Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 91681 times)

json

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #390 on: August 30, 2020, 08:55:39 PM »
Jeez that's a beautiful setting. I might have to tow my boat up there when I finish. Nice work Dennis, thanks for the heads up on the water ingress at the ph bulkhead. It's something I have been wondering about so I can take a look at that now while I have it open. I was planning on a bracket but who knows about that, it's probably better just to plan a bit high on the deck slope to make sure that doesn't happen. You might have an 8" hydraulic bracket in your future... :)

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 30, 2020, 09:00:08 PM »
Wow, a lake with a view!  You are very lucky to live near enough to enjoy such a place.

I wonder how your boat will sit with half a tank of fuel or less all else being equal. 

Glad you are enjoying your boat!

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #392 on: August 30, 2020, 09:08:33 PM »
Dennis, you need a 9.9 high thrust as the minimum engine that will reliably push these boats fast enough to be able to steer against current, wind, seas, etc. Many would argue, with good reason, that a 15 or 20 would actually be better. All that said I'm very happy with my Suzuki 9.9 high thrust.

And any 9.9 would be too big for typical dinghies, so I would recommend a much smaller outboard for the dinghy....like a 3 or a 5 or maybe even an electric one. I personally do not run an engine on the dinghy, preferring to row, and I'm quite happy with that.

Also, last time I brought a level on the boat, my bunks turned out to be level while at rest on the water.

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 30, 2020, 11:04:04 PM »
I think it is wise to slope the deck aft if you can.  I did on mine

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #394 on: August 31, 2020, 05:33:55 AM »
Thanks Dan, the wife and I were just talking about a kicker for our Alaska trip. One we can move over to an inflatable. Suggestions?? Shaft length? I find it amazing that all our boats are all so different, my floor is level with the stringers as well. My front bunks are very level on the water, I think you said yours tilted. I wonder if my swim platform has something to do with it. Most likely it's where the fuel tank sits. So hard to get that center of gravity right.

The ideal trim, FYI, is when the bow is about 1-1/2 inches higher than the stern ... hard to measure, I know.  It's less than half a degree (measured on top of the stringers).  Your best measure is as you've done ... check which way the water drains on a level deck.  If loaded up for a Big Trip tends to put the boat a little down at the bow, one fix that can be considered is to put the motor(s) on a bracket (for those that have a standard transom) or move weight to the stern ... batteries, ice box, add a kicker as Dan stated etc.  "Boat's are teeter-totters, never level"...

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 31, 2020, 05:07:30 PM »
Brian, I don't want to make your head swell but I ran into a couple sea dory guys at Yellowstone who usually spend there summers on the water between Skagway and Prince Rupert. They love your boat. They looked it over top too bottom and said it's the perfect alaska boat. Couldn't say enough about the design.😀😀😀😀😀

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 01, 2020, 07:46:27 AM »
Brian, I don't want to make your head swell but I ran into a couple sea dory guys at Yellowstone who usually spend there summers on the water between Skagway and Prince Rupert. They love your boat. They looked it over top too bottom and said it's the perfect alaska boat. Couldn't say enough about the design.😀😀😀😀😀

I appreciate the kind words!  When I first designed it, I had dreams of exploring SE Alaska with it, taking it across the Gulf of Alaska over to Anchorage, Kodiak etc ... but so far, life happens and none of that has worked out for me :(

bd

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 01, 2020, 07:52:06 AM »
Well we are picking up the torch and heading up next summer. Planning on trailering to prince Rupert and cruising up to Scagway then back down to Rupert.🤞🤞🤞🤞

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 01, 2020, 09:11:37 AM »

That'll be awesome :D

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 01, 2020, 09:49:28 AM »
I did the Rupert to SE leg on the ferry as a kid. Love to do it again. The summer drive through Frazier River canyon was a bearcat in a 78 Ford with no AC

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 01, 2020, 10:35:47 AM »
I did the Rupert to SE leg on the ferry as a kid. Love to do it again. The summer drive through Frazier River canyon was a bearcat in a 78 Ford with no AC

The drive through the Frazier River canyon is worth it for the beauty...

Jim_Hbar

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 01, 2020, 10:56:47 AM »
FYI - It's the "Fraser Canyon" .

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 01, 2020, 02:38:46 PM »
FYI - It's the "Fraser Canyon" .

Thenk yoo.  I sit humbully correxted...

:o ;D ;D 8) ::)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 01, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »
Thats the memory of a 3rd grade boy, who by the way probably got c in geography if he was lucky.  I'm sure the scenery is.second to none.  I just remember it was hot as hell

rhenryinoregon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #404 on: September 06, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »
This discussion is inspiring. One big goal with this boat is to do the inside passage to Glacier Bay when it's done. I'm making a lot of design notes that will help me do that. Is there a thread out there that talks specifically about long haul cruising or favorite anchorages? I hope when you go you're able to post pictures of your trip. I spent a week at Port Harry a couple years ago and it was amazing.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com