Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 26877 times)

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #435 on: December 23, 2020, 11:16:01 AM »
Barrolrole. Thank you and I will defiantly take you up on that offer when we get up your way.

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 23, 2020, 11:24:35 AM »
A few winter projects. New Garmin 942xs chartplotter with radar and transducer. Windshield rock guard. Cover for rear deck and lastly articulating arm for chartplotter which allows my wife to use plotter from her seat.

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 23, 2020, 12:40:03 PM »
That is a fancy articulating arm! I am impressed with your skills. Good idea on the rock guard, it would suck to break a window just driving to your destination.

barrelroll

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #438 on: December 23, 2020, 09:15:47 PM »
Barrolrole. Thank you and I will defiantly take you up on that offer when we get up your way.

Sounds good. Give me a heads up when you have an idea on schedule, I'm in and out all summer though my wife is around all the time and would gladly give you guys a hand and attempt to give away my tools and extra boat junk while I was gone. Juneau is a pretty good spot to plan on a resupply with a Costco, a couple major grocery stores, a sportsman's warehouse, reasonable priced marine fuel, a couple fish processors that will ship out fish, and a lot of boat parts in stock in town. 

I'm interested to see how you like the Garmin. I'm looking at the same package in a 7". I really like that arm, we were thinking about 2 GPS so the passenger could have one to pick out the next fishing spot thought that arm might solve that issue. When seas are rough it's so much easier to have someone else futz with the GPS while you focus on driving.

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #439 on: December 26, 2020, 08:52:28 AM »

Sounds good. Give me a heads up when you have an idea on schedule, I'm in and out all summer though my wife is around all the time and would gladly give you guys a hand and attempt to give away my tools and extra boat junk while I was gone. Juneau is a pretty good spot to plan on a resupply with a Costco, a couple major grocery stores, a sportsman's warehouse, reasonable priced marine fuel, a couple fish processors that will ship out fish, and a lot of boat parts in stock in town. 

I'm interested to see how you like the Garmin. I'm looking at the same package in a 7". I really like that arm, we were thinking about 2 GPS so the passenger could have one to pick out the next fishing spot thought that arm might solve that issue. When seas are rough it's so much easier to have someone else futz with the GPS while you focus on driving.

For what itís worth I put the same Garmin package in my Thunderjet last winter and used it extensively over the summer. Love it! Had some foggy days where with a little practice I was comfortable going out when I could only see 50 feet or so. It could actually pick up my crab pot floats on a calm day. I have the 9Ē MFD on mine. Iíll be transferring it to the GA when itís done. I may have to steel your articulating arm idea - thatís pretty cool.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

Rbob

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 26, 2020, 02:22:36 PM »
Are you connecting VHF to Garmin so AIS will display on chart plotter?

Djeffrey

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 27, 2020, 08:00:40 AM »
Yes I will be doing that. I know I have to register my vhf to do that, still have to research more on that. I like that safety feature.

ghelland

• Midshipman
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 27, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
Have any of you tried using the Wifi on your garmin to connect with a note pad for a second control station?

rhenryinoregon

• Sub-Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #443 on: December 27, 2020, 03:49:58 PM »
My next radio will be a Garmin and have AIS. What the heck. Iím still figuring out the second station but I have used Garmin wifi with iPhone and even a cheap 7Ē tablet and it worked really well. Pretty cool technology.
Randy Henry, SILVERTON Oregon
Randy_Henry@msn.com

kennneee

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: December 27, 2020, 05:55:13 PM »
I have a Garmin 942XS and it works well for the copilot to use the HELM feature on Active Captain to screen mirror the 942XS on an IPAD. The other thing that works even better is to have Navionics running on the IPAD which has slightly different charting than the Garmin unit. Gives you 2 possible opportunities to see obstructions that one chart sometimes misses. My wife loves to have a chart to ďcheck my workĒ which isnít a bad thing. I find NAVIONICS auto routing to be much better than Garmins. Ironic since Garmin owns Navionics. I often plan my routes on the IPAD using Navionics and then transfer the route to the plotter. Sounds complicated but is quite easy.