Author Topic: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA  (Read 179100 times)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
Re: My Official build thread. 27 1/2’ GA
« Reply #945 on: September 17, 2022, 11:18:27 PM »
No motors, no fuel.  Just the boat.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #946 on: September 18, 2022, 07:06:25 AM »
No motors, no fuel.  Just the boat.

Yeah, my original calcs were without all the items that go in the boat ... windows, winches, etc etc. ... and for a 27-28 foot boat came out a little less than 4000#, but that's pretty light.  If your boat were a glass or aluminum one, it would weigh twice what it does ... which is why these get such better mileage than commercial versions.

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: September 18, 2022, 08:53:46 AM »
I didn’t intentionally try to build lite, I have some stuff other folks don’t.  I think as far as goodies go my list most resembles Dan B.  I’m gonna dig up his weight for fun. 
  As far as tongue weight goes I think it’s too much.  Before loading the boat I moved the trailer axles as far forward as I could.  With the motor on the back it will help.  I don’t think it will completely offset 900 pounds of gasoline but it will help.  I do have about 8” of Trailer bunk left over.  I will likely shove her back at least that distance at first launch and weigh again.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 18, 2022, 11:55:24 AM »

If you're going to be "too something" on tongue weight, being heavier on the tongue is FAR safer than having the weight too far aft ... that'll jack knife ya!
The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: September 18, 2022, 03:50:35 PM »
Here’s some pics of my latest batch of finishing touches
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 03:57:37 PM by Todd j »

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #950 on: September 19, 2022, 12:04:36 PM »
Wow, that looks phenomenal. Thanks for posting pics, giving us some inspiration of what to work towards... :) What kinds of hinges did you use for your cabinet doors?

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: September 19, 2022, 12:31:59 PM »
Inside I used regular soft close cabinet hinges with a ball catch on each door.   The soft closers aren’t really worth the extra money.  What the do offer is a little resistance so the doors never slam.  I do like that.  I am a little disappointed with the drawers.  I used the dowel catch at the rear of the drawer.  They work as designed, but are problematic with any weight toward the rear of the drawer.  A real bugger when trying to open the drawer with the stove in it.  The same catch would work fine in the front of the drawer I think and be much easier to lift up and slide out even with them full of stuff.
  On the other doors I eased flush mount 1 1/2” SS butt hinges.  I do like them.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #952 on: September 20, 2022, 08:17:36 AM »
Looking awesome! My tongue weight is right around 10% - on the light side, but it's been pulling like a dream, and I've done several 4-hour pulls with it.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: September 20, 2022, 10:54:34 AM »
I fully intend to adjust the tongue weight.  I just don’t see the point in it until I fuel up and get the Main on.  I looked up the weight of yours and you are lighter than me without motors by about 300 pounds-ish. I remember you have a light duty tow rig.  I’m beginning to have concerns over the abilities of my old f250 to make the trip to Santa Barbara next October.   I’m guessing with 2 more people with dive gear and the boat further outfitted it will add at least another 2000 pounds to the load

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: September 25, 2022, 06:57:21 PM »
Made a sexy little rod not fall outer thing
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 06:59:03 PM by Todd j »

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: September 26, 2022, 06:45:55 AM »

Great idea ... "not fall" is a good plan :D

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 05, 2022, 01:33:36 PM »
I finally got around to sealing up my hatches that are on the cockpit deck.  They allow access to the fuel senders and clamps.  I used cordstock and provided glue from the local seals company. 
  I made a router table to oversize the rabbit and filled it with epoxy and then I put in the proper size rabbit

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 06, 2022, 07:00:42 AM »

Screw-down hatches that seal are the only way to guarantee (if possible) keeping water out from under the deck, but still provide you with access when needed.  Making your own let's you have a smooth deck too, no trip hazard...

Good on ya!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 14, 2022, 07:18:22 PM »
Today I finished up the install of my new radar and chart plotter.  I also installed the transducer, but my cable is about 6’ too short.  At least my radar data and power cables are 45’ long.  Easy to shrink the power cable not so easy on the data cable.  I sure would like to get rid of the extra behind the dash.  It’s kinda fun to get to work on the boat some more.  Engines in a week!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: November 04, 2022, 04:37:43 PM »
Another milestone!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 04:44:58 PM by Todd j »