Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 15534 times)

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #345 on: May 26, 2020, 07:35:21 AM »
Yes I think it lined up well after I cut the top off the mount. Decided rather than spend all that time priming and painting I sealed it up with several coats of epoxy and then sprayed it with bed liner which made mounting the motor a lot easier, I didn’t have to worry about chipping the paint.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #346 on: May 26, 2020, 09:14:07 AM »

As always ... very professional work.  I definitely agree that bedliner on the top edges of transom cut-outs and motor mounts is a good idea.  Maybe I'll do that on my little 14' skiff with the clamp-on motor .... :D

The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 05, 2020, 02:13:10 PM »
Official weight, empty no fuel or gear. Trailers like a dream. Couldn’t be happier with the weight results.

Total weight of trailer and boat.  4900 pounds

Weight of trailer alone.    2395

Weight of boat and motor 2505 pounds

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 05, 2020, 02:22:14 PM »

WOW and congratulations!  What an awesome boat!!  8) ;D 8) ;D 8)

Brian
The Great Alaskan - Professional grade offshore performance - Designed to be built by anyone! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

json

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #349 on: June 05, 2020, 02:37:09 PM »
Amazing. I have loved watching your build progress, now on to the fun part of getting it wet! Also, that seems incredibly light, trailer + boat less than 5k is great, that must be very very easy to tow.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 05, 2020, 02:38:54 PM »

It does seem a little light - by 500#? ... How'd you weigh everything? 

Farmboy

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 05, 2020, 09:26:21 PM »
That’s sweeter than kicking out the last bale  in your biggest field!

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 05, 2020, 09:39:52 PM »
Yea I agree on thinking it was light. I am going to call the trailer people and confirm the trailer weight. Also makes me wonder if the kid at the scale had a clue. It does trailer light and easy. Will have to double check it on a different scale. Brian, I pulled it onto the scale, unhooked the truck and just weighed the trailer and boat.

Rbob

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 06, 2020, 08:11:19 AM »
Wow!  I am so happy to see your boat on a trailer looking fantastic,  I just went back to when you started, 1 yr and 4 months.  Way to go and congratulations.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 06, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
Yea I agree on thinking it was light. I am going to call the trailer people and confirm the trailer weight. Also makes me wonder if the kid at the scale had a clue. It does trailer light and easy. Will have to double check it on a different scale. Brian, I pulled it onto the scale, unhooked the truck and just weighed the trailer and boat.

Cool ... Weighing large boats and trailers is difficult to do accurately.  At 45# per cubic foot of wood/glass/epoxy average in boat construction like this (the most accurate weight I could come up with), my CG spreadsheet says a 26-footer with glass, tanks, normal accommodations, weighs around 2900#.  Motor adds to that.  Boat length adds.  Fewer or different accommodations and construction details can take away from that, plexiglass takes away from that (H-channel and plexiglass is lighter than aluminum frames w/real glass) etc.  Ball-park is the best we can do.  But the good news is that your boat turned out on the lighter end of the spectrum and has LOTS and LOTS of payload capacity .... figure a payload of 4000# to even 5000# is not too much for your boat. 

Brian

json

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: June 16, 2020, 08:41:12 AM »
DJeffrey, I am trying to look on your rigging of your yami, did you rig using the digital steering and control or did you have to go the mechanical route? I can't find information about a yamaha hub for the digital control or really anything else about it other than it exists (just people showing off the joystick), and can't quite tell from your pics if you have a hydraulic unit back there. Any further info about how you went about rigging your steering and controls would be awesome.

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2020, 09:30:07 AM »
Json, I used a standard seastar power steering unit. I had to order the hoses separate because the kits didn’t have hoses 26 feet long. Very simple to install.

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2020, 09:33:12 AM »
This is my rigging
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 09:34:03 AM by Djeffrey »

json

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: June 17, 2020, 11:59:32 PM »
Awesome, very helpful. Thx!

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 26, 2020, 09:00:54 AM »
A few pics of my recent work. I’m thinking it should be on the water in two weeks. I won’t be done with some of the finish work but that can wait.