Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 182181 times)

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #930 on: August 16, 2022, 06:46:52 AM »

What type/source are those wipers?  They look like they'll work really well...

I agree on the color and your whole color scheme... what a beaut!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #931 on: August 16, 2022, 09:04:10 AM »
Todd, did you make that radar tower? I remember you talking about the 10 side one from that Oregon jumbo, curious if you built that or found it somewhere...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 16, 2022, 11:29:23 AM »
Thanks  Brian,
Here’s the BOM from the wiper thread.  I redlined the parts I didn’t use.  It should be noted that the wiper motors listed were fore 5/8” bulkhead.  I ended up using the same motors for 2 5/8” bulkhead if my memory is correct.  I think it is in the wiper thread a few rows down.  They are beautiful and bitchin!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 16, 2022, 11:36:47 AM »
Json, I took inspiration from the Or  jumbo Jklistof’s “New Creation” He sent me a cad file but I could not open or use it.  I did make it myself. Mine is really quite different.  His, as designed I think is sturdier.  I left room for cables to support the wings if needed.  I just hope my wings don’t create lift.  Mine is 6 sided and the wings sweep forward while the box leans aft. 
  I wasn’t sure if I would like it, but it is growing on me.  Even with the visor, I think it could have been 2-3 inches shorter

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 16, 2022, 04:53:24 PM »

Todd ... those are sweet wipers.  Thanks.  Duly saved!

I'll post the pick and sticky it in the FAQ as a good example...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 26, 2022, 07:08:27 PM »
Had the boat surveyed on Tuesday.  I went with A Mazon and Associates.  Alison seemed quite thorough.  She was in, on, and under the boat and trailer for 5 hours.  I think I would recommend her to anyone that wants a survey.   I expect her report early next week. 
  She was “observant”, but not critical.  I made some super minor mistakes that I will pass on in a separate thread.  I’m not sure that I intend to correct a couple of them.   I’m guessing we are all guilty of at least one.

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #936 on: August 27, 2022, 07:40:00 AM »
One less hurdle! I am interested in seeing your take on the process for sure.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 27, 2022, 08:06:21 AM »
Had the boat surveyed on Tuesday.  I went with A Mazon and Associates.  Alison seemed quite thorough.  She was in, on, and under the boat and trailer for 5 hours.  I think I would recommend her to anyone that wants a survey.   I expect her report early next week. 
  She was “observant”, but not critical.  I made some super minor mistakes that I will pass on in a separate thread.  I’m not sure that I intend to correct a couple of them.   I’m guessing we are all guilty of at least one.

Holy smokes ... 5 hours ?!  I think I'd spend about 5 minutes on the boat ... did she have a mondo checklist or something?  Very curious to know what she looked at and what types of discrepancies she noted...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 27, 2022, 08:55:08 AM »
I’m not really sure.  I just let her do her thing as I had plenty to do otherwise.  She did have “papers”.  She looked at the plans to see how closely I followed them.  She took pics of under the boat.  Pretty much everything.  She had a FLIR that plugged into an iPhone.  Could ID hot spots in engine rooms, electrical cabinets, machinery, etc. I’m glad she didn’t use her hammer on the hull.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 27, 2022, 09:48:04 AM »

I think being a marine surveyor would be fun ...

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 02, 2022, 07:18:17 PM »
Every time I tell the wife I’m done spending money and that the boat is usable as is….   It cost me another grundle of coins.   It’s easy not to account for things like 24” life ring, fenders, CO detectors, smoke alarms, and fire extinguishers.   
  On a positive note, I fired up the wallas Viking today so that’s another win

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 11, 2022, 08:21:07 PM »
I can finally resume my search for Insurance.  I got my complete survey from A. Mazon and Associates today.   The as is value according to her is 90K.  With the engines and electronics installed she values it at $150k.  She used Devlin bay cruiser type boats as comps.  She provided me a fix-it list.  Stuff I have yet to buy for safety.  Even noticed there was no tie wire on the anchor shackle. 
   I thought the boat would come in quite a bit higher with all the top tier gear and extra goodies.  I doubt I could replace it for 150K with the prices of materials these days. 
   Anyway, maybe/hopefully someone will insure this thing and I can get some Zukes on the transom and wet this thing. 

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #942 on: September 14, 2022, 04:02:00 PM »
$150k seems... maybe about what I would have thought? Maybe a little higher than I would have thought? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Either way, sounds like you got the survey and insurance bottlenecks cleared, next stop the big blue.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 17, 2022, 01:16:06 PM »
I weighed the boat today.  The dry weight is 4650.  With 1250 pounds on the tongue

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 17, 2022, 07:14:50 PM »

That weight must be with motors and brackets, right?  More than 25% of the weight on the tongue seems high ... seems like I recall 10-15% is the target.  Anyone?