Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 17066 times)

Djeffrey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #420 on: January 20, 2020, 08:07:12 AM »
Todd, I like your hand holds, I think I will steal your design for my cabin.

Todd j

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 20, 2020, 08:11:25 AM »
I will hereby consider it stolen.  Hope they  work for you

Todd j

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 09, 2020, 07:49:56 PM »
Got the cuddy roof on.  The hand grabs I added to the roof framing work great.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:52:02 PM by Todd j »

json

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #423 on: February 09, 2020, 09:11:10 PM »
That looks great! I am gonna steal those hand grabs too :) You know your stuff is legit when everyone steals it...

Todd j

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 09, 2020, 10:59:55 PM »
You too, may steal away.  They are very close to what Brian called for.   I did change them slightly.   They are not my “original idea”.  They do so far seem to be just right in the 4” taller Newport cuddy.  When I have the bunk tops upholstered it will be a different story.   

Todd j

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 13, 2020, 08:54:08 AM »
Brian, I am closing in on many details that need to be worked out to continue with the build.  Right off the bat I wonder would you or would you not endorse building the wheel house to standard height on top of a 4" raised sole, or should I plan on a step down into the house.  The latter would require a bump up in the roof at the door to keep the full size door opening, but is not a deal breaker.  FWIW the extra under sole if endorsed would be used for tanks, storage and what not.  THX

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #426 on: February 13, 2020, 01:05:25 PM »
Brian, I am closing in on many details that need to be worked out to continue with the build.  Right off the bat I wonder would you or would you not endorse building the wheel house to standard height on top of a 4" raised sole, or should I plan on a step down into the house.  The latter would require a bump up in the roof at the door to keep the full size door opening, but is not a deal breaker.  FWIW the extra under sole if endorsed would be used for tanks, storage and what not.  THX

Most people that raise decks opt to raise just the cockpit deck and have a step down into the house.  But as you say, without raising the roof (haha) as well, this shortens the door into the house.  Most just get used to stooping slightly as they pass through.  How tall are you?  Anyway ... you can do whatever combo you want ... the boat won't care.  If you think raising the house roof makes it look top-heavy, consider adding a bulwark along the gunnel as for the Prince Rupert plans and it'll fix that.  Personally, I like having under-deck storage available and you get more when raising the decks, obviously.  Whether or not you need to also raise the house roof as well is an ergonomics question ... whether you want a full height door or don't mind a little stooping, how much headroom you require etc.  It all works though, so no worries.  The headroom inside the house is about 6'4" by default, but still 6' if you don't raise the roof.

Brian
><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Djeffrey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 13, 2020, 01:27:07 PM »
Todd, just having done this maybe I can add to Brian’s comments. I raised both deck and cabin 3 inches. I like the flow of not stepping down into the cab and I did raise the roof. However I should have raised the roof a little more. I am 5’ 11”, My roof is about 6’2” with the roof supports coming down from that. This makes the roof tall enough for me but the supports are just a little low. Don’t hit my head, but close. It I did it again I would measure a little closer and don’t forget roof support coming down from the roof a couple inches.

Todd j

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 13, 2020, 03:09:29 PM »
I added 4" to side height of the hull too.  I dont think that would make it top heavy looking.  I remember pics of a tolman that is so top heavy it looks like it'll float upside down.  I dont like that look.  With the aft cuddy bulkhead the same dimension o ff the sheer decks I could have 6'-4" Inside the house.  Or split the difference?
  Sounds like it's ok to add the 4" umder decks.  Btw I am right at 6 feet tall.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:12:06 PM by Todd j »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #429 on: February 13, 2020, 03:56:26 PM »
It's not unusual to have to stand between handrails inside the house ..you learn pretty quick not to do that on your first trip out, then no problem after that!  Ask me how I learned about that ... I'm 6'3"

The GA hull v. pilot house already has better proportions than other boats.  It'll forgive a little roof raising.  And as mentioned, you can increase the visual depth of the hull (v. the house height) by adding Prince Rupert style bulwarks on the f'w'd sheerline

bd

><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>  The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! -
 http://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Todd j

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 15, 2020, 11:42:00 PM »
Can someone elaborate further on the windshield frame doubler?   Is this just a added layer of plywood to thicken the frames?

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 15, 2020, 11:57:21 PM »
You can build the frames from 1/4" and add a 1/4"doubler to thicken the flange.  For me it was simpler to build from 1/2" 

Djeffrey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 16, 2020, 07:34:10 AM »
Todd are you talking about the doubler that goes down of top of the birth roof?

Djeffrey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 16, 2020, 07:53:37 AM »
I too just used 1/2 plywood for my windshield panels. Then i skipped doubler step.

Todd j

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 16, 2020, 08:51:02 AM »
Ok.   I was talking windshield frames.  I got the doubler that sits on the cuddy.  I think I too will use 1/2” on the frames.  So my next question is did you use 1/2” on the sides for windows too.   I haven’t read ages that far, but wonder what it calls for.  Glad I didn’t go gaga at the okoume store!