Author Topic: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA  (Read 85296 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Outdoor build of GA Kodiak, Orange, CA
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2021, 08:30:15 AM »
Outstanding, did you spray on the paint or roll it, looks great?

I rolled it. Still need to do a final sand and 1 more coat, but  this paint is unreal. Seriously great stuff.

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #301 on: June 29, 2021, 01:12:14 PM »
That’s beautiful! Great video getting it on the trailer as well, I’m a ways out from that but it was very instructive. I will be duplicating your bullwork and with the euro transom, our boats will look pretty similar (I hope). That paint does look very good. Congrats - got to feel good.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: June 29, 2021, 04:07:47 PM »
That’s beautiful! Great video getting it on the trailer as well, I’m a ways out from that but it was very instructive. I will be duplicating your bullwork and with the euro transom, our boats will look pretty similar (I hope). That paint does look very good. Congrats - got to feel good.

Thanks Randy, definitely feels good. :) Looking forward to seeing your build progress, you are cruising thus far... Keep it up!

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: August 19, 2021, 04:45:06 PM »
After a summer of fun that didn't include a lot of boat building I am back at it. Today I wrapped up installing my windows, and a number of other tiny shiny things. I also found a rental yard that rents engine hoists by the day, so one of these days soon I might grab one for the day and hang my Yamaha.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2021, 08:25:36 AM »
The whole thing looks shiny!

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2021, 05:00:13 PM »
Stupendous!!

Grady300

• Commander
  • Chuck
    • View Profile
    • West Coast Boat Works
    • Email
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2021, 07:33:18 PM »
Beautiful!!! Super good job Jason!
CNC Cut Kits For The GA Available
www.wcboatworks.com
21'4" Tolman Wide Body CC 2013
31'4" Kodiak 2021

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2021, 11:47:13 PM »
After seeing your boat I’ve been wishing I did the bulwarks to mine.  I really like the look.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #308 on: August 21, 2021, 10:41:25 AM »
Thanks Todd, I totally agree. They did add a lot of time to my build, but helped me work out some flaws in my sheer line, so big plus there. My biggest worry with them tho is they seem pretty vulnerable to getting dinged on the top. I am kind of mulling over solutions for that, right now they have the end grain treatment (silica epoxy rubbed into them). Pretty sure if I drop an anchor on them tho they are gonna get compromised. I might try topping them with some ipe or maybe plastic.

rogerbonnot

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #309 on: August 21, 2021, 01:58:23 PM »
Hi Jason.

I am very grateful and really happy to hear your comment on Alexseal and to see the great photos of the finished boat.
Great job.
I'm building a 25 foot Great Alaskan in Spain, Ibiza. Almost finished.
I'll get my Alexseal paint delivered next week. Will also roll and not spray, no space in the workshop ...
Cabin Top cloude withe, Hull Light gray.

Thanks again for your great job.
Roger Bonnot

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #310 on: August 21, 2021, 05:14:01 PM »
Hey Roger, thanks! Good choice in colors! ;) Post pics of your paint job and your boat, I am positive I am not the only one around here who would love to see it...

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #311 on: August 21, 2021, 05:56:52 PM »
I installed my EZ anchor puller ez5 today, it looks rock solid. I got 700 ft of 1/4" dyneema, another 75' of 8 plait 1/2" nylon and another 50' of 1/4" G4 galvanized chain and went ahead and put that on. To do it I flaked the rode into a couple buckets, put water into them, and then put a half full bucket of water on top to keep tension and keep the dyneema under water. It worked really well. Only 1 problem, I wound it on the wrong direction... doh! Oh well, I will be really good at it the next time I do it lol.

ghelland

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2021, 07:48:06 PM »
Jason,
What do you mean by wrapping the wrong direction?  Were you supposed to have the line pull off the bottom of the spool?

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #313 on: August 22, 2021, 09:45:55 PM »
Jason,
What do you mean by wrapping the wrong direction?  Were you supposed to have the line pull off the bottom of the spool?

Yes, the ez4, 5, and 6 (and maybe the others, not sure) are directional. They have a free-fall clutch that disengages when you hold the down button for 2 seconds, which allows the drum to free spin and drop the anchor as fast as it can go. According to the orientation shown in their drawings I spooled mine backwards. I am not entirely sure I want to pull my anchor rode under the spool, it would probably put a lot of strain on the roller and just not be a great angle of attack on pulling the load. But, now that I think about it, pulling the anchor rode over a bow roller is basically the same sort of thing, so maybe it doesn't matter as much as I think. In any case, I have my rode off of the pile of boxes sitting next to my desk, so for now it's at least out of my way. I might reach out to their rep and ask about it and see what they say. I think the motor is orientable, so if I was so inclined to incur the pain I could pull it off and reinstall it the other way, but I definitely don't want the motor sticking out into the foot room behind the winch where people will be walking, and even if I install it the other way I think I still need to spool it on in the other direction.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 23, 2021, 07:59:37 PM »
I looks right, feeding the top of the roller, maybe the motor can be mounted on either side. 

Those are awesome  though!

I am pretty sure the pic of @Dan Boccia anchor puller the chain is coming off the top of the roller, maybe he will chime in.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 08:02:56 PM by Rbob »