Author Topic: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado  (Read 93141 times)

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 28 GA in Pagosa Springs colorado
« Reply #285 on: March 24, 2020, 06:08:54 PM »
Sweet, you can get Yamaha this year! Could not get them anywhere in the country in 2018 when I was shopping. I'm happy with the Suzuki, but love the lighter weight of the Yamaha. Looks like you went with a 200, is that right?

Also, I'm very curious what you're up to with the wiring from the fuse block to the terminal strip - why take up all that space instead of just running the field wiring to the fuse block directly? On every boat I've worked on I'm always fighting for space. Nice looking wiring...you must have something up your sleeve.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:11:23 PM by Dan Boccia »

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 24, 2020, 07:19:18 PM »
I’ve been told that the reason for the strip is easy diagnostic check. I am following a diagram I found on “new wire marine”. By the way What size wire did you run to your panel. How many amps were you going for? I think I can get by with 60 amps to the panel and not even use that.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: March 25, 2020, 03:15:11 PM »
Interesting - just a suggestion, before you get too far along, be sure you will have enough space for whatever electronics/electrical equipment, gauges, etc. plus plenty space for wire runs before you get too far along. I personally see no advantage to the terminal strip, it only adds wire distance and terminal connections, all of which add to the complexity, time to install, takes up valuable space, and also adds expense.

I ran #4 wire to the panel and I'm happy with that choice. Heater, fridge, 3 wiper motors, all the electronics plus relatively long run justify the wire size.

Sure wish I had a heated boat shop to work on, I'm itching to get into the final outfitting!

Todd j

• Commodore
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 26, 2020, 06:40:08 AM »
Is there end all be source for wiring a boat?  It won’t be long until I need to do it.  I don’t have any experience in this department and would like it clean and simple and semi expandable

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 26, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
Todd,

You can make it simple as you want, blue seas has support and diagrams.

I am using circuit breakers on the pot puller, windlass and downriggers.
https://www.bluesea.com/systems

Wiring: Both makes custom battery cables:
http://www.bestboatwire.com/marine-electrical-supply

This ebay seller :  https://www.ebay.com/str/Genuinedealz?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Just get a ratchet style crimper and marine grade shrink terminals, Some people use flange fork terminals but I really like the snap fork terminals, they get a little narrow and you just push them on the stud they will snap in place and stay.

There is a ton of info others who have done amazing jobs wiring, you should check out Dan Boccia's thread for more detailed info.

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 26, 2020, 11:56:28 AM »
Rbob, I have tried to avoid it because I am not a big reader but I have stepped back and started reading Nigel Calder’s  “ boatowners mechanical and electrical manual” . There is so much info when it comes to electrical you need to understand why you are doing what you are doing. Lots of videos on utube as well.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 26, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
Dido on the books, I have that one and the 12v bible. 

No way to avoid it!  lol!  Unless you pay someone else to do it.

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: March 26, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »
Dennis, I am positive that reading Calder's book and understanding his message is going to result in a lot of time saved. In particular, understanding how batteries charge and discharge and why, how to size cables correctly and conservatively to avoid risk of an electrical fire (including bundling, temperature rating, voltage drop, understanding ampacity), how to protect the wires with fuses and breakers and why, how to avoid electrical interference with electronic equipment, and finally, the importance of good terminal connections so you can avoid corrosion and again have a safe boat.

I remember slumping down in my chair in mild frustration, going back to that book, and realizing I had all the info I needed all along, I just had to take the time to read it and understand it. Keep tweaking your design sketches as you go. Keep your credit card in your pocket until you're confident your sketch reflects what you really want and is safe and convenient and you have the components selected that best fit your needs.

As we discussed, Jeff Cote at Pacific Yacht Systems has fantastic youtube videos on boat electrical design and installation, including solar. Those videos really cemented some things from Calder.

One resource I have not yet mentioned yet is the "Marine How To" site, which has some of the best info I've been able to find on the construction/installation side of things - what makes a good crimp connector, what tools work the best, how to get a good crimp, etc. Especially this page:

https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

Finally, I recommend ordering the current Blue Sea Systems catalog. It was very helpful to have the whole catalog on hand rather than going to the website all the time. And as I mentioned to you in private, I've grown very fond of their Circuit Wizard phone app....but was only able to use it confidently after reading Calder.

I know Brian has talked about putting together a basic electrical schematic for folks, but we all use our boats so differently, and electrical is such a safety issue, that I think if we're going to wire the boat ourselves, we need an education.

You're doing awesome everywhere else, once you get on step with the electrical fundamentals your electrical system will be on par with everything else you've done!

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 02, 2020, 12:44:34 PM »
Couldn’t take one more minute of faring and sanding. Had to throw some paint on to see if all the sanding is worth it.  Used alexseal top paint over alexseal finish primer, I like this paint. I did not use any reducer on the first coat but think I will on the second. The paint is very thick without reducer but still looks great.

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2020, 01:01:28 PM »
It's so awesome to see some paint on a boat!  I am sure without a doubt that your sanding and fairing was worth every minute.  (I agree the sanding / fairing process sucks)

Good to see progress.

Bob

Dan Boccia

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2020, 02:09:13 PM »
Alexseal is the product I decided I would use if I was unhappy with System Three paint. I do strongly prefer water-based (System Three) so I can avoid the fumes. Awesome to hear you liked it! How did you apply it?

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2020, 05:27:32 PM »
I applied with mohair mini roller from redtree. Yes the fumes are stronge.

Brian.Dixon

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Glacier Boats of Alaska
« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2020, 06:54:04 AM »

Will you be using adhesive-back nonskid or other nonskid treatment on the 'swim platform'?

Looking fantastic!!

The Great Alaskan - Professional performance - Easy to build! - https://www.glacierboats.com  ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?> ... ><((((?>

Djeffrey

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 03, 2020, 07:27:04 AM »
I am going to use soft sand for non skid. Some good videos on utube about how to apply

Rbob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2020, 09:10:26 AM »
Good choice,  you can order samples from softsand which include both application methods of different grits.

I ordered the samples, just cant find where I put them..