Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 91758 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2019, 07:48:14 PM »
I was thinking of glassing after I flip so I could roll the glass over the stringers and onto the hull. I would then build up with tape over that. Not sure if that’s clear or not.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2019, 06:20:01 AM »
I was thinking of glassing after I flip so I could roll the glass over the stringers and onto the hull. I would then build up with tape over that. Not sure if that’s clear or not.

You can do that.  It would be strong to use a small fillet along where the stringers meet the hull so that the glass cloth can make the turn from the stringer's sides onto the hull, then go back and add a heavier fillet and the required glass taping.  BTW, running glass out onto the hull toughens up the boat for things like roller bunks on trailers (they create point pressure on the hull while trailering).  Not necessary, but fine to do.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
You bring up something I have been thinking about. Living in Colorado I will be trailering a lot . I feel it would be best to have a trailer with bunks under the main stringers rather then rollers. I feel it provides better support. What do you think?

Dennis

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »
You bring up something I have been thinking about. Living in Colorado I will be trailering a lot . I feel it would be best to have a trailer with bunks under the main stringers rather then rollers. I feel it provides better support. What do you think?

Dennis

Bunks are best for trailering, especialling on pothole roads.  The only time I don't like them is if you don't back the trailer deep enough into the water and the boat 'grips' the bunks while you're trying to slide it on or off.  OTOH, some don't like rollers because the boat rolls off too easily.  Rollers are more forgiving if you drive the boat onto the trailer like some do, but you usually need a pal to hook you up if the boat's trying to roll back down into the water.  Decisions .... decisions..... :)   I've owned both and I like and dislike both for different reasons.

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2019, 06:20:24 PM »
Making progress. Having a blast. Used my power planner to scarf the 3/8 plywood but found a router jig worked best for the small scarfs on the chines.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 06:45:38 AM »
 Nice jig .... simple, effective.  The scarfs turned out perfect too :)

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 10:29:25 PM »
I concur.  My scarfs didn’t look that good, not even close.  Thankfully the epoxy joint hides all your sins.   An you do multiple sheets with the jig as it is in the photo?

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 09:26:22 AM »
I concur.  My scarfs didn’t look that good, not even close.  Thankfully the epoxy joint hides all your sins.   An you do multiple sheets with the jig as it is in the photo?

Personally, I like rough or crooked scarfs .... you get more epoxy in the joint if things don't fit tightly, and that both helps make it less likely that you'll have glue starvation and it makes the joint stronger.  Just align the parts so that in spite of scarf imperfections, they are glued together straight.

Brian

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 04:48:46 PM »
Todd, I can only do one scarf at a time. It took about 30 minutes to do the scarfs on one chine, not bad.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2019, 07:48:58 PM »
Slow progress this week. On the beach

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2019, 07:58:59 PM »
Productive day

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2019, 08:05:58 PM »
I wanted to say that I have been a woodworker for over 35 years, and I can honestly say I have never followed such precise plans in all that time. After fitting the molds and opening the bottom section I keep waiting to find a flaw that I need to correct. None yet. Well done Brian, I think I made the right choice in choosing the GA.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2019, 08:17:36 AM »
I wanted to say that I have been a woodworker for over 35 years, and I can honestly say I have never followed such precise plans in all that time. After fitting the molds and opening the bottom section I keep waiting to find a flaw that I need to correct. None yet. Well done Brian, I think I made the right choice in choosing the GA.

Thanks ... that's quite a compliment and I appreciate the kind words!  Your boat (now it's a boat ... it's all curvy!) is looking fantastic!  A job well done!

Brian

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2019, 09:14:44 AM »
Brian, do you find it odd that I don’t need a spreader on my bow. It measures out without one?

Dennis

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2019, 03:15:50 PM »
Brian, do you find it odd that I don’t need a spreader on my bow. It measures out without one?

Dennis

As it should!  The spreader is just a 'guarantee' that even if someone's plywood bends differently, the bottom is forced into shape anyway.  You're the first one with truly average bow curvature and didn't need the spreader!  (I'd use it anyway - it provides support and confidence....)

Brian