com
31'4" Kodiak 2021