Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 93592 times)

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2019, 08:36:34 AM »
Chose to do my seam a little different. Rather than wetting it out in a box I cut to full length, rolled it up and rolled it out a little at a time as I wet it out in the boat. Let set for about one hour between layers. Worked great. Made a great wet on wet seam with no joints.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2019, 08:40:47 AM »

I agree ... that looks a lot easier than the piece-by-piece in-a-box method.  And you can't argue with the results .... very professional :)

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2019, 10:05:54 PM »
Maybe I will try that on the next one

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2019, 04:09:51 PM »
I think I need to make some friends. What a pain in the ass doing this alone.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2019, 05:11:27 PM »

Sorry .... I had to laugh at the PITA remark :D

I did it alone too ... only no tractor.  Just block-n-tackles ... no chain hoist, no friends (my mug scares them away unless they have the beer before helping out :D )

Brian

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2019, 10:51:13 PM »
I hope to be caught up to you before the weekend is over!   If it makes you feel better I will be handling the fairbody lonesome too.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2019, 09:35:37 AM »
Todd,Eat your wheatis . That sucker is a handful. Was reading your posts on your build, I have used almost half of the epoxy you have used. I have notice that my okoume plywood does not seem to soak up the epoxy too much

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2019, 05:07:50 PM »
Brian, I was studying plans today and am looking at drawing 21a. In the top left corner ( view from aft ) I see two supports for deck. Is this the 4 inch raise in the deck everyone is talking about or is it 4 more inches above that.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2019, 05:39:29 PM »
Brian, I was studying plans today and am looking at drawing 21a. In the top left corner ( view from aft ) I see two supports for deck. Is this the 4 inch raise in the deck everyone is talking about or is it 4 more inches above that.

Nope ... check step #4 in the drawings.  Those supports just support the drywell - they rest on top of the deck - not required but if you use the removable front panel concept, with the bilge being wide open behind the removable panel, then those two side 'supports' just add walls on the left/right to keep stuff on the deck from rolling around and ending up in the bilge.  You can leave them out if you are using a deckplate for bilge access since the deckplate will prevent stuff from falling into the bilge.

To raise the deck, people add additional wood right on top of the cockpit area stringers before putting the deck in - not a bad idea, especially if you slope the deck towards the stern to assist the cockpit in being self-bailing.  If you have plywood with a natural warp, this is a good place to use it too ... put the crown upwards and it'll help water drain to either side of the cockpit deck, and then aft to the scuppers.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2019, 11:03:56 PM »
Have you built your shelves and transom yet?  I built all the parts before doing any assembly.  I do have a bit of epoxy on the floor.  I scraped a lot of epoxy with my carbide scraper between jobs too.   I still need to make my fillet mix thicker where it can run out of the joint.  I predict 5 gallons gone by the time I tape the exterior joints.  I am using hydrotek plywood

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2019, 06:19:33 AM »
Have you built your shelves and transom yet?  I built all the parts before doing any assembly.  I do have a bit of epoxy on the floor.  I scraped a lot of epoxy with my carbide scraper between jobs too.   I still need to make my fillet mix thicker where it can run out of the joint.  I predict 5 gallons gone by the time I tape the exterior joints.  I am using hydrotek plywood

Slightly wet when filling bottom panel seams is better than slightly dry when it comes to your epoxy mix.  Just tape the bottom side to help prevent epoxy from running out.  I'd rather see the end grain saturated as well as possible.  I do like to have milled glass fiber in the mix for hull seams too, although not absolutely required.

Brian

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2019, 06:44:49 AM »
Groovy.  I have way more milled glass than I will use if I stick to the plans.  I will use some up on the exterior chine seems.  I used plastic packing tape to hold back runny epoxy.  Works pretty well if you peal it off as soon as it cures.  Otherwise it’s a bear!

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
Yea Todd that is why you have used more then me. I am still working on shelves and transom. I will catch up to you I’m sure. Still thinking through my transom a bit, I’m doing a custom swim platform with a rear door. Going to be a head scratcher, but fun. Enjoying your posts

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2019, 12:59:58 PM »
Looking at your above pic I see a roller there behind d your tape.  Every time I use one it seems to just lift the gas off the project.  I've been going the squeegee route.  Hows it working for you?

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2019, 10:16:18 PM »
I like laying epoxy down with a squeegee first then I roll it out with the aluminum roller that has grooves in it. That seats the cloth and removes air bubbles. Lastly I back roll it with the foam roller to even out the epoxy.