Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 182617 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: My Official build thread. Ya it’s happening!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 06:26:26 AM »
I need to decide which way to I guess. Fortunately I have a long way to go before I make a decision. I made about 20 gallons of sawdust today.  Scarfed all the bottom panels minus the last 2 3/8” scarfs.  I can’t image doing that job with a hand plane.  I used my power planer and it was still a job. 
   A k to the salt mine for a week!

God bless power hand planers!  I love mine ... it's a Bosch :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 08:56:28 PM »
I’m still amazed that my shop space looks like it does.  For those new to my project I’m building my boat in here.  This pic was from November/December 2017
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:57:38 PM by Todd j »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 11:40:36 PM »
I finished  building all the transom parts today.  There’s actually a lot more work there than I anticipated.  I also finished the last of the bottom panel scarfs.  Things are progressing nicely.  Tomorrow it’s chines or shear shelves.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 01:23:42 PM »
Were those boards right on the ground?  THey look pretty warpy ... You should post the AFTER picture in this thread too .... you did a TON of work on that shop!

Brian

Here ... I dug one up:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 01:28:05 PM by Brian.Dixon »
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 09:04:30 AM »
One corner was all swallowed up!  The extra low warpy corner was 11 inches lower than the corner with the sliding barn door that you reposted from the other thread. I raised it 6 inches before the building started to shift.  It’s still low, just not really noticeable.  As i said in the house for a GA thread. Not perfect, but perfectly functional!

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 09:24:41 AM »
You added a lot of long-term life to that shop - what you did was the perfect medicine.  The concrete floor is a huge improvement, as is the elimination of support posts in the middle of the shop by switching to trusses.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 09:54:37 AM »
I lofted the shear shelf templates yesterday. I learned 2 things.  2 doorskins are not big enough.  I added a third partial skin I had left over from another project.  Second, I was so excited to scarf plywood that I scarfed The 5th sheet.  I only needed 4 for the bottom panels. So I think I can fix that by swapping layer 1 and layer 2.  Looks like the stagger for the shelf blanks is about 6” or more.  So layer 2 will become 3/4” and layer 1 will become 3/8”.  There are no consequences down the road that I can think of, is there?   I also wish I would have ripped the bottom panels first.   Now I have to work with 7’ plywood panels for the chines. I need to Think ahead dammit!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:18:18 PM by Todd j »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 11:25:26 PM »
I finished the template for the shelves.  I ended up gluing a small strip of doorskin to the 3 pieces at the joints  and let it sit til next weekend.  They turned out great.  I used my block plane to plane right to the pencil line.  Cut just a hair wide and worked to line.  Only added a few minutes work, but it was worth it.
   What is the reason for the lofting to come in(narrow at the transom) on the full size lofting?   Without this sheet as reference does this just work itself out when you place the shelves in the molds?  I feel like I’m missing something. 

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 10:09:36 AM »
I finished the template for the shelves.  I ended up gluing a small strip of doorskin to the 3 pieces at the joints  and let it sit til next weekend.  They turned out great.  I used my block plane to plane right to the pencil line.  Cut just a hair wide and worked to line.  Only added a few minutes work, but it was worth it.
   What is the reason for the lofting to come in(narrow at the transom) on the full size lofting?   Without this sheet as reference does this just work itself out when you place the shelves in the molds?  I feel like I’m missing something.

1. If I understand right on the 1st post above, one side will have the sheer shelf layers in opposite order ... that's fine as long as the final thickness of everything is as designed.

2. The boat is narrower at the stern than it is at amidships.  It doesn't matter if you use Sheet 002c or Sheet 002c-alt to create the sheer shelves.  If you use the 002 version, the angle where the aft straight section (the A/B line) will result in the boat's width being narrower at the stern.  This isn't obvious in Sheet 002c because loftings are only shown up to 168" from the bow.  In Sheet 002c-alt, the full-size lofting, loftings are provided right to the stern so you can readily see that stern is narrower... but note that the wood from the 168" line to the stern is still a straight run, just like in Sheet 002c.  The results are the same regardless, that the boat is wider at amidships, narrower at the stern.  The molds are correct for carrying the shelves in the right place - Look at shelf molds #1, #2, and #3 in Sheet 010c ... notice how the width gets narrower as you go towards the stern.

The bottom line:  Yes, it all works out in the end!  ;D   The stern end ... haha, pardon the pun :)

Brian

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:14:42 AM by Brian.Dixon »

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 10:32:03 PM »
I lofted and cut the chine flats this weekend.  It was more time consuming than I anticipated.  I learned that the jigsaw is most hated tool encountered so far.   I should be sticking parts together within the next couple weeks as glass and epoxy orders trickle in. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:49:56 PM by Todd j »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2019, 07:04:59 AM »
Lookin' great!

Jigsaw?  Hated?  Ha!  It's the most-used tool in the stack (or maybe a 5" random orbital sander).  I love my jigsaw (a Bosch).  You learn pretty quick how to follow a line, apply side pressure to the blade towards the outside of a cut so the blade doesn't torque around etc ... doesn't take long.  Keep in mind that close enough is good enough too ... epoxy fills gaps.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 06:43:57 AM »
I can’t cut a straight line longer than a inch.  I used my block plane a lot to shape the inside curves.  Maybe I need to upgrade the old jigsaw.  I think after 30 years of bending nails and pulling wrenches I am seeing the early signs of carpal tunnel.  Makes the hand work more difficult and I get tired quicker than i use to.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 07:39:43 AM »
Nice scarfs Todd what technique did you use?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 07:43:10 AM »
I can’t cut a straight line longer than a inch.  I used my block plane a lot to shape the inside curves.  Maybe I need to upgrade the old jigsaw.  I think after 30 years of bending nails and pulling wrenches I am seeing the early signs of carpal tunnel.  Makes the hand work more difficult and I get tired quicker than i use to.

Go slower ... go straighter!  Or like you said, cut your wiggly line outside the marked line then plane down to the marked line.... old carpenter's trick.  But really, if you can cut within 1/8", or even 3/16" of the line, it's close enough ... just put the boat together and let epoxy fill the wiggles.  It's stronger that way anyway.  Just eyeball the various curves before locking them in with epoxy, and if they look fair ... then good.  The boat won't care!

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 10:02:58 AM »
Power hand plane used for scarfs.  Fast and easy!  I then test fit and hand plane if needed. 

I'm trying to cut out parts that fit and match.  Still far from furniture joints